Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro

http://www.insideline.com/2011-ford-mustang.html

2011 Mustang quicker than the 2010 Camaro SS??? Edmund's begs to differ.

2011 Mustang GT: 1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.3 @ 107.3

2010 Camaro SS: 1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.1 @ 110.4
Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm... Seems to me even with 5.0 the GT still needs the track pack to beat the SS. The SS even pulled higher gs at .89 compared to the GTs .87. Interesting article....

The SS to me sounds like a better value for what you're getting.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i knew that would happen.....
my buddy witha 5th gen was all worried, lol. he's had 3 mustangs and now hes on his first camaro. i told him i'd kick him back to the other side if they started being faster now
Old 04-26-2010, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ArcticMissile
2011 Mustang GT: 1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.3 @ 107.3

2010 Camaro SS: 1/4-mile (sec. @ mph) 13.1 @ 110.4
In your rush to win a pissing contest between the 2010 Camaro and 2011 Mustang, you forgot to add this from the same article.

"That's a razor-thin advantage for the Camaro and, just to throw in some additional ambiguity, we also tested another Mustang GT (this one in blue and wearing summer tires), which ripped to 60 mph in 4.8 seconds and blitzed the 1,320 feet in 13 seconds at 110.6 mph. That's the kind of razor's edge that can be measured in microns."

I just posted this to put things in it's proper context. Two Mustangs were raced, one was .3 faster than the other.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure your understanding the point I am trying to make. Everyone was up in arms about how the new Mustang was going to stomp the Camaro and the MT comparison was blasted all over you tube with every mustang fan creaming in their pants. The truth of the matter is the Mustang is going to be quick but by no means a Camaro slayer. Just trying to calm the worries of Camaro owners who got all worked up over one MT article. Let the pony car wars begin!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by old_goat
I just posted this to put things in it's proper context. Two Mustangs were raced, one was .3 faster than the other.
And to put things further in context.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...ustang-gt.html

That thread has all the test data published compiled in one place for the LS3 Camaro vs 5.0 Mustang.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was never worried. I figured it this would be the out come. It will be a drivers race stock vs. stock. How many of these cars will remain stock though?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

this car is a worthy opponent. i think ford did an excellent job with this car.

i was pleasantly surprised a camaro handled better at least against a non track pack version. as ive said numerous times i still choose a 5th gen.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS

i was pleasantly surprised a camaro handled better at least against a non track pack version. as ive said numerous times i still choose a 5th gen.
exactly.!

the ford is nice and they are still great competetors but camaros domincance, is easily seeable.

sad fact, there are plenty of mustangs faster than some f-bodys, but we still got the majority, especially right out of the Factory.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 PM
Launching!

because if someone drops drag radials on a stock mustang, vs a stock tire 2010, well lets hope the 2010 driver can shift, its that close
Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 PM
FormerVendor

Who cares what they do stock????

how many people who go race will leave these car stock??? not many...

the cars both seem like solid cars... but i think a person would be better off with the camaro, they have always been easier to mod and make more hp for less $$
Old 04-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Launching!

I agree, Ford fans finally have a similarly priced GT that they can take to the track and be competitive with. I do think they dropped the ball on the engine limitations, however, as it has already been stated that the engine displacement has no room to grow. If that is true, I don't see how Ford can match GM again when GM bumps the LS3's power to 450 or so. I think they got hung up on making a 5.0L motor for advertising purposes, they should have made at least a 5.4L. Sure, the Mustang may be lighter but apparently not enough to give it the easy win with that smallish motor.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

But the 2011 GT was not the base model it had all the upgraded performance package thats why it was faster.Now the put the base model up against the SS and it is slower.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol what i think is funny.... is when people see an article with the mustang on top...people immediately praise the stang, and slam the camaro...and when there's an article with the camaro on top, people praise the camaro..and then trash the mustang, or at least say well i wasnt worried, or, i knew the camaro would come out on top... just my observation...
im personally glad to finally see an article that sticks up for the camaro

I say it'll be a driver's race.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rayhawk
I agree, Ford fans finally have a similarly priced GT that they can take to the track and be competitive with. I do think they dropped the ball on the engine limitations, however, as it has already been stated that the engine displacement has no room to grow. If that is true, I don't see how Ford can match GM again when GM bumps the LS3's power to 450 or so. I think they got hung up on making a 5.0L motor for advertising purposes, they should have made at least a 5.4L. Sure, the Mustang may be lighter but apparently not enough to give it the easy win with that smallish motor.
im thinking a 5.4 and whats needed to hold that power wouldve made a GT too expensive. i think ford powered and priced this car perfectly.

but i agree once GM starts increasing power and this will happen bet on it this car is going to have problems keeping up stock or modded.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BAD_LS1 Tunes
Who cares what they do stock????

how many people who go race will leave these car stock??? not many...

the cars both seem like solid cars... but i think a person would be better off with the camaro, they have always been easier to mod and make more hp for less $$
Exactly as soon as you go aftermarket its a whole another game I don't care if your mom's denali ran 14's from the factory heads and cam she will eat a factory car come on, factory is worthless I want to know its aftermarket capability mustang coming out with a new 5.0 will have to re-establish aftermarket products but gm's motors are so interchangeable we have a very large market to get wild. I am sure with small tune adjustments gm can make the camaro look better.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Teching In

being a true to the core ford guy i am not impressed by the new 5.0 either.i agree with most of you guy's,i think it's rather close to it's limit's in stock form.i was hoping ford would step up and drop in their new 6.2l but i guess it just was'nt meant to be.i'll probably make the old 4v swap at some point but as soon as some of the new 6.2l f-series truck's start hitting the salvage yard's i'll be contemplating that for a really significant engine swap.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

im thinking a 5.4 and whats needed to hold that power wouldve made a GT too expensive. i think ford powered and priced this car perfectly.
I would have to disagree on the car being priced perfectly. I still think these cars are getting too expensive when some options are added.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

I want a track pack option on the LS3 Camaro. Gear option too.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Turns out the tests where the mustang was faster was when they had the 3.7x gears in. Hmm. Of course that is a factory offering not available in the Camaro. Interesting. I thought the car was going to be lighter than it is too, so now it's only 200lbs lighter? Whatever, we have to wait until these hit the streets to see what they will really do.

Quick Reply: It seems the 2011 Mustang Gt's performance was "Inflated" vs 2010 Camaro