Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBK Headers for the V6 2010 Camaro

Old 10-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK Headers for the V6 2010 Camaro

Are they worth the trouble of the CEL codes, cost of re-programming.? I read some posts that sounded positive and some negative of bolting on a set of BBK long tube headers. Unfortunately not on the same thread or the same website. Is there a fix for the codes that are associated with the catalytic converter. I read something about a bung extension to trick the sensor, but then I read a post that said it didn't work. I 'think' I read something about a re-program that costs almost as much as the headers that would circumvent the codes. I guess the next question is "are all the other choices of long tube headers having the same issues.? I am hoping someone can answer this so I can make a decision on whether to proceed with the headers for the wifes car or leave it alone.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would think if you were going to have that issue you would have it regardless of what LT header you get.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2wd1500Crew
Are they worth the trouble of the CEL codes, cost of re-programming.? I read some posts that sounded positive and some negative of bolting on a set of BBK long tube headers. Unfortunately not on the same thread or the same website. Is there a fix for the codes that are associated with the catalytic converter. I read something about a bung extension to trick the sensor, but then I read a post that said it didn't work. I 'think' I read something about a re-program that costs almost as much as the headers that would circumvent the codes. I guess the next question is "are all the other choices of long tube headers having the same issues.? I am hoping someone can answer this so I can make a decision on whether to proceed with the headers for the wifes car or leave it alone.
Several options from worst to best:
1. Get spark plug fouler extensions. These are hit or miss. But they're cheap. Try it if you want.

2. Some of the handheld tuners can be loaded with a custom tune that deletes the CEL. The handheld plus the custom tune is going to be relatively expensive, and it's not even tuned for your specific car. Just the same model.

3. Install the headers and any other mods you want to do, then get it tuned at a dyno shop. This is customized for your car, which means you don't have to worry about it being too lean or anything. It also means you will make the maximum amount of power. Downside is that it is expensive.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Teching In

Default What is expensive?

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Several options from worst to best:
1. Get spark plug fouler extensions. These are hit or miss. But they're cheap. Try it if you want.

2. Some of the handheld tuners can be loaded with a custom tune that deletes the CEL. The handheld plus the custom tune is going to be relatively expensive, and it's not even tuned for your specific car. Just the same model.

3. Install the headers and any other mods you want to do, then get it tuned at a dyno shop. This is customized for your car, which means you don't have to worry about it being too lean or anything. It also means you will make the maximum amount of power. Downside is that it is expensive.
Any idea what expensive might be?
Old 11-05-2011, 07:29 AM
Teching In

Default Spark Plug Foulers

Originally Posted by 2wd1500Crew
Any idea what expensive might be?
There is a post that says the plug foulers don't work. The term Bolt-In seems to come with a catch for a lot of the newer vehicles. If I read correctly it seems if I wanted to just bolt on JBA shortie headers the down pipe has to be cut and re-welded? Of course that applies to the v6, not sure about the v8..
Old 11-08-2011, 08:46 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

Like I said, you might as well try foulers, it isn't really that expensive.
And as far as expensive, I could not tell you. That is up to your local dynos. Go search around and find the best dyno shop, then call and get a quote. I'm going to guess close to $500.

As far as shorties being bolt-in or not, I wouldn't know. That you need to find out. I do know that they are easier to install, and they use the stock cat as well. However, they don't make as much power. And if you need to modify the downpipe, that's annoying as well.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Teching In

You can get a tune from Trifecta for V6 Camaros to turn off the rear o2 sensors and get rid of the check engine light.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:32 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

$400 dollars? That's a waste of money. Go ahead and spend the extra money and get a dyno tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK Headers for the V6 2010 Camaro