Gen 5 Camaro External Bolt-On Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Induction, Roto-Fab, Fast-Lane or VaraRam

Old 02-06-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Air Induction, Roto-Fab, Fast-Lane or VaraRam

I'v narrowed it down to these 4.. personally iv seen CAI, FL and VaraRam are the best but iv heard roto is good too, i just want the best one im doing my cam here soon and am getting my TB/intake ported
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I researched all and had a vararam. Roto-fab all the way. They also have a cool radiator cover to match.
http://www.haddadmotorsports.com/cat...x%20Finish.jpg
Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

interesting the 4" AEM is just like the fastlane and its only $229.. damn that is dirt cheap for a name brand.. almost as cheap as generic... they claim 16
Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 AM
Launching!

I would research the Halltech before you buy any of those. I bought a CAI intake and got 18rwhp with the scoop but I also got heat soak from the Aluminum tube.

Don't get an intake with a coated Aluminum tube.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by No Hope
I would research the Halltech before you buy any of those. I bought a CAI intake and got 18rwhp with the scoop but I also got heat soak from the Aluminum tube.

Don't get an intake with a coated Aluminum tube.
well research shows air moves so fast through tubes it doesnt have time to pull heat technically but i hear ya..

the thing about the low hung intakes is I imagine they work like scooped ones ( personally I like fastlanes pipeline CAI) but that pipe on the halltech definitly looks nice

id say halltech or rotofab for top mount ones
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 AM
On The Tree

Couldn't be happier with my Rotofab.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:10 AM
TECH Addict

ya im leaning towards the roto here.. customers and reviewers (need more people to review these things im surprised noone else has)
Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gun5
well research shows air moves so fast through tubes it doesnt have time to pull heat technically but i hear ya..

the thing about the low hung intakes is I imagine they work like scooped ones ( personally I like fastlanes pipeline CAI) but that pipe on the halltech definitly looks nice

id say halltech or rotofab for top mount ones

I listened to the research too and bought the CAI, I was PISSED after I got it. I'm giving you real world experience.

The problem with the research is they make a Dyno run and that's it. I drive around for an hour before I find someone to race and my engine was soggy because of the heat soak.

I covered the Aluminum tube with a piece of pipe insulation and the heat soak is not a problem any more. I would have bought a air intake with a plastic tube if I had to do it over again.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

I listened to the research too and bought the CAI, I was PISSED after I got it. I'm giving you real world experience.

The problem with the research is they make a Dyno run and that's it. I drive around for an hour before I find someone to race and my engine was soggy because of the heat soak.

I covered the Aluminum tube with a piece of pipe insulation and the heat soak is not a problem any more. I would have bought a air intake with a plastic tube if I had to do it over again.
would u go roto-fab? if so screw it my decision

Roto fab intake ported TB and manifold
Old 02-09-2012, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

The Roto-Fab has a plastic tube (one of the reasons I went with it). FWIW, I actually drove to Roto-Fab and picked mine up right where they are/were made. I met Mike the owner and gave me a complete tour of his business while I was there.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

check this out
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201216
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Rotofab w/ plastic tube and absolutely love it.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

bought the halltech

BTW I had the LMR before but when i wrecked my car it broke (ya i smashed it good i fell asleep)

Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bought the halltech

BTW I had the LMR before but when i wrecked my car it broke (ya i smashed it good i fell asleep)

yea im liking the Halltech more and more for some reason
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Launching!

would u go roto-fab? if so screw it my decision

Roto fab intake ported TB and manifold

If I was going to buy a new air intake now it would be the Halltech hands down.

Everyone likes the Roto-Fab but it didn't do well in the Jannetty test. I would like to see another independent test other than Jannetty's if someone has a link or some other info.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

I'd be hard pressed to believe equal air filters and plastic tubes mean a 10hp difference. I know an OTR LOST a 10th at the track on my car so I also believe any intake better be tuned for a long term gain.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

I have the CAI inc. along with the ADM race scoop. Yes the tube does get hot but it is ceramic coated inside and out and had the lowest IAT in the Jennetty tests done on C5. Take that for what you will, some claim bias or whatever in the test. I orginally had a LMR intake as they were the first on the market and available when I got my car. I really could not tell much of a difference between the two till I added the ADM scoop to the CAI intake.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by glennster
I'd be hard pressed to believe equal air filters and plastic tubes mean a 10hp difference. I know an OTR LOST a 10th at the track on my car so I also believe any intake better be tuned for a long term gain.
Do they have equal air filters?

Plastic tube is the only way to go. The heat soak from Aluminum or Stainless Steel will be a factor if you street race or drive it daily.

If you look at the Halltech tube it has a reduction at the MAF sensor. Halltech claims it lets in more air but I'm skeptical about it. I do know their inverted tip air filter lets in more air than a air filter with out an inverted end.

As long as everyone is warned about the heat soak from Aluminum and Stainless tubes I'm good
Old 02-19-2012, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

Do they have equal air filters?

Plastic tube is the only way to go. The heat soak from Aluminum or Stainless Steel will be a factor if you street race or drive it daily.

If you look at the Halltech tube it has a reduction at the MAF sensor. Halltech claims it lets in more air but I'm skeptical about it. I do know their inverted tip air filter lets in more air than a air filter with out an inverted end.

As long as everyone is warned about the heat soak from Aluminum and Stainless tubes I'm good
Same as roto-fab. Inverted cone filter, plastic tube with taper and velocity stack entry.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by glennster
Same as roto-fab. Inverted cone filter, plastic tube with taper and velocity stack entry.

Hmm, that makes me question the accuracy of the JRE air intake test. I think he had the Roto Fab at 5 or 7 rwhp. I would think it would be closer to 15rwhp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Air Induction, Roto-Fab, Fast-Lane or VaraRam