LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Gen 5 Camaro Power-Adder Tech (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gen-5-camaro-power-adder-tech-167/)
-   -   Ls3 TT vs LSA Feel and driver opinion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/gen-5-camaro-power-adder-tech/1916068-ls3-tt-vs-lsa-feel-driver-opinion.html)

moekluse 02-28-2019 08:46 PM

Ls3 TT vs LSA Feel and driver opinion

Hello everyone, this is not meant to be a technical post about the pros and cons of both Twin turbos or an Lsa blower, i am simply asking for how you feel with your car and its specific setup such as if you went with an LSA and really loved it or really wished you went turbod. I am really stuck between the 2 and i would like to know how you guys feel about your setups after putting some miles on them and getting used to them. Hopefully neither get boring but i have a very small suspicion that the LSA might get a bit old and i dont want that to happen. Thank you!

LLLosingit 02-28-2019 10:52 PM

I have an LSA supercharged 6.0 with a close ratio TR6060 in a 2000 S10. Put about 3,000 miles on it last year and I'm very happy with it, I daily drive it in the summer and it never gets old. Instant boost and More power than I can use on the street. I'm running 19x12's on the rear with Nitto's Invo tires. I can run 2nd gear to about 85mph and can't put it to the floor or it will break the tires loose, Shifting to 3rd I have to ease into it and let it settle down before I can put it to the floor. I've had the tires break loose at 100+ mph on more than one occasion and it gets your attention lol. I put as much weight to the rear as I could, 19g Fuel cell and 5g Intercooler reservoir and pump are in the bed, The battery is going to the rear before spring. If you're running an automatic or plan on running it at the strip then a turbo might be more exciting. I don't street race because I drive for a living and won't risk my license plus it's just stupid but I can get to the speed limit faster than most people that try keep up.

moekluse 03-01-2019 08:20 AM

That sounds like a blast. Ive driven a few 2016 zo6 vettes and they werent as fast as i was hoping, no slouch by any means but the one thing i really did enjoy from them was the exhaust note. Anyone on this forum have an opportunity do drive both an LSA and a TT?

HioSSilver 03-01-2019 08:44 AM

Idk how this is even a comparison. Even w/o ever driving either there is absolutely zero doubt the tt car if it's right and not some pos set up would absolutely destroy a lsa in a performance car. A lsa would make a good pick up blower tho.

moekluse 03-01-2019 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 20056322)
Idk how this is even a comparison. Even w/o ever driving either there is absolutely zero doubt the tt car if it's right and not some pos set up would absolutely destroy a lsa in a performance car. A lsa would make a good pick up blower tho.

I know that the turbo car is without a doubt faster and will be easier to turn up boost over an LSA but im asking for actual driving feel of the car. Im sure an LSA will be great for a while but im just nervous that it might come to the point where it will become boring in a heavy car such as a camaro. Im just wondering if there are any people here that wish they went turbo after installing a blower or vise versa

HioSSilver 03-01-2019 02:39 PM

It's pretty simple. Probably everyone that ever installed a lsa blower wishes they had the $ for a decent tt system.

This mostly comes down to budget and how fast you want your car.

moekluse 03-01-2019 02:42 PM

For me anyways, piecing together both kits including injectors and everything i need for them to run properly MINUS the tune is around $7000 for TT and $6300 for an LSA. So i guess TT it is

LLLosingit 03-01-2019 06:43 PM

Not true at all, It would depend on available traction and other factors, You can have all the power in the world and it's worthless if you can't use it that's why I said it depends on what the intended use is. If it's strictly a street car then either is going to make more power than you'll need. If it's a drag car max power effort then go with the turbo.
Personally I love a roots supercharger and manual transmission combination on the street, Boost is instantaneous and so is torque something that works well with a manual trans. An identical combination to mine made 580whp through the same trans and it's a bone stock 6.0 with LS9 cam and long tubes. If I want more power I can port the heads, Bigger cam and ported blower and be in the 700+hp range but it's not needed. The only thing that would accomplish is blowing off the tires at 120-130-140mph instead of 100.

HioSSilver 03-01-2019 08:17 PM

It's very much true. If you're relying on the other guy to blow his tires off for the w then you've already lost.....you just don't know it yet.

Now I'm not saying a blower car can't run decent but the choices he threw out it's tt erryday all day.

Any passes in your car?

LLLosingit 03-01-2019 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 20056671)
It's very much true. If you're relying on the other guy to blow his tires off for the w then you've already lost.....you just don't know it yet.

Now I'm not saying a blower car can't run decent but the choices he threw out it's tt erryday all day.

Any passes in your car?

You're missing the point lol, A car will only hold so much power before it looses traction, I never said anything about hoping the other guys blows the tires off, I have 580whp and can't use all of it on the street so whether it's a LSA supercharger or TT if I'm blowing the tires off on the street it doesn't matter if I make 580hp or 5,800hp... more power is not going to make it faster. The only thing that would help is drag radials but that's not feasible if I'm going to drive it daily and put miles on it, Just to expensive at $600 a pair and only last a few thousand miles.
No drag strip passes on this one and no plans to that's not what it was built for, It was built to drive daily.

HioSSilver 03-01-2019 09:36 PM

I get the point.....and you actually make my point. Pd style blowers on a ls isn't a good match. It makes a great burnout machine tho. This is why i said it would make a great pick up truck blower. Lots of tq down low. It just doesn't work well on a ls for a performance car.

LLLosingit 03-01-2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 20056710)
I get the point.....and you actually make my point. Pd style blowers on a ls isn't a good match. It makes a great burnout machine tho. This is why i said it would make a great pick up truck blower. Lots of tq down low. It just doesn't work well on a ls for a performance car.

You have to be kidding lol. How is 580hp with a blower different than 580hp with a turbo?...seriously I have to hear this. I bet if I post a dyno graph of just hp you wouldn't know the difference between the two if the run was made between 2,500rpm and 6,500rpm.
What you're saying makes no sense, I'm running a 12" wide Nitto and Assassin traction bars so I'm getting power down, With slicks it would have enough traction and power to pull the wheels easy enough at the track.

LLLosingit 03-01-2019 09:49 PM

Even w/o ever driving either there is absolutely zero doubt.

Oh wait this explains it....You're only going by what other people say because you have 0 first hand experience lol

HioSSilver 03-01-2019 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by LLLosingit (Post 20056716)
You have to be kidding lol. How is 580hp with a blower different than 580hp with a turbo?...seriously I have to hear this. I bet if I post a dyno graph of just hp you wouldn't know the difference between the two if the run was made between 2,500rpm and 6,500rpm.
What you're saying makes no sense, I'm running a 12" wide Nitto and Assassin traction bars so I'm getting power down, With slicks it would have enough traction and power to pull the wheels easy enough at the track.

You should really take it to the track.

btw....I'm not looking to stop at 6500 rpm.

Originally Posted by LLLosingit (Post 20056719)
Oh wait this explains it....You're only going by what other people say because you have 0 first hand experience lol

it's pretty obvious that tt is far better. Just because you chose a pd or lsa blower surely doesn't mean it's better. If both are priced any where near the same tt is with out doubt superior for making power and efficiency.

Now one could argue the simplicity of the pd style blower (lsa in this case) vs a tt set up but you're not doing that.

Now as far as having 0 experience i guess that's not completely true. I have a 03 termi motor in a fox......i wish it was turbo.

LLLosingit 03-01-2019 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 20056734)

btw....I'm not looking to stop at 6500 rpm.

it's pretty obvious that tt is far better.
Now one could argue the simplicity of the pd style blower (lsa in this case) vs a tt set up but you're not doing that.

Better for what? OP asked "Ls3 TT vs LSA Feel and driver opinion" so there is no best.
He didn't say max power or drag race only, The question was pretty vague. I stated my opinion from my experience. I've had more than one turbo car and a couple blower cars, Each have their place. There are pro's and cons for both. Turbo has a better top end and works very well if you're shooting for max power.
Blowers have instant boost off idle and not a hint of lag and the torque curve is as flat as a table top , When I shift gears the boost barley drops and pegs right away. They are easier to install, Don't add a bunch of heat under the hood and will last 100,000 miles or more.
Turbo's are easier to adjust boost levels when using a stock ecm and boost controller( I can control my LSA boost with my Holley system on/off/max boost)
Turbo's give you more of a seat of the pants feel as boost comes in where a roots style supercharger is a more linear powerband so no sudden rush of power.
Like I said earlier, Both are capable of making more power than you can use on the street. I run a pro touring style setup that's better for cutting corners than drag racing. My front tires are bigger than most people run on the rear- 275/35/18 front and 325/30/19 rear, Couple that with a supercharged 580whp and a 6spd and trust me it's plenty fast and out corners most cars in stock form. If I were building a drag car it would be turbo or large roots blower.
My 408 with old style roots made over 900hp on the dyno and if I would have went turbo I'm 100% certain it would crack 1100+, I'm not shooting for max power I'm going for a pro street look in a 1950 Chevy truck.

Here is a pic of the engine when the previous owner had it built, He had a thread on here a few years ago. Long story short, They broke it on the dyno because the tuner wasn't familiar with LS engines and boost/timing. Basically it looks the same except I have a different blower and headers.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...26df17e97c.jpg

Here is a video of the same engine before it took a shit on the dyno.

HioSSilver 03-01-2019 11:40 PM

Op was asking lsa vs tt. A good tt system will rule in that comparison. If they cost nearly the same it's a no brainer to tt. I am perfectly fine with much larger pd blowers but even then tt is just better for a performance car. It's just how it is.....even you admit that.

By better I'm thinking more powerful. When it comes to packaging both have pros and cons.

LLLosingit 03-02-2019 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 20056758)
Op was asking lsa vs tt. A good tt system will rule in that comparison. If they cost nearly the same it's a no brainer to tt. I am perfectly fine with much larger pd blowers but even then tt is just better for a performance car. It's just how it is.....even you admit that.

By better I'm thinking more powerful. When it comes to packaging both have pros and cons.

Yep you still don't get it, Max power isn't everything. Performance car is a generic term so it's not as simple as you seem to think, It depends on the intended use. My LSA will annihilate a turbo car on a road race track with turns where you are on and off the throttle and need to finesse the car. It's pulls hard off idle with 0 lag and carries the power quite a ways.
Street wise...While a turbo car is sitting at a light on the 2-step waiting for the light to turn green I can sit and idle and might still get them out of the hole, The rest is a drivers race. Power wise both cars would have more power than needed until they hit well over 100mph....not much need for that on the street.
Maybe you should go test drive one then come back and tell me they aren't good for a performance car.

How many cars can you go the dealer and buy factory a produced domestic car with a turbo V8 ? Corvette? CTS-V? Camaro? What about other makes like Mustang? HellCat? Demon? See my point... If the Turbo is so awesome why aren't they selling them that way from the factory?

There are no real packaging cons to the LSA other than f-bodies needing a trim. Other than that they bolt on and take slightly more space up top than the stock intake. I can run a stock hood on my S10 with the LSA in place and still have room for A/C / battery/radiator overlflow container/fusebox/windsheild washers reservoir and everything else. it doesn't take up any additional room than when I had the stock LS3 manifold on it. Turbos on the other hand I would have to relocate of delete a few things.

Turbos have a couple pluses and they don't really amount so squat on the street, They are more efficient and they can make more boost easier but that's about it.
Throw a car on the track where they aren't traction limited and the turbo should prevail most of the time.
Trust me, Once you drive a car with boost you'll never want to go back and for the street a roots supercharger does just fine, I have yet to find anyone who takes a ride say that it lacks performance lol

People are stuck on peak numbers and very little time is spent there, If I were racing the strip or a dyno competition and peak power wins I'm running a turbo.

HioSSilver 03-02-2019 07:19 AM

Dude you're preaching to the chior about max power isnt errythang. I went 10.7 with traps around 130~ with 417 whp . So to me if you're only making 580whp then a na build > than lsa and the na build would directly translate to a better balanced on track car.

But when it comes to tt vs that lsa tt rules in errythang other than packaging.

Don't worry....turbos are about to replace pd from the oe manufacturers. When they do power will go up.

LLLosingit 03-02-2019 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by HioSSilver (Post 20056798)
Dude you're preaching to the chior about max power isnt errythang. I went 10.7 with traps around 130~ with 417 whp . So to me if you're only making 580whp then a na build > than lsa and the na build would directly translate to a better balanced on track car.

But when it comes to tt vs that lsa tt rules in errythang other than packaging.

Don't worry....turbos are about to replace pd from the oe manufacturers. When they do power will go up.

LOL you really don't have a clue.

moekluse 03-02-2019 03:06 PM

How about i drop 20k and do TT and a LSA? Lol too expensive for me. There are a few zl1s around with twincharged setups though, wonder if they are worth it..