Gen 5 Camaro Racing Tech, Results Drag racing, road racing, street racing. Share tech & results!

So they can run fast at the track afterall :) Bone stock LS3 SS runs 12.87 quarter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,175 Likes on 764 Posts

Best totally stock I ever witnessed was 13.07@107 for a strippo 1999 SS MN6.

Tony, when you went 12.8x stock, was that with an SLP lid?

Evan went one if not the fastest time stock, he slipped the clutch out at 4500-5000 and drove it like a rental. He had some nice air but he said he slipped the clutch out real high. I talked to him about this a few years ago at an NMCA race.

I drove a 2000 Formula, A4, cutout, !jack/spare, ftra, lid, stock chrome wheels... 12.84@110 very impressive. The light owner was able to eventually run a 12.81 later that day with my coaching. Was 2000 DA air.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen a Brand new 10ss with 800 miles on it and no mods run a 12.9 at the track with a 2.0 60 foot. this was an auto car.

I have also seen a 2000 SS 6 speed run a 12.9 at 108mph with a 2.0 60 foot.

I personally witnessed both of these cars. I dont doubt the 10SS can go 12.7 in cold weather with a good driver.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

Default im with u

Originally Posted by lemons12
i call BS..

no way you ran a 13.0@109 with a 2.2 short... with what these cars should 60 with a good driver (1.9s) that would put you at a 12.70 pass... not going to happen..

unless your definition of a truly "stock" car is not stock.. as in you cant say with drag radials i would have hit a XX.XX @ XXX.XX. Stock.
Im for sure with you on this one. My 01 WS6 went 13.18@101mph bouncing off limiter last 200ft or so and 13.25@105mph if I shifted to 4th and both with 2.0 60ft. That was quite a bit faster than I thought it would go and other were skeptical too. I did have a LID and hooker muffler, but EVERYTHING else untouched. I've heard stock F bodies going 12.90's, never seen it or known ne1 to see it. I do believe it has happened, but not with 2.2 60ft or 109mph no way. The 2 documented 12.9X stock F body times ive seen were a 99 Z28 and a 01 WS6, and both had drag radials on to see what the fastest a STOCK F body would run.Still it was around 102-103mph with 1.8-9 60 ft. I seen in person a 01 WS6 A4 untouched(not even lid or filter) run 12.82@106mph, but it was owned by a dyno tuner that installed a 2800 stall and tuned it.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12
why in the hell would they do this? or why would they care..

the 4th gen isnt even in the same class... nor is it in production anymore..

it was going up against the challengers/mustang/etc..

ls1s dont run 12s all day long.. nor is it anywhere close to the norm... its more like a needly in the hay stack..

ls1s are low-mid 13 cars.. some bad drivers are slower, some good drivers are faster.. but that is the "norm"..

the 5th gen is running low 13s with bad drivers and hitting high 12s with good drivers.. times will only get better..

some of you boys with stockish cars talking **** on the 5th gen are going to be mad when you line up against one.
Agreed.....
Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Wonder what one will run at 3800 da and with an auto will do...
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will stick w/ my 4th gens ... not a huge fan of the 5th gen... if you read my sig carefully my 60 ft and times are there .. so not really impressed w/ this 30-40K F body..

and if i can find the video i would be happy to post a link for it.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
i will stick w/ my 4th gens ... not a huge fan of the 5th gen... if you read my sig carefully my 60 ft and times are there .. so not really impressed w/ this 30-40K F body..

This is a really blank statement. You need a modified 4th gen to run stock 5th gen times, the 4th gens when new cost 30-40K but your not impressed.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

1) when your car was brand new i am sure it was near if not a 30k car.
2) your time was on dr's i am sure a bone stock 5th gen on dr's could run that time and prob trap higher.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
2) your time was on dr's i am sure a bone stock 5th gen on dr's could run that time and prob trap higher.
BONE STOCK/STOCK TIRES
Best time so far is 12.58

A few 12.6's and a lot of sub 13's.

Highest trap so far is 113.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:12 PM
12 Second Club

DARK SS : i apologise i didnt know a 99 Formula M6 car was a 30K car new. yes i had an SLP exhaust and barrowed DR's. I didnt NOT own my car new, i bought it used from a dealership in GA. w/ 77K on her. But if you take the price of a 4th gen F BODY M6 car and can drive worth a ****, add your exhaust and dr's.. and run mid 12's.. take your total cost involved and see if it adds up to the cost of a 5th gen SS.. if it does then that's on you. And NO i am NOT impressed when a 11 yr old car w/ exhaust and tires can run w/ a 40K car thats stock.. sorry
heres KBB link in excellent condition. http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/pontiac...ent&mileage=10 so take your nut swingin elsewhere..
here is a link to what it cost new MSRP less than 24K.. http://autos.yahoo.com/1999_pontiac_...formula_coupe/

so no i am not impressed w/ a 40K car that runs a shade better than my formula did w/ exhaust and dr's... i would gladly buy another 4th gen add the same tires etc and run w/ a 40K car.. just makes more sense.

LIQUID VENOM you said:
** I bought mine used w/ 77K on the clock.v

i think you may be right.. but i am not spending the 30K-40K to run those times.. lotta great deal in the FS threads and with a FEW bolt ons..you can take a 4th gen camaro'/ TA and run w/ a BRAND NEW 5th GEN Camaro SS.. I think i would rather do that and keep the extra 15K.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

DARK SS : i apologise i didnt know a 99 Formula M6 car was a 30K car new. yes i had an SLP exhaust and barrowed DR's. I didnt NOT own my car new, i bought it used from a dealership in GA. w/ 77K on her. But if you take the price of a 4th gen F BODY M6 car and can drive worth a ****, add your exhaust and dr's.. and run mid 12's.. take your total cost involved and see if it adds up to the cost of a 5th gen SS.. if it does then that's on you. And NO i am NOT impressed when a 11 yr old car w/ exhaust and tires can run w/ a 40K car thats stock.. sorry
heres KBB link in excellent condition. http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/pontiac...ent&mileage=10 so take your nut swingin elsewhere..
here is a link to what it cost new MSRP less than 24K.. http://autos.yahoo.com/1999_pontiac_...formula_coupe/

so no i am not impressed w/ a 40K car that runs a shade better than my formula did w/ exhaust and dr's... i would gladly buy another 4th gen add the same tires etc and run w/ a 40K car.. just makes more sense.

LIQUID VENOM you said:

i think you may be right.. but i am not spending the 30K-40K to run those times.. lotta great deal in the FS threads and with a FEW bolt ons..you can take a 4th gen camaro'/ TA and run w/ a BRAND NEW 5th GEN Camaro SS.. I think i would rather do that and keep the extra 15K.
you could also go out and buy any old car and be as fast as a 4th gen after a few mods
Old 09-30-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

LIQUID VENOM you said:

Maybe you'll be impressed when you can find a 77K mile used 5th gen

That fact of the matter is you comparing apples to oranges. Sure you can take a modified car that's older and run with a bone stock car. Give me exhaust and tires and watch me put lengths on you. The initial cost of a car means nothing other than how much of a loan someone decides to take out. Compare mods, not MSRP. Eventually you will be able to find a cheap 5th gen. I didn't pay 40K for mine either. I have a car with 12K miles that I out on, heated seats and a comfortable interior. All that and I can run down modified LS1's. Sounds like a deal to me.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:30 AM
12 Second Club

How can the initial cost of the car mean nothing? A used 4th gen is $15k or so LESS than a new 5th gen. But that means nothing? i see that as mod money left over and then some.
Comparing mods isnt hard to do either. everybody wants to go as fast as possible and as cheap as possible. Neither of those go hand in hand. However by spending maby 12K-15K on a 4th gen and having 15K or so LEFT OVER for mods makes lotta sense to me , as oppose to spending 30K+ for a new 5th gen to run the same times..even tho the 5th gen is bone stock.
The only reason I commented on the MSRP is because a few people were saying that the formula was a 30K car brand new...it wasn't. Not to say that deals are not available for the people who want a 5th gen. But this hobby/ lifestyle is get as much as you can for as little coin as possible, just have to make smart decisions.
Thats why I think getting a 4th gen and adding a few tastefull mods to keep up/ and or beat a 5th gen is a smarter choice. And there are PLENTY of clean one's on this site for sale. Yes you may pay more for them ie: low miles, options, total condition etc.. but its still cheaper than a 30K+ 5th gen and will run just as hard/fast, and the extra 15K in the bank/ pocket is always a good thing.
On the last note.. the 77K 5th gen..lol yeah those days are comming also..If i wanted a 5th gen, which i don't..i would wait and look for exactly what i want to become available and for MY PRICE..not some stealerships * car on premesis deal*..and by that time.. there would be more proven aftermarket goodies available.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

1SS starts at 31k. 2SS at 34k (which is pretty much loaded). Where is 40k coming from?

A loaded camaro SS in 2002 was around the 30k range. A loaded new SS is around 36-37k (not counting the 4k rim option that everyone throws out their lol).

If you look at inflation the 5th gen is the better deal period. The car is cheaper now than it was in 2002 when comparing option to option and considering inflation (which I guess no one thinks of)

Why are we comparing money spent on new cars vs modding an old one?

Than why even buy a 4th gen if thats all you want? Find an old 87 mustang for 2k and then mod the heck out of it...that would whoop on a 4th gen you bought for 10k when comparing costs. who gives a damn...

and then in that case...a new 70k plus new zo6 is the biggest waste of money ever...you could custom build a car to beat the **** out of a zo6 for far less than 70k. That is an old an worthless argument that is mostly used by people who are suffering from something called...JEALOUSY.

I agree it is a smarter choice to buy an older car if all your looking for is a drag car. I guess if thats all you want thats great....but dont dog a 5th gen or down play its performance because it costs more because it is new....how can that be helped?

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 10-01-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

definetly glad to see some good times outta these cars stock.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraZLS1
1SS starts at 31k. 2SS at 34k (which is pretty much loaded). Where is 40k coming from?

A loaded camaro SS in 2002 was around the 30k range. A loaded new SS is around 36-37k (not counting the 4k rim option that everyone throws out their lol).

If you look at inflation the 5th gen is the better deal period. The car is cheaper now than it was in 2002 when comparing option to option and considering inflation (which I guess no one thinks of)

Why are we comparing money spent on new cars vs modding an old one?

Than why even buy a 4th gen if thats all you want? Find an old 87 mustang for 2k and then mod the heck out of it...that would whoop on a 4th gen you bought for 10k when comparing costs. who gives a damn...

and then in that case...a new 70k plus new zo6 is the biggest waste of money ever...you could custom build a car to beat the **** out of a zo6 for far less than 70k. That is an old an worthless argument that is mostly used by people who are suffering from something called...JEALOUSY.

I agree it is a smarter choice to buy an older car if all your looking for is a drag car. I guess if thats all you want thats great....but dont dog a 5th gen or down play its performance because it costs more because it is new....how can that be helped?
I agree! I thought ls1 4th gens were expensive when they first come out... in 2002 a new fully optioned SS was 32k. imo the 5th gen is not much more being 8yrs later and the american dollar not worth **** compared to 8yrs ago. Bang 4 the buck were LT1 cars! in 1996 you could get a new z28 for around 17-18k
Old 10-07-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I agree! I thought ls1 4th gens were expensive when they first come out... in 2002 a new fully optioned SS was 32k. imo the 5th gen is not much more being 8yrs later and the american dollar not worth **** compared to 8yrs ago. Bang 4 the buck were LT1 cars! in 1996 you could get a new z28 for around 17-18k
you're right. my 98 sticker price for a z28 with leather seats was 30k and some change so an ss would be even more expensive.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How can the initial cost of the car mean nothing? A used 4th gen is $15k or so LESS than a new 5th gen. But that means nothing? i see that as mod money left over and then some.
Comparing mods isnt hard to do either. everybody wants to go as fast as possible and as cheap as possible. Neither of those go hand in hand. However by spending maby 12K-15K on a 4th gen and having 15K or so LEFT OVER for mods makes lotta sense to me , as oppose to spending 30K+ for a new 5th gen to run the same times..even tho the 5th gen is bone stock.
The only reason I commented on the MSRP is because a few people were saying that the formula was a 30K car brand new...it wasn't. Not to say that deals are not available for the people who want a 5th gen. But this hobby/ lifestyle is get as much as you can for as little coin as possible, just have to make smart decisions.
Thats why I think getting a 4th gen and adding a few tastefull mods to keep up/ and or beat a 5th gen is a smarter choice. And there are PLENTY of clean one's on this site for sale. Yes you may pay more for them ie: low miles, options, total condition etc.. but its still cheaper than a 30K+ 5th gen and will run just as hard/fast, and the extra 15K in the bank/ pocket is always a good thing.
On the last note.. the 77K 5th gen..lol yeah those days are comming also..If i wanted a 5th gen, which i don't..i would wait and look for exactly what i want to become available and for MY PRICE..not some stealerships * car on premesis deal*..and by that time.. there would be more proven aftermarket goodies available.
you're also right about making a 4th gen faster than a 5th gen. on another note you're paying more money for a newer car. but also i see it as you're paying more money for the ls3 and its potential, compared to the ls1's potential. regardless of weight disadvantage the ls3's potential surpasses that depending on how far you go
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
are the 4th gens running 12's bone stock down to the tire and at show room weight?

if so thats news to me
A buddies six speed did, showroom stock it ran 12's, lid only 12.79@110.

Yes it was cold, yes he can drive. Low 1.80 60 ft on that pass.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

i watched one of my buddies go 13.07 @ 107 in a 2000 a4 b4c car. bone stock with 136k miles on it. he made 14 passes that night, that being the fastest. he put drag radials on it and went slower haha.

it's funny how a 13 year old car is still "the bar". will it outrun an LS1 car? if so, you're golden haha funny.

comparing apples to oranges. i am not impressed with the 5th gen cars, either, but i will not compare them to an ls1 car. i will compare them to the new challengers and mustangs. i believe it falls in the middle. the stangs have this sewn up. the challengers...well, they look good hahaha.

Quick Reply: So they can run fast at the track afterall :) Bone stock LS3 SS runs 12.87 quarter