Don't plan on driving your new camaro in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gectek
no this thread is about the 2010 camaro. this whole sub forum is. he is trying to say that the summer tires suck in winter. that is a no brainer. they are seasonal tires for a reason. also he apparently does not know how do drive in the white death.

there is not much the same about the drivetrain from a 4th gen to a 5th gen. sorry.
the 5th gen isnt as unique as you would like to think. and while driving in a non performance capability, such as getting around in the snow its no different then any of the other v8 vehicles on this site. rwd, either manual or auto, v8. driving a rwd g8 isnt much different then a 4th gen or a cts-v or a vette. one may weigh more or have more power.... but its still the same respect given when taking it out in the snow.

these arent awd camaros. these are just people who can control their right foot and use their brains while on the road. No vehicle today is sold without it being able to be used in the environment it is sold.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^not true. Good driver and good tires and you will fine in a few inches. You get a foot hell ive seen 4x4's getting stuck.

OP invest in beater rims and snow tires like was has been said. If not dont complain you cant go anywhere.

EDIT: was intented for Kmaroman
Old 01-01-2010, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SRM
Yes, I could have bought a beater but do not want another car to maintain. Plus, I purchase my cars to DRIVE them, not to be garage queens.

I could not stand to pack up my camaro for the winter, that would drive me nuts!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Staging Lane

^didnt even see that post. Well then just man up and buy snow tires for the winter months.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:14 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Back when I was 17 my '68 Firebird 400 4 speed was literally stuck in my parents detached garage, which had a layer of ice in it. I was also pushed up an incline in my '69 GTO back in the late 70's, by a city bus on a thin layer of snow. Nothing has changed, you still need good tires for Winter driving. A pair of snow tires will make all the difference in the world. Bob
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

The last time I drove my 1999 Z28 in the snow was in 2007. It had BF Goodrich KDW summer tires mounted on it for the last three years I owned it.

We don't get much snow where I live in Nashville, but that morning at 7:00am I was driving home in a pretty significant snow storm. I got around 3" where I live. I was driving 30-40mph on the interstate behind a semi in on a somewhat clear road. Even the slightest provocation of the throttle would cause the car to spin, I was sweating bullets the whole entire way home. Summer tires ARE NOT designed for snow, I was lucky I didn't wreck the car that day.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Staging Lane

Summer tires, and 4X4 drivers, have something in common...

Sure, you can get going (and 4X4s can get going REAL good!), but STOPPING is a whole 'nother issue...

It never ceases to amaze me the number of 4X4s ditched in snow storms. Just cuz it'll GO 60mph+ doesn't mean you SHOULD...

ABS and StabiliTrak don't mean a thing when the traction coefficient isn't very "efficient"...

Having said all that, I'm on the Pirelli PZeros...in an urban well-plowd well-salted environment...and I'm NOT trying to set Land Speed Records...
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Back when I was 17 my '68 Firebird 400 4 speed was literally stuck in my parents detached garage, which had a layer of ice in it. I was also pushed up an incline in my '69 GTO back in the late 70's, by a city bus on a thin layer of snow. Nothing has changed, you still need good tires for Winter driving. A pair of snow tires will make all the difference in the world. Bob
I agree - Bob.

I had a 68 GTO and never got stranded with snow tires on in winter + 200 lbs of weight in southeastern Minnesota in very hilly country. Back in the 70's drove a schoolbus and never missed a day getting to work. Even during snow days when school was closed early because of snow storms to get kids home.

But we had skinny high profile tires back then that were very soft compared to the low profile super wide hard as granite tires used today. It's a lot easier to get a car moving on narrow tires that those that are 10 - 12 inches wide with a very wide tread pattern.

Snow tires + weight (sand bags) will make even a greater difference.

For those who don't know - ash from your fireplace is very good for traction to help you get started after being parked all day on an incline and when it has snowed during the day. Toss a little in front of each rear snowtire - sometimes it's better than sand for exteme bite on wet snow or ice to get you started.

And starting in 2nd or third gear is better too than starting in first.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerPro01
Summer tires, and 4X4 drivers, have something in common...

Sure, you can get going (and 4X4s can get going REAL good!), but STOPPING is a whole 'nother issue...

It never ceases to amaze me the number of 4X4s ditched in snow storms. Just cuz it'll GO 60mph+ doesn't mean you SHOULD...

ABS and StabiliTrak don't mean a thing when the traction coefficient isn't very "efficient"...

Having said all that, I'm on the Pirelli PZeros...in an urban well-plowd well-salted environment...and I'm NOT trying to set Land Speed Records...

+1 a lot of 4wd soccer moms "and dad" think that because they have a 4wd they have nothing to worry about. Sure with a 4wd and good tires you wont get stuck, but....driving down the highway once your moving NO ONE is probably going to get stuck.....stopping again another story.

I had a 4wd Bronco with crappy A/T tires on it, very very mild tread on the tires, no differant then a regular street tire, just a cheap labeling. I never got stuck in the snow, even when I ended up in a ditch with 3 foot of snow, I just punched it before I came to a stop and pulled myself out of the ditch.

My moms 4x4 Trailblazer has worthless cheap tires on it and now they are like drag slicks all the way around....she gets stuck in the rain......

TIRES make the difference here and the know how on how to drive in in-climate weather....

And again I realize this is a 5th gen thread but my 4th gen drove just fine the other night "new years eve" with the roads covered in a sheet of ice, and my tires are getting on the "old" side.....

90% rule..... 90% smarter then your car and you will be fine.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think some of you guys took my post a lil harsh, I'm hear to clarify. 4wd is 4wd when u act like a jack *** with it you get stuck. Now let me tell you my pick up makes it out of my drive way in 2wd with descent amount of snow. I live on a hill and just received 4in maybe more the other day. Stuck my truck in 4wd and went wright up sure i sled, but i know dam well the camaro or any 2wd rwd wasn't making it up it
Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
the 5th gen isnt as unique as you would like to think. and while driving in a non performance capability, such as getting around in the snow its no different then any of the other v8 vehicles on this site. rwd, either manual or auto, v8. driving a rwd g8 isnt much different then a 4th gen or a cts-v or a vette. one may weigh more or have more power.... but its still the same respect given when taking it out in the snow.
these arent awd camaros. these are just people who can control their right foot and use their brains while on the road. No vehicle today is sold without it being able to be used in the environment it is sold.
maybe you misread everything i put down. but the drivetrain is very different from the 4th to the 5th gen camaro. did i say that you could not drive them the same? no. there are differences in the two that become very apparent when you take them on a road course. and by road course i mean every day life. may have a little more weight or power? that is an understatement as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

I think this has gotten a little too off topic. I was just posting about how insanely bad the new car is in snow with P-Zeros. Maybe it's a no brainer but it is definitely something I would consider when purchasing a ~$33k car that would require a minimum of a 2-3k investment just to drive in minimal snow. Speaking of which I would appreciate if anyone can recommend a good combination of wheels/tires because I live in two places and buying a winter beater car wouldn't do me any good if it was at the wrong house when it snowed.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

tirerack is one of the best places to go to compare tires. they have good prices as well.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gectek
tirerack is one of the best places to go to compare tires. they have good prices as well.
I'm familiar with tirerack. I was hoping for a suggestion as to what wheel/tire combo someone else has tried on this car with success.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Launching!

I'm not sure why that would come as a surprise. If you can afford a new car...why pick up a $1,500 beater SUV for winter use?
Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by johnlv6
I'm not sure why that would come as a surprise. If you can afford a new car...why pick up a $1,500 beater SUV for winter use?
I explained that would be impractical because I can't forecast the weather and it's a 50% chance that the beater would be at the wrong house since I live in two different places.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lol. There's a lot of derr in here. I've been stuck in the snow with my car too. No one to blame but myself. Its a sports car, not an suv. Need to be smarter and better equipped.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Invest in some snow tires and beater wheels.
Invest in a beater car.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I've been a Northerner my whole life... NJ, then MA and now IL. I've had some 4 wheel drive and 4 x 4 vehicles, a few FWD's, and many RWD's.

Our 2006 Acura MDX is the best snow vehicle I've ever had, better than my old 1995 Jeep Cherokee. Jeep was great, but this MDX is very good.

But my 2006 RWD TBSS is doing just fine too. Sure I wouldn't go on the back roads in a snow storm but I only have a 10 mile round trip commute. I've got three 70 lb bags of sand in the back in a plastic tote. You should see the holeshots I've getting right now, truck hooks like crazy.

"Summer" tires are the worst for snow, and then add in the fact they are wide 20" tires and you have one of the worst combos available on a stock car.

As I have a short commute, I'd have no problem commuting in a 2010 Camaro or other similar sports car. If it was a longer commute I'd pick up a Jeep 4x4 or Tahoe or something like that.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Summer perf. tires would strand any car . Even my Cobalt SS with pirelli rosso tires wouldnt move a foot in an inch of snow . Apparantly the 18" C5 Z06 replica or 18" C6 Replica wheels must fit because Ive seen them on numerous 5th gens running drag radials on the back and I know theres not a substantial amount of people going to smaller brakes . By the cheapest replica set u can find and throw some blizzaks on . You wont even believe how much of a night and day difference it is . I used to be a huge pesimist in regards to snow tires until I actually tried them one year . Now its a must for me . They even allow u to have to have some controllable fun without getting stuck . FWIW the last f-car I drove thru a winter on snow tires was a 4th gen with quite a bit more power than a 5th and no traction control .

Quick Reply: Don't plan on driving your new camaro in the snow