quality coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quality coilovers

What brand of coilovers do you currently have on your cars and are you satisfied with the compression and rebound valving of the shock? I am buying coilovers and don't know which to chose. Based on the reviews of all the different coilovers I can conclude that not all the brands are good at launching (getting the car to squat and gradually rebounding). Many of the more popular brands like Eibach, BC... are either to stiff or to soft and no in between. The only affordable brand that keeps getting great reviews and is known to last was Pfadt! And they are out of the picture. What would be a good quality alternative brand that would make coilovers for 2013 camaro SS.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2014, 06:09 AM
Staging Lane

I still hear good things about BC and two years ago that is what BMR recommended to me. The other choices would be Strange and QA1. If I needed something for drag right now, I would probably choose Strange.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:12 AM
Staging Lane

I'm looking at the KW V3's for my '10. A buddy has been running them for 2+ years and the ride is great. Going from my car on Eibach springs/sways to his with the KW's is a very noticeable difference.

Like you I was leaning toward Pfadt, but that's because I want something different. You can usually find the KW's for around $1800 compared to the $2400 for the Pfadts. I know the KW's have a lot of adjustment potential for both settings so getting the weight to transfer shouldn't be too difficult.

The other brand I've been looking at are Ridetech's. No personal experience with these yet though. There are a couple of guys that auto cross/road race with them that swear by them.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 02-27-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Regular

I have the lingenfelter/pedders.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Are you looking for a great all around coil over or a cheap coil over? There is a big difference there. If you are looking for a great all around coil over you need to look at the JRi's. They come from a history of F1, NASCAR and drag racing.

http://www.racingsprings.com/Street-...-2CR/Item/1922

Price is per pair with springs. These are not a coil over with OE hardware attached. They are 100% billet machined pieces with 30 compression settings and 12 rebound settings as well as built in camber adjustments.

Here is a picture of the JRi's
http://www.jrishocks.com/wp-content/...aro-Shocks.jpg
Old 02-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by PAC Racing Springs
Are you looking for a great all around coil over or a cheap coil over? There is a big difference there. If you are looking for a great all around coil over you need to look at the JRi's. They come from a history of F1, NASCAR and drag racing.

http://www.racingsprings.com/Street-...-2CR/Item/1922

Price is per pair with springs. These are not a coil over with OE hardware attached. They are 100% billet machined pieces with 30 compression settings and 12 rebound settings as well as built in camber adjustments.

Here is a picture of the JRi's
http://www.jrishocks.com/wp-content/...aro-Shocks.jpg
Thanks the JRI's are great they are the ones that manufacture for Detroit speed engineering. They are very expensive, almost as much as the Penske's!
Old 02-27-2014, 05:59 PM
Teching In

So after a day of searching and calling all the different company’s that have coilovers for my car I learned something that I already knew!!! “You always get what you pay for and if you want to play you got to pay”. The JRi’s set will cost 5500$ and the Penske’s 8300 series will cost 7500$. However, both of these company’s will sell me there rear shocks for 2500$, which is my budget this year for my car. Seeing that I have the 1LE and I am looking to improve my launch and squat, I will buy the 2 rear shocks which are adjustable on compression and rebound, which will make my car much better on the ¼ mile, and if I need to go to a road course I can simply adjust it back to match my front stiffness. This way I am sure that the quality of the product is there and the valving is done by people who have hands on experience and know what they are doing.

Is this a bad plan? Would there be any inconvenience of not having same type of shock all around? I don’t think the car will know, as long as the setup is done right!
Old 02-28-2014, 12:25 AM
Staging Lane

Are you trying to build an all out track car or a street car that sees track duty? I think the JRI's would be overkill on anything but a dedicated track rocket, but I'm not one to spend $2500 on just rear coil overs either. If you can do it and it not wipe out your yearly car budget, go for it. But if it were me and this is the only mod I could do for the foreseeable future, I'd go cheaper.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 376camaro
Thanks the JRI's are great they are the ones that manufacture for Detroit speed engineering. They are very expensive, almost as much as the Penske's!
Yeah, Detroit Speed uses JRi stuff.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Did you look at Santhuffs? A lot success out on the 5th gens.

Originally Posted by 376camaro
So after a day of searching and calling all the different company’s that have coilovers for my car I learned something that I already knew!!! “You always get what you pay for and if you want to play you got to pay”. The JRi’s set will cost 5500$ and the Penske’s 8300 series will cost 7500$. However, both of these company’s will sell me there rear shocks for 2500$, which is my budget this year for my car. Seeing that I have the 1LE and I am looking to improve my launch and squat, I will buy the 2 rear shocks which are adjustable on compression and rebound, which will make my car much better on the ¼ mile, and if I need to go to a road course I can simply adjust it back to match my front stiffness. This way I am sure that the quality of the product is there and the valving is done by people who have hands on experience and know what they are doing.

Is this a bad plan? Would there be any inconvenience of not having same type of shock all around? I don’t think the car will know, as long as the setup is done right!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you looked at the Pedders Camaro 160086 Xa Coilovers,(around $1800) ...?
Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Have you looked at the Pedders Camaro 160086 Xa Coilovers,(around $1800) ...?
Pedders filed for bankruptcy......

Pfadt closed their doors.....

I'd stay away from both because they will not be able to provide support when you loose a seal, and Pedders are notorious for leaking after hard use.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

ridetech has really kicked out a nice product...it would be worth giving them a look. Fox does the springs for them. Compared to what you got at that price level with Pedders and Pfadt...Ridetech's pricepoint is awesome.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6
Pedders filed for bankruptcy......

Pfadt closed their doors.....

I'd stay away from both because they will not be able to provide support when you loose a seal, and Pedders are notorious for leaking after hard use.

That's to bad, I though they both seemed to offer some nice coil-overs.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by grocerygetter
ridetech has really kicked out a nice product...it would be worth giving them a look. Fox does the springs for them. Compared to what you got at that price level with Pedders and Pfadt...Ridetech's pricepoint is awesome.
Correction , FOX does the shocks and the spring are Hypercoils.
Ridetech has really come up a long way is the quality of their shock and struts since going with Fox Racing .
Old 03-05-2014, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have BC Racing BR series coilovers on my car. I have no complaints them whatsoever.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Correction , FOX does the shocks and the spring are Hypercoils.
Ridetech has really come up a long way is the quality of their shock and struts since going with Fox Racing .
yup....I had it backasswards. LOL
Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys,

I saw that we were mentioned a couple of times in this thread so I thought it would be worth sharing some information. With this kit, you'll be right at a 2" lowered stance compared to factory height, although you will be able to adjust the ride height with the spanner nut.

The new coilovers that we released use Fox Racing monotube shocks and Hypercoil springs. The steel bodied struts use a billet upper mount (camber/caster adjustments built in) and lower extrusion mount that has the ABS and brake line tabs installed as well. On the rear, we use an impact forged, aluminum shock that also increases the ride quality and performance. 5/8 kevlar lined, spherical bearings are used so that the shocks can articulate throughout the suspension travel.

At the moment, we offer the struts in a single adjustable valving so each driving style can be accommodated. The single adjustables offer a rebound adjustment **** that can fine tune the dampening of the shock for the driver's personal preferences, whether it be on the track, or on the street. We are looking into doing a triple adjustable on the front for racing, we just have to do a little more design work on them. On the rear, we can do a fixed, single, or triple adjustable shock. The triple has high speed compression, low speed compression, and rebound adjustments that give you full adjustability on the track. With some seat time, you'll be able to dial them in for different track conditions.

Here are the 2010+ Camaro struts/shocks

If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!

Last edited by RidetechJosh; 03-11-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 06:44 AM
Staging Lane

In order to stay around a 1" drop vs the 2" that these will allow, you adjust the flange under the spring. When doing this it will compress the spring correct? Would I need to order a different spring rate to keep the ride from getting harsh or how does that work?

Old 03-20-2014, 03:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6
In order to stay around a 1" drop vs the 2" that these will allow, you adjust the flange under the spring. When doing this it will compress the spring correct? Would I need to order a different spring rate to keep the ride from getting harsh or how does that work?

Nope. The spring rate stays the same no matter how much or how little they are preloaded. There's enough travel in these shocks to add some additional preload into them to get the drop you want.

Quick Reply: quality coilovers