Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

New Camaro alot like a gto

Old 12-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Camaro alot like a gto

I was wondering if any of you guys feel the same way about the new camaro. I am a huge gm fan but the car is not going to save them. Look at how big of a hit the gto was. The camaro is built by the same people and has irs. I like how it looks but there should be an option for a solid rear. Is the diff going to blow apart when you put upgrades on it like cts vs and gtos do. I am gm guy but ford is where I would go to buy a new car to built parts on and take to the track. Ford offers several different options for a fast off the floor car. Is gm going to have 2 option v6 or v8 that is no fun. Just my two cents
Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sanddperformance
I was wondering if any of you guys feel the same way about the new camaro.
While I do sort of feel the same way, I don't think it's a bad thing, the GTO (and more importantly, the G8 that shares even more with the new Camaro) was a GREAT car for the money offering an AMAZING interior and ride quality in a low 13/high 12 second package.

Originally Posted by sanddperformance
Is the diff going to blow apart when you put upgrades on it like cts vs and gtos do.
No, it won't.
The (first gen) CTS-V is a different animal but the GTO (and the G8) have VERY strong rear set ups actually, especially when the car is an automatic.
I watched a guy named Kenny with his then 'still IRS' Cartek rear mount/STS turbo black GTO cut low 1.4 sixty foots on his way to a 9.7 (and other multiple high 9s) at over 141mph all on a stock GTO IRS.
The new Camaro will be fine.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

So you'd get a Ford because it's slower stock and you want to have to run a blower to hang with a new Camaro with a converter and drag radials?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Camaro will do alot better than the GTO.The GTO was more of a older person's car were the Camaro suit's all ages.The part's breaking under too much HP well that will happen to all models if you just upgrade the motor and not do the whole drivetrain.I think the Camaro will make a great come back.How long it will last we will have to see.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Camaro won't save GM, GM will have to save GM.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

what ever happened to the bail out? lol i lost track of that junk

but looking at how the IRS is setup, i believe they have larger diameter on one side vs the other to prevent wheel hop (lol hello cobra's)
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

they look alike because they are both coupes with big v8's and IRS, but thats about it
Old 12-09-2008, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

buy it and find out
Old 12-09-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure what GTO you looked at......
Old 12-09-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by reject
what ever happened to the bail out? lol i lost track of that junk

They didn't get the money they requested, but they are getting some to hold them over til the new administration takes over. Allegedly Obama has been working on a plan he will put in place to help out the big 3.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
So you'd get a Ford because it's slower stock and you want to have to run a blower to hang with a new Camaro with a converter and drag radials?
Same thing I was thinking
Old 12-09-2008, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

From what i have been reading from forum to forum ,site to site, lets hope all the enthusiast waving the bow-tie banner actual purchase the new Camaro. This car should prove more popular due to it's looks alone. I like the GTO but found it lacking in visual aesthetics.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Believe it or not, the drag racing crowd is the minority, even with the Camaro. If GM put a live axle in the new Camaro it would hurt sales more over a broader demographic than putting IRS in it will. Besides, they have made a lot of progress in IRS setups since the original CTS-V's.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GTO is/was a great car but it just didn't catch peoples eyes.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

IF the Camaro was nothing more than a little more flashy version of the GTO (and it's not, it is significantly more than that) when we'd still be doing pretty good. The 05-06 GTO was a pretty great combo wrapped in a mundane shell.

The Camaro SS w/ an LS3 is the way to go, you'll be able to make 500+ hp w/ bolt ons and a cam w/ total ease, and a drivetrain that should easily be able to handle it. The LS3 is an insane engine for us to be getting in the "base" V8 Camaro, what a kickass deal.

Not until (and if) Ford releases their rumored 375+hp 5.0l engines (and only if they dump them in GTs) will the Mustang even compare as far as your "standard" V8 models go.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'm a Chevy guy and would definitely buy a Shelby, which appear to be strong enough to put 650 to 700 at the wheels. Is the LSX able to hold this kind of power or get there fairly cheap?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, look at the ls2 blocks in the GTO's getting boosted
Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk/slvr02ss
The Camaro will do alot better than the GTO.The GTO was more of a older person's car were the Camaro suit's all ages.The part's breaking under too much HP well that will happen to all models if you just upgrade the motor and not do the whole drivetrain.I think the Camaro will make a great come back.How long it will last we will have to see.
old persons car? i baught mine brand new at 26 years old, infact most of the people I know that own them are in there 20's younger 30's.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OP is so misinformed. The IRS on the 05-06 GTO's is plenty beefed up. I don't think about it 1/2 as much as I worried about the SS's. It just isn't the coolest looking car. Thats why it didn't sell.

CTS-V's had a design flaw and were blowing up under light duty by normal folks just driving around. They were even blowing up on regular CTS's.

The Camaro will be a great car. Faster than the GTO with the same comfort and sexy as a corvette. Also track tested in the Nurbeuring (sp?) in Germany. Many magazines and shows have raved about how well GM's cars that are tested/tuned there handle.

So yes, the Camaro will be a lot like the GTO except faster, stronger (hopefully), and sexier.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

GM spent alot of time and money to upgrade the Camaro's IRS, so that should'nt be on top of your worry list. They didn't expect alot of the early CTS-Vs to be drag racing and it bit them in the butt, there was no excuse for the GTO's wheel hop issue. FWIW, GM did shoot themselves in the leg with the design of the GTO, but it had a great powerplant. The Camaro will have alot more "built in" buyers than the GTO, way too many years from the original GTO until the newer ones, all those old guys who felt nostalgic enough to buy a new one couldn't see well enough to tell if it was a Grand Am, Grand Prix or a GTO at the lot, so they bought a Buick instead. There's still quite a "younger" following for the Camaro. If considering a Ford with the "fast off the showroom floor" options, consider a bank account historectamy, you'll pay alot to get a Mustang from the factory that'll hang with the top of the line Camaro.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Camaro alot like a gto