Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

LS3 defective lifters?

Old 07-14-2010, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 defective lifters?

My car is in the shop for valve train noise issues on passenger side - not extreme, but not normal either, does not go away after start up (this is a LS3 engine).

Dealer initially said he would look into oil pressure-blockage issues on that side.

1st report back from dealer yesterday, was they have determined problem is with components associated with cylinder #6 - ruled out accessible top side components, leaving problem to be either a bad lifter or bad cam.

Report today is that the lifter roller pin broke; dealer claims GM is saying only way this could happen is over rev of engine.

I have never hit red line yet (still breaking in <1,200 miles), and only came close to red line a couple times under light acceleration - besides I thought we have a rev limiter.

Strange thing is all of the parts were in place no missing needle bearings, no apparent damage to valve, push rod, rocker arm or cam. Quite puzzling.

Big issue is damage done by broken pin - it scraped the "lifter cylinder" as it worked its way out of the lifter. May have toasted the block.

Anyway if anyone knows of other instances of a lifter roller pin breaking, please let me know. I may have a fight with GM on this.
Attached Thumbnails LS3 defective lifters?-img_0521_edited-122.jpg   LS3 defective lifters?-img_0518-002.jpg  
Old 07-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Launching!

You wont have to fight with them as long as your car is stock.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by fastls1inaz
You wont have to fight with them as long as your car is stock.
That is what I am thinking also. The LS3 has so many limits in the computer that even if you hit the limiter your not going to hurt anything. Now if you downshifted from fourth to first then it's mechanical rev and not limited by the computer.

Chances are you got a defective lifter. If you are stock there should be no question.

Good luck!

Robin
Old 07-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Teching In

I do have some mod's that is what scares me, have CAI, suspension work etc. nothing change in/on engine or anything done that I feel can relate to the breakage.

I have been honest with the Dealer and GM letting them know everything I did.

I have good news to report, today GM gave my dealer the go ahead to replace the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS3 defective lifters?