Gen 5 Racing Tech Heads, cam, valvetrain, short block discussion

How durable is the Automatic in the new Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How durable is the Automatic in the new Camaro?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

supposedly its very strong and faster than the manual
Old 12-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
supposedly its very strong and faster than the manual
i dont ever see that happening, theres less drive train loss with a mnual over auto
Old 12-04-2008, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea I find that hard to believe.. a automatic is ..a automatic. It should never be as reliable as a MANUAL. Anything usually thats automatic is less reliable then something that is manual. Id imagine its strong but the manual trany for that is prob even stronger
Old 12-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Automatics are now faster and becoming the standard. They are computer controlled. You cannot shift faster than a computer. It may hold true with older cars but look at any new supercar, they are all automatic. As far as durability, I'm not sure, hop over to the Corvette forum and ask those guys.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CWW17
Automatics are now faster and becoming the standard. They are computer controlled. You cannot shift faster than a computer. .
wanna make a bet!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I hear that the 6L80 transmissions are good up to 550-600rwhp, perhaps folks are referring to C6 and G8 experiences with the transmission?

I have also heard the cases are restrictive and don't allow for much extra room to add more clutch packs, can anyone react to that? I'd like to see what Yank or FLT or any other noted transmission company would say.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TT632
I have almost the exact same trans (6L80) in my LS2 Corvette and it has held up to well over 80 all out 1/4 mile passes and some very hard street miles incredibly well. Granted my car is lighter than the new Camaro and does make more power at the crank than even my very lightly modded (CAI, t-stat, Cartek tuning) but the trans is also designed for heavier truck use.

I have TOTAL confidence in the A6 holding up reliably and dependably in the new Camaros.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by fccs
Yea I find that hard to believe.. a automatic is ..a automatic. It should never be as reliable as a MANUAL. Anything usually thats automatic is less reliable then something that is manual. Id imagine its strong but the manual trany for that is prob even stronger
I might have to agree there as long as you're not including the clutch in those scenarios.
If history has taught us anything it is that in general most stock clutches are not all that reliable/strong.
Under hard use, you will replace the clutch on a manual Camaro LONG before you'll need to rebuild the trans in the automatic version.

But the actual transmission units themselves? Yes the relatively simple manual is likely more reliable than the far more complicated automatic.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I might have to agree there as long as you're not including the clutch in those scenarios.
If history has taught us anything it is that in general most stock clutches are not all that reliable/strong.
Under hard use, you will replace the clutch on a manual Camaro LONG before you'll need to rebuild the trans in the automatic version.

But the actual transmission units themselves? Yes the relatively simple manual is likely more reliable than the far more complicated automatic.
ive rarely seen a TOTALLY stock car need a clutch replacement, if it did it was due to poor driving habits (aka DONT KNWO HOW TO DRIVE) or when modding began. But yes your arguement holds water!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I have almost the exact same trans (6L80) in my LS2 Corvette and it has held up to well over 80 all out 1/4 mile passes and some very hard street miles incredibly well. Granted my car is lighter than the new Camaro and does make more power at the crank than even my very lightly modded (CAI, t-stat, Cartek tuning) but the trans is also designed for heavier truck use.

I have TOTAL confidence in the A6 holding up reliably and dependably in the new Camaros.
Thanks LS1LT1. Thats what I was looking for. How many gears does it shift through the 1/4? I'll jump over to the Corvette forum. I'm sure there has to be some there whos killed one?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I hear that the 6L80 transmissions are good up to 550-600rwhp, perhaps folks are referring to C6 and G8 experiences with the transmission?

I have also heard the cases are restrictive and don't allow for much extra room to add more clutch packs, can anyone react to that? I'd like to see what Yank or FLT or any other noted transmission company would say.

As long as people dont take all the TQ management out, they will last a long while.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jay Vicious
wanna make a bet!
Yes I would. I'll take BMW's SMG Transmission. I realize it's not exactly an automatic, but there is no clutch.

Or how about we take matching 2008 911 Turbo's, I'll be in the auto, you take the manual. I promise I'll take you.

I don't dislike manual's, I have car's with each transmission. It just bothers me when people put down a preference as inferior, when it is simply a matter of opinion.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Yes I would. I'll take BMW's SMG Transmission. I realize it's not exactly an automatic, but there is no clutch.

Or how about we take matching 2008 911 Turbo's, I'll be in the auto, you take the manual. I promise I'll take you.

I don't dislike manual's, I have car's with each transmission. It just bothers me when people put down a preference as inferior, when it is simply a matter of opinion.
hahahahaha ill just speed shift over you and grab a good lead... if i wanted matching time slips ill get an auto, if i wanna go faster ill take a manual.

you cna have whatever you want as a car, same car in and out excoet for a trans and i bet my life on it that if i dont miss gear ill own you in every race! PERIOD!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Wut he said ^^
Old 12-05-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Junkie

"wanna make a bet!"

Actually, yes.

W
Old 12-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
Wut he said ^^
stock for stock a 6 speed should never lose, why is it MOST fbodys

autos do 13.7 - 13.4
6spd does 13.5-13.0
Old 12-05-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Auto computers have come a long way over the course of 10 years. If you look at the G8, or the C6, the #'s the manual's and auto's are putting down are neck and neck. The BMW M3's auto actually outruns the manual by a tenth according to a motor trend I read when it came out. Might have been just a bad manual or a bad shifter that day, but the new 6 speed auto's are pretty quick.

I only mention the M3 cause GM, Ford, and BMW worked together on these trannies. So your new camaro shares trannies with an M3 and the Stang, besides the Vette, CTS-V, and soon to be distant G8.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

The new Caddy CTS-V will be available with the auto-six. It puts out over 560hp and a boatload of torque. Suffice to say GM has a durable auto now and not just a 4L60E with two more gears. Caddy also claims the new CTS-V is .2 seconds quicker to sixty and in the quarter with the auto but with a tad less fuel economy.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Launching!

you have to figure a manual can launch at whatever rpm he/she wants put a converter in the auto and see what happens. only an idiot would think he could shift faster than a computer.

Quick Reply: How durable is the Automatic in the new Camaro?