Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

Doing gears in an A8 car?

Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Doing gears in an A8 car?

I was wondering if anyone had considered doing rear gears in their A8 car. I was thinking that 3.27's like the CTS-V's have might be really good for the track. Especially for a bolt on car or possibly H/C car. From what I have seen and from a C7 I have access to, we are going through the traps in 5th@5,300ish@125 and have pretty weak 60ft times for stock converter cars. I know first gears is really deep in these cars but you can't even use 6th on the dyno. I think I was at 1,500rpm at 70 the other day in 8th. I don't even know if anyone makes gears for these cars yet or if the center section is the same as previous years and V's.

There are a lot of tune related things killing the 60ft as well so maybe working that out first would be best. The other issue I see is that these transmissions are very sensitive to tuning changes and can kill themselves because of it. Gears may be a serious issue to tune.

Last edited by Pray; 07-03-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

are they even available yet?
Old 07-05-2016, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the center section is the same as previous years than yes. If I have no idea if someone makes them yet.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pray
The other issue I see is that these transmissions are very sensitive to tuning changes and can kill themselves because of it. Gears may be a serious issue to tune.
Any links for this? Makes me nervous looking at a 6G because I want 8l90 and have only seen good thing thus far. The old 4l60's and 6l80's were finicky so I was thinking this was a good sign for GM auto durability.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Any links for this? Makes me nervous looking at a 6G because I want 8l90 and have only seen good thing thus far. The old 4l60's and 6l80's were finicky so I was thinking this was a good sign for GM auto durability.
I believe there is a class action law suit agaist GM with the Corvette guys right now. Talking to guys at the track I know there are a couple C7 guys in my area that are on their 2nd to 4th A8's respectively. Early on, a few of the tuners I know were applying the old 6L80 tuning tricks which is basically what I did. But now some of them aren't even tuning A8's any more. Talking to them now they change very little in the tunes if they change anything. The taboo points I have seen are shift pressures (which I haven't personally messed with) shift speeds (which I have messed with) and shift timing (which I have messed with). Do a search on CF and see what you come up with.

For now I am only going to mess with converter lock up and tq reduction tables on my SS. I will use the slap shifter for higher than GM set rpm points until I have more definitive answers on the tuning and it's effects.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darnit. 6l80 and 4l65 scared me away from C6 and I was hoping since the 8l90 is in the c7Z it could take some abuse on the lower model Camaro. 6l80 I know is a flip of the coin at 650rwhp. Most tuners I know had to stray away from the common desired "firm" shifts to allow it to disengage and engage clutches
Old 07-14-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, after the C7 I was involved with that set pump gas bolt on record the owner didn't want to deal with an A8 again and bought a M7 C7Z. That transmission and all its little issues cost a few tenths and mph for sure. I would have like to climbed a few more spots over the E85 guys on the list. I really had to have an auto for a few reasons so I dove in on my Camaro with the A8. I have been doing some research and it seems that the 16's should have less troubles. There were some revisions to the TC and tuning from what I can find. The trans strength is actually really good. They will handle a ton of power and some abuse if you keep the cool. Just be careful with what you mess with in the tune. For some reason when you start messing with the tuning the BCM don't connect to the TCM any more and a host of other things.

My car will hit 500 miles next week. I am going to change the engine and diff fluids and have the dealership change the trans oil and filter. I am sure they will laugh at me and I am willing to pay for it. I just want to see what the filter and oil look like before I go modding this thing.
Old 08-04-2016, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Really the only reason I want a small bump in gear ratio is for first. It's long, at least for a stock car, maybe that will change as I mod it. Any tire I add to the 20s will increase the tire height, so a very small bump would be nice, but I doubt that option will be available. We'll see...
Old 08-05-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those are great stock dyno numbers and ET. Did you run in warmer weather? Looks like you have some 11's in there for sure with those dyno numbers. What was your 60ft. 12.1 with a 114 mph took some 60ft work for sure.

Listening to the faster/lauder cars going down the track it seems that 2nd is a very short gear. The cars sound to be in first longer than they are in second and then third takes a while. I never noticed it running the C7 but I was worrying about other things.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never mind. Just watched the vid in your sig. Good runs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doing gears in an A8 car?