Gen 6 Camaro 2016+ Forum The forum for discussion of the 6th Gen 2016+ Camaro

2017 2SS Camaro maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 2017 2SS Camaro maintenance

Hey guys...

I have about 290K miles on my 2002 SS. The car runs fine, but I'm thinking of getting a 2017 2SS.

My question is: Can we still work on these cars ourselves or do we have to go to the dealer to reset codes and things?

I haven't purchased a car in 15 years and used to working on all my cars myself. However, the other day I was helping a friend with his BMW and he was telling me the nightmare he came across just to change out a battery. I hooked up my scanner to try and reset code on his car and couldn't. I was kinda shocked. The scanner I have is pretty good and only about a year old. Nevertheless, my point is, are these manufacturers making these cars more difficult to work on and what do they restrict us from repairing ourselves? I'd like to get a new 2017, but hell...if I can't save money on doing the work myself, it might not be worth it. Does this make sense and can anyone help answer my questions...?

As always, thanks for your help and advice.

Al
Old 06-17-2017, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very easy to work on yourself. Tunes are not locked down (except for the 10 speed auto TCM) and hook-up to OBDII port is all good for checking codes and data logging.
General servicing and fluid changes are not bad either. I doubt you'll have any issues there.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry for not getting back sooner...I've been out fishin'. Thanks for the feedback, mlee. Good to hear we can still work on these cars. I am gonna order the 6-speed - no worries on the autotrans, for me.

The dealership installs Lojack on these cars from the factory. I understand that cars are sometimes stolen so they use Lojack to track and shut the cars down. That is fine, but I am concerned that someday cities will tap into this and prevent cars from exceeding speed limits - more control/restrictions. You can decline the Lojack service, but the device is still installed and in fact, can be activated anytime on demand.

Just rambling...

Thanks again for the feedback, mlee.

If there are others that might have something to add, please feel free to contribute.

Appreciation in advance,
Al
Old 06-22-2017, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSS
Sorry for not getting back sooner...I've been out fishin'. Thanks for the feedback, mlee. Good to hear we can still work on these cars. I am gonna order the 6-speed - no worries on the autotrans, for me.

The dealership installs Lojack on these cars from the factory. I understand that cars are sometimes stolen so they use Lojack to track and shut the cars down. That is fine, but I am concerned that someday cities will tap into this and prevent cars from exceeding speed limits - more control/restrictions. You can decline the Lojack service, but the device is still installed and in fact, can be activated anytime on demand.

Just rambling...

Thanks again for the feedback, mlee.

If there are others that might have something to add, please feel free to contribute.

Appreciation in advance,
Al
That would be OnStar and the antenna can be disconnected.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks again, mlee. well...it looks like you cannot order 2017, only 2018's now. Gotta go to the dealer to see what I can get. Their online site is not up to "build your own" 2018 Camaro and they don't know when it will be available. Odd... If you plan on selling a new car, you'd think you would have the site ready ahead of time. You can plug in prices on the day the car becomes available. Just odd...

Al
Old 06-27-2017, 05:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSS
Thanks again, mlee. well...it looks like you cannot order 2017, only 2018's now. Gotta go to the dealer to see what I can get. Their online site is not up to "build your own" 2018 Camaro and they don't know when it will be available. Odd... If you plan on selling a new car, you'd think you would have the site ready ahead of time. You can plug in prices on the day the car becomes available. Just odd...

Al
Yeah, that is crazy since they are already delivering 2018's. A buddy of mine picks up his 2018 ZL1 1LE today.

You can still build a 2017 that will be exactly the same anyway. I don't even think pricing changed and if so not much.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:37 AM
Staging Lane

That's exactly what I did, mlee. I built a 2017 and will take those options to a local dealer. Hopefully, they will still have the same options on the 2018 and maybe a few others. Wish I could swing a ZL1 1LE. Your bud is gonna enjoy that ride. Also, will have to check out the differences (interior/exterior) between the two years.

Al
Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

No differences at all. Enjoying the hell out of my 10 speed auto. The alpha platform has been a big hit with the 6th gen. I think you will like it for sure.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 AM
On the tree

Actually the ECM had a security protocol update in 2017, it now takes 4 credits ($200) thru HP Tuners) to tune a 2017+ Camaro. Also the 2017+ TCM is now locked down as well, the TCM has to be pulled and sent in to have the TCM unlocked so you can tune them.

That goes for any 2017+ auto (A8 or A10). The unlock cost $250 for the TCM then the $200 for the license fees.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
Actually the ECM had a security protocol update in 2017, it now takes 4 credits ($200) thru HP Tuners) to tune a 2017+ Camaro. Also the 2017+ TCM is now locked down as well, the TCM has to be pulled and sent in to have the TCM unlocked so you can tune them.

That goes for any 2017+ auto (A8 or A10). The unlock cost $250 for the TCM then the $200 for the license fees.
True... except I believe the unlock is $150.

Quick Reply: 2017 2SS Camaro maintenance