General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Penzoil Platinum

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pennzoil Platinum is an excellent oil! I've been using it for a couple of years now and the oil analysis results have shown low engine wear.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes P/P has shown time and time again that it performs well in oil analysis results. The results speak for themselves.

Unfortunately it's not much less then mobile1 in cost.

Amsoil has shown to be the overall best in oil analysis, even over P/P.

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Last edited by bearcatt; 02-28-2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: My spelling bites.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bearcatt
Yes P/P has shown time and time again that it performs well in oil analysis results. The results speak for themselves.

Unfortunatley it's not much less then mobile1 in cost.

Amsoil has shown to be the overall best in oil analysis, even over P/P.

http://www.dysonanalysis.com/
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I find up here that Pennzoil Platinum goes on sale for a lot lower price than Mobil 1, even if the regular price of the two oils are the same. For instance, when M1 goes on sale up here it's usually no less than $25 for a 4.4L jug but I picked up a couple of Pennzoil Platinum 4.4L jugs a month or two ago for only $19.88. Also, in the US I've heard of a lot of buy one get one free deals on PP over the past year, and at one point they had a rebate going where your final price ended up being $1 per quart! I know a lot of guys who stocked up on PP when that deal was around!

I do agree that Amsoil has consistently shown itself to be a top performer in oil analysis, but it's higher price and limited availability in some areas makes it a tough choice for some people. Most people like to just drive up to their local Walmart or Autozone and grab whatever is on the shelf. A lot of people are also put off by their marketing strategies, but don't let the methods of a small few of their overzealous salesmen taint your view of this oil, it truly is one of the very best out there.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Patman
I find up here that Pennzoil Platinum goes on sale for a lot lower price than Mobil 1, even if the regular price of the two oils are the same. For instance, when M1 goes on sale up here it's usually no less than $25 for a 4.4L jug but I picked up a couple of Pennzoil Platinum 4.4L jugs a month or two ago for only $19.88. Also, in the US I've heard of a lot of buy one get one free deals on PP over the past year, and at one point they had a rebate going where your final price ended up being $1 per quart! I know a lot of guys who stocked up on PP when that deal was around!

I do agree that Amsoil has consistently shown itself to be a top performer in oil analysis, but it's higher price and limited availability in some areas makes it a tough choice for some people. Most people like to just drive up to their local Walmart or Autozone and grab whatever is on the shelf. A lot of people are also put off by their marketing strategies, but don't let the methods of a small few of their overzealous salesmen taint your view of this oil, it truly is one of the very best out there.
We have a Walmart not far from my place. I should check that out.
I've been buying P/P by the case or by the bottle. Perhaps I can get a better deal on P/P if I checkout Walmart or shop around a bit.

I've thought about trying Amsoil. Like you said, it's price and limited availability make it a tougher choice for some. My main issue with using Amsoil, is not the product itself but the extended drain intervals they reccommend. Being a maintainence fanatic, I like to change my oil and filter every few thousand miles. LOL

Old 02-28-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bearcatt
We have a Walmart not far from my place. I should check that out.
I've been buying P/P by the case or by the bottle. Perhaps I can get a better deal on P/P if I checkout Walmart or shop around a bit.
Definitely keep your eye out for deals, as Pennzoil has had a lot of great deals out there. So stock up whenever you find it!

I've thought about trying Amsoil. Like you said, it's price and limited availability make it a tougher choice for some. My main issue with using Amsoil, is not the product itself but the extended drain intervals they reccommend. Being a maintainence fanatic, I like to change my oil and filter every few thousand miles. LOL

The 25-35k intervals that Amsoil recommends for some of it's oils is a little bit too far for most situations, especially guys like us with high performance cars that get driven hard. But there are some rare situations where you could do those super long intervals, in a regular non high performance car that gets driven mostly on long highway trips. If someone had a job that was far away, or if their job meant they spend all day long travelling on the highway, they are a perfect candidate for these types of long intervals. I often hear of people who travel a couple of hundred miles a day for their job, but they say they still change their oil every 3 to 5k! Not necessary.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely keep your eye out for deals, as Pennzoil has had a lot of great deals out there. So stock up whenever you find it!
Yep, that sounds like a plan.

The 25-35k intervals that Amsoil recommends for some of it's oils is a little bit too far for most situations, especially guys like us with high performance cars that get driven hard. But there are some rare situations where you could do those super long intervals, in a regular non high performance car that gets driven mostly on long highway trips. If someone had a job that was far away, or if their job meant they spend all day long travelling on the highway, they are a perfect candidate for these types of long intervals. I often hear of people who travel a couple of hundred miles a day for their job, but they say they still change their oil every 3 to 5k! Not necessary.
I see what you mean, that makes sense. I think I'll just stock up on the P/P for now. Where I live it's the ultimate oil killer. We have traffic, hills, curvy roads, heat, cold, than heat again, all the worse conditions for oil breakdown.

It's also good to keep track of the various oil products because they change and evolve over time. What's good now may not be good in 6 months or year. I remember when mobile1 was at the top of the list for off the shelf oils.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Teching In

in my case i use m1 all the time since i got my car,but i haven't heard no one mention royal purple i use it one time and that is it, didn't gave it a chance for the reason i am a creature of habit and don't like change much. so i went back to m1 put ill try pp and give it a try. plus at costco or sam's club they have m1 for $33 bucks a case of 6 and in the auto parts they r like $7 and change for a quart
Old 02-28-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaro19973
in my case i use m1 all the time since i got my car,but i haven't heard no one mention royal purple i use it one time and that is it, didn't gave it a chance for the reason i am a creature of habit and don't like change much. so i went back to m1 put ill try pp and give it a try. plus at costco or sam's club they have m1 for $33 bucks a case of 6 and in the auto parts they r like $7 and change for a quart

To be honest R/P has never tested well in any of the oil analysis for our cars.

Quick Reply: Penzoil Platinum