General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Anybody use one the steering wheel controls as a basic switch??

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody use one the steering wheel controls as a basic switch??

I would like to use one of the stock steering controls as a N2O or maybe a launch switch.. I have the schematics and it looks like GM used a resistor network to reduce the amount of wires.. This way all switches have a common ground with a resisitor betweeen each switch..the stereo head unit then reads the total resistance value and knows what function to do.. However, has any ever pulled the switch body out of the steering wheel?? Basic logic tells me that i could pick a switch and use that wire and the "common ground" and bypass the resistors... But, the other switches would obviously quit working..Any input or experience??
Old 12-07-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting idea. This might be a bit out there......but perhaps...you could try using a PAC SWIX (the universal IR adaptor) and setup a particular button's command to activate an IR controlled relay. I am trying to use the controls for a different purpose myself, but while poking around I did notice that there are some systems, mostly dedicated to home automation stuff, that will take a specific IR command and close a relay. This would leave the rest of your buttons available to control the radio, or other functions if you wish.

Just a thought, but I do hope to see this thread progress as the concept interests me. I absolutely LOVE "batman" style tricks like that.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Well, I am on it.. I will order a replacement switch housing from my GM parts guru tomorrow. Then, I can ohm out the switches and figure out a way to do it WITHOUT losing the the other two switches in the assembly... It would be very cool to use the "mute" button as a nitrous activation point..
Old 12-08-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That sounds like an awesome idea. I've heard of people using window switches as kill switches, but I'm curious to see how this turns out
Old 12-08-2009, 12:23 AM
On The Tree

Good luck, I'd love to see how it turns out. I'd be into this myself, if only I had the bucks to play with the kinda power NOS provides! Hope to see you posting your results. I'm curious as to how you can make a circuit to look for a specific ohm reading and bypass all the rest.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM
On The Tree

Were you able to find anything about the wire to the steering wheel and any of the resistance? I am looking to do something familiar with my car except I'm trying to get my volume controls to control my e-cutout and have a switch that can make it so that I am still able to control my radio.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

You could use one switch for sure but like you said it would make the other switches usless. It would be nice if someone made an interface to read the diff resistance values and control relays. For say nitrous, e cut outs, 2 step ect....
Old 01-01-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spaz1
You could use one switch for sure but like you said it would make the other switches usless. It would be nice if someone made an interface to read the diff resistance values and control relays. For say nitrous, e cut outs, 2 step ect....
That's exactly what I'm working on. A buddy of mine and I are going to try and make a logic board that will basically do the same thing that the radio does in the car so that I can use the volume control to control me e-cutout and have it still it control my radio. I'm just trying to find more info on this which I believe I have come across. The only problem is I don't have much time to do this and my friend doesn't live around here and he's only in town for a few days at a time. If we manage to do this I'll try and take lots of pics and document everything
Old 01-01-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

seems like a very good idea good luck
Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

I was thinking about doing this as well. I'm curious to know how this turns out.