General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Insurance question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Insurance question

I was just wondering who you guys recommend for insurance for your f-bodies. I have a 99 t/a with some modifications. I tried Grundy's, but they said I have "inadequate daily transportation." I listed my 06 silverado on the application, I forgot to mention my motorcycle and my gf's vehicle. I was going to try and call them and talk with them about how many other vehicles I need for adequate daily transportation, but did not know if there were other companies that anyone knew of for modified vehicles not used as DDs.

Thanks,
Peter
Old 11-07-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State farm was the only place that would insure me for my 99 WS6 as a primary vehicle at 17. Everyone else wouldn't insure the car or I would have to have another non V8 performance car as a main vehicle, not even a turd gen. I think I could have with Allstate but they wouldn't let me create my own policy at my age without my mom being on it.

Do not mention ANY modifications.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

geico
Old 11-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have american family no problems with my 98 ss
Old 11-08-2009, 03:41 AM
TECH Regular

Another for state farm. Had '99 TA as primary vehicle and only vehicle, full coverage.. at 18.

Only thing I don't like though, is now that I do have a daily driver, they won't let me move the T/A to pleasure car status... something about the more expensive vehicle _has_ to be the primary.... it's all about them getting tons of cash..
Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

USAA and couldn't be happier
Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

I have geico. I would not reccomend them when you need them to pay a claim but i still got some time to go before I change since i just pay mine off every 6 months. I have a 98 T/A 96 Z28 95 Eclipse GSX and a 03 Mountaineer on that policy. Im also 28 years old to so that may help along with my clean record. State Farm is good about the parts they use when paying a claim.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackstang3o2
I have geico. I would not reccomend them when you need them to pay a claim but i still got some time to go before I change since i just pay mine off every 6 months. I have a 98 T/A 96 Z28 95 Eclipse GSX and a 03 Mountaineer on that policy. Im also 28 years old to so that may help along with my clean record. State Farm is good about the parts they use when paying a claim.
I agree with that. I used to use state farm, and they have great people that will get you taken care of, their prices were just a little too high for me. I switched about 9 months ago, and right off the bat, I started paying HALF of what I was paying with state farm for full coverage.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the reply, sorry I forgot to mention I am 25 and clean driving record. I was told if I do NOT mention that it had modifications and I were to file a claim, they would only cover a stock t/a...I had been doing this for awhile, but I do not want to take the risk anymore, plus I only drive it occasionally now.
As for State farm, I have not checked with them for awhile, but I will check them out. Do they do stated value? My current insurance would do that, but the premium was pretty high even with the house and the other vehicles, so thats why I tried Grundy's.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by peterlawl84
I tried Grundy's, but they said I have "inadequate daily transportation." I listed my 06 silverado on the application, I forgot to mention my motorcycle and my gf's vehicle.
I have Grundy for my '98 Z and '71 Nova, since neither are daily driven. Grundy did not give me any problems about inadequate daily transportation when I listed my DDs for them. Wonder what happened in your case? How many DDs do they think you need. LOL. Does your GF live with you? Maybe not listing a DD for her was the reason. I put one for me and one for my wife when I started the policy.

Originally Posted by Scira
I agree with that. I used to use state farm, and they have great people that will get you taken care of, their prices were just a little too high for me. I switched about 9 months ago, and right off the bat, I started paying HALF of what I was paying with state farm for full coverage.
I have State Farm for my other cars. Their rates are very reasonable, IMO. There is NO WAY IN HELL that any other normal daily driver (non-collector) type insurance policy from any other company could possibily be half the cost of State Farm in my case. I pay only $340 for 6 months of full coverage on my '02 Z.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I have State Farm for my other cars. Their rates are very reasonable, IMO. There is NO WAY IN HELL that any other normal daily driver (non-collector) type insurance policy from any other company could possibily be half the cost of State Farm in my case. I pay only $340 for 6 months of full coverage on my '02 Z.
I'm now paying $315 for 6 months of full coverage, but with state farm I was paying just over $600 for the same coverage over 6 months. I'm 22, state farm isn't always as nice to us youngins...
Old 11-08-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

geico.....just set up everything online and never talk to anyone on the phone.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Just an update, I finally was able to talk with Grundy's and they are not sure why it said inadequate daily transportation. But then they said they would only cover the vehicle for 16K. After sending them a list of the parts on the car, they were willing to cover the vehicle for 30k and said that they would increase coverage as more gets added to the vehicle. The premium for the year is less than what I paid before for 6 months and its $0 deductible...hard to beat, especially if its not going to be a DD anymore
Old 11-26-2009, 01:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

But then they said they would only cover the vehicle for 16K. After sending them a list of the parts on the car, they were willing to cover the vehicle for 30k and said that they would increase coverage as more gets added to the vehicle.
I'm still surprised you're having so many issues getting what you want from them. I put $20k of coverage on my '98 Z right off the bat, and they didn't question it for a moment. Maybe because I was already an exisiting customer? Who knows. I've never heard of them listing a coverage limit for anything (within reason). What amount did you initially request?
Old 11-26-2009, 04:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slayerized6
geico.....just set up everything online and never talk to anyone on the phone.

+1!! very happy with geico. im military and actually had USAA and was paying $105 a month for 2 cars. then i moved to a less populated state and they upped my policy $70 bucks a month..WTF!!! so much for taking care of military customers.. then i tried state farm and it was expensive as heck, but included renters insurance. and i have geico now, and im paying what i was originally paying with USAA.. happy with geico.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

I asked for 30K coverage. The KBB value was around $8500 and I was a new customer, so I am assuming they didnt want to insure for more than double the value without knowing what was on the car. But like I said, they bumped it up to 30k for now, and said they will raise it as I invest more money. As far as the premium, its $454 for the entire year with $0 deductible. So I know the geico prices are great for DD, but since this isn't my DD anymore and I wont be able to drive it nearly as much due to my schedule, I decided to switch to them, even if it was a hassle to set-up initially.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no best company for every car and driver with respect to premium or underwriting guidelines. I sell insurance for a major carrier and am insured with my employer for convenience and the employee discount. A few very general points to keep in mind:
Do not mention to your agent or claims adjuster that the car has been modified for speed or that you ever race it. In their minds (if not in reality) this represents increased risk, even though losses resulting from a racing situation are not covered anyway.
In a claim, your carrier will not compensate you for losses to your American Racing stainless headers, AFR cylinder heads, Yank converter, etc. You may be able to add custom equipment coverage of a stated amount to cover aftermarket wheels and stereo equipment but that's about it.
You may be able to get a stated value policy (as opposed to fair market value in your particular area at the time of the loss), but that kind of thing is usually designed to cover older, somewhat valuable classics. The vast majority of cars on this site really don't meet that description. My dad has his Grand National on a stated value policy with Hagerty.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

As far as the premium, its $454 for the entire year with $0 deductible.
That seems right. My '98 Z is $29x per year for $20k coverage. Their pricing scale is different (lower) for older/antique cars though, as my Nova's preimum is significantly lower for a higher coverage limit.

Originally Posted by Tommyv8
You may be able to get a stated value policy (as opposed to fair market value in your particular area at the time of the loss), but that kind of thing is usually designed to cover older, somewhat valuable classics. The vast majority of cars on this site really don't meet that description. My dad has his Grand National on a stated value policy with Hagerty.
Grundy and Hagerty both offer a similar type of stated value coverage. You do not have to have an antique or classic car to get this type of coverage. I first started my '98 Z28 on a stated value policy when it wasn't even 10 years old. There are restrictions though; car must be garage kept when not in use, you must have an additional car as daily transportation, and the car stated in the policy cannot be used for daily commuting. But there is zero age restriction, at least with Grundy. Hagerty has certain mileage restrictions but Grundy does not.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bad_408_vert
geico
+1..........
Old 11-29-2009, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

i like state farm.
im 17 and its 84 a month so i cant complain