General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Curiosity: Trading in a modded LS1 vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Curiosity: Trading in a modded LS1 vehicle.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has ever traded in their "modded" car into a dealership? It's not something I plan to do but was just curious.

Another question: If a dealership was willing to give you what you were asking for your car, assuming you were selling it, would you trade it in? Or would you rather sell it to someone who knows what kind of car their buying. (ex. LS1tech members)
Old 02-25-2010, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

One of the guys in my club traded in a H/C '99 SS for a brand new GTO back in '04. The dealer took his car even with all the mods.

This is not the route I would go though. You'll pretty much always get more money selling it yourself, whether it's stock OR modded.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i could see a stealership telling you that mods make it less valuable,
and then turn around and advertise it as having "many performance parts!" as a major selling point.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know, but I've been to dealerships that advertise cars that were previous trade in's with mods and charging a **** load.

I think it was a Chrysler/Jeep dealership.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by its turbo time
i could see a stealership telling you that mods make it less valuable,
and then turn around and advertise it as having "many performance parts!" as a major selling point.
This is EXACTLY what they do.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just sale it yourself "MOST" dealerships will tell you that it hurts the resale value then turn it around sale it way more than what it's worth......
Old 02-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Teching In

As a former auto sales person and manager, do NOT take a car in w/ modifications. Maybe in some areas it might work, but if they were brought on our lot, they were traded for a ridiculously low amount or not traded in. There were a few I would have loved to purchased personally, just didn't have the time. When I purchased my first car I traded in a 94 Toy p/u and the guy told me to take out the head unit I put in and replace it with the original and he would give $5k cash for it. A lot of customers that see a used car like that automatically think it was raced, abused, possibly crashed.

The problem is they might sell quick if someone is looking for that particular kind of car, but if they are not, it sits on the lot wasting space. As far as I know, if I'm looking for a souped up car, short of something like a Roush Mustang or something, it won't be at a dealership. It either gets sold to another dealership, sent to another dealership in the same corporation or goes to auction. It would sell for jack squat at auction.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also work at a Dealership but in the Service department. But I still have seen some ridiculous **** and I will tell anyone right now, DONT TRADE YOUR LSX INTO A DEALERSHIP!!!! They will rip you off with the trade in value.

But on the other hand, I got my car at my dealership because it was traded in with 71k miles on it and I got it at dealer employee price for $2950, so it worked out in my favor. But I do feel kinda sorry for the guy who traded it in lol. His mistake, my lucky day.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

trading in a modded LS1 is blasphemy! i vote

j/k, you won't get anywhere near the money that was put into it for a trade in though. most dealerships i've had experience with will give you blue book at best
Old 02-28-2010, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

I traded in my old 2007 Mustang that I had work done on for my 02 Z28, and they asked me how much I spent on my mods, and based on that valued my car...then two weeks later, they had my car advertised as "2007 Mustang Deluxe" or something like that...
Old 02-28-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicinity
I don't know, but I've been to dealerships that advertise cars that were previous trade in's with mods and charging a **** load.

I think it was a Chrysler/Jeep dealership.
I see this with Jeeps all the time.

Personally, I would try to sell it myself, or if I was going to trade it in, I'd de-mod as much as I could first.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if someone wanted to give me what i wanted for it i could care less who it is. a dealer wouldnt give me what i wanted for my GTO or id have a new camaro right now.