General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

True SS with no SS interior badging?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True SS with no SS interior badging?

I'm looking at a 2001 SS. there are a few things I thought odd with the car...
1) Cloth seats. Thought it was kind of odd, but nothing too out of hand.
2) No badging on the interior. There are no SS emblems anywhere that I could see.
3) No SLP sticker on the door jambs... Not on either side.

I took pics of the RPO codes and VIN etc. Looked up all of the options, and called SLP to check the production number and they gave me the number. I looked at the VIN in the dash as well just to make sure they were the same and of course they are.

Am I being too paranoid and ignorant here? Maybe, but I'm just trying to look out for my best interests... I've looked at all of the stickies and searched but I cant answer these 3 questions solidly so I figured I'd post it here in hopes of clarity.

thanks all
Old 11-29-2010, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car doesn't have any SS badges on the interior, nor does it have an SLP sticker. And it is possible to get cloth seats in an SS if they ordered it that way. As long as the RPO on the driver door has z28 and WU8 then your fine.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Nothing on the interior on mine either.
SLP stickers list the additional SLP content.
No sticker- no additional content, just the minimum to make it an SS.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Thought we already did this thread?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Thought we already did this thread?
Not for me, but thanks as usual for your usual snide remarks and condesending attitude

Just thought it was odd thats all... I cant help to triple check on something that I'm gonna buy
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I was asking an honest question. I posted helpful info in the thread. Now my post, which apparently was in this thread, is gone. Funny, who would go around deleting posts? Or perhaps it was the glitch in the website that happened this morning. I dunno, I thought the previous thread was deleted or this was a duplicate. Jeez...

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 11-29-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

My original post was a quote from another poster, whose post looks missing also. It simply stated that the dash plaque was optional and not all SSs got it I do not believe. Floor mats may have been optional as well I'm not 100% on that one. No other logos are located inside the car.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Actually smartass I was asking an honest question. I posted helpful info in the thread. Now my post, which apparently was in this thread, is gone. Funny, who would go around deleting posts? Or perhaps it was the glitch in the website that happened this morning. I dunno, I thought the previous thread was deleted or this was a duplicate. Jeez...
Thats fine and dandy and I will apologize for my mistake on this one Thanks for the help. I know you are knowlegeable about much on here
Old 11-29-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would never light into someone trying to be an educated consumer such as you are doing my friend. I absolutely stand behind that 100%. And besides, I knew nothing about SSs when I bought mine and registered here. Everybody starts somewhere
Old 11-29-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no interior badges either, but do have SLP stickers on the doors. They arent readable, but they're there.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you verify the WU8 code on the RPO's?
Old 11-29-2010, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NufNuffZ28
Did you verify the WU8 code on the RPO's?
Yes I did. It also has the some of tue other options like the FE4 etc(im pretty sure the FE4 is limited to SS's anyways). I knew WU8 from reason here and I also took the code list from here and made a spreadsheet with everythin the car came factory with(trying to verify that it hasn't been modded/molested or anything).

It has the SLP lid and exhaust, but i suppose those couldve easily been added later on.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys. Like I said, just trying to look out for my best interest here so I figured it was worth asking since I personally haven't seen another SS with cloth interior.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

It's all very simple, WU8 on the RPO sticker = SS. No WU8, then it's not an SS. Nothing else matters in this regard.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only "SS" badging I got was one little metallic stick-on
that was in the glovebox. The owner might or might not elect
to attach it.

Plenty of cloning goes on.

The only valuable bits are the exhaust (if present, optional),
the Blackwing lid (ditto), springs/shocks (ditto), and hood.
The value of these is in incremental performance and can
be had aftermarket (and you generally could do better,
performance/price).

If you're buying "collectability", I think you're mistaken.
And I do own a real one.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

Exactly how my car came... RPO says WU8... Big deal....
Old 11-29-2010, 02:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
Not for me, but thanks as usual for your usual snide remarks and condesending attitude

Just thought it was odd thats all... I cant help to triple check on something that I'm gonna buy

No, I think he's just like me, and gets annoyed by people who can't/or don't want to search then ask retarded questions....
Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
The only "SS" badging I got was one little metallic stick-on
that was in the glovebox. The owner might or might not elect
to attach it.

Plenty of cloning goes on.

The only valuable bits are the exhaust (if present, optional),
the Blackwing lid (ditto), springs/shocks (ditto), and hood.
The value of these is in incremental performance and can
be had aftermarket (and you generally could do better,
performance/price).

If you're buying "collectability", I think you're mistaken.
And I do own a real one.
I'm not buying the car for collectability, it's just a good deal. Its an 01 M6 with 59,xxx miles that is apparently stock(other than pro 5.0 and TT2's). I figure tho if it wasn't a real SS I would get it for a better price at least.

Anyways, thanks guys
Old 11-29-2010, 03:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by desertLS1
No, I think he's just like me, and gets annoyed by people who can't/or don't want to search then ask retarded questions....
Ha. I did a search. Did lots of reading and have probably went through every sticky on the forums(multiple times on some). Nowhere have I seen an SS with non-leather seats, and although I have found stuff on the badging, it all seems to be different per car... I didn't know for sure if this meant that there were different options etc. Just trying to figure it all out and be sure.

I hope when u have questions people don't call them retarded or tell you to search. Obviously you have more knowledge on the subject than me, but im almost positive saying there is some shot in this world that you don't know and I hope that by the time you get out of high school you understand that the questionable material to knowledge factor is going to be a subjective ratio due to experience and background...

Since when has this place become the elite only forum? I've been on this forum since 05 or 06 I believe(under different name).

Excuse my ignorance all mighty tech god. I hope if you ever do stumble upon a question that needs answering that the people who respond try and help you properly, unlike many here...
Old 11-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen an SS with cloth seats.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by GIVE EM' THE BIRD
Ha. I did a search. Did lots of reading and have probably went through every sticky on the forums(multiple times on some). Nowhere have I seen an SS with non-leather seats, and although I have found stuff on the badging, it all seems to be different per car... I didn't know for sure if this meant that there were different options etc. Just trying to figure it all out and be sure.

I hope when u have questions people don't call them retarded or tell you to search. Obviously you have more knowledge on the subject than me, but im almost positive saying there is some shot in this world that you don't know and I hope that by the time you get out of high school you understand that the questionable material to knowledge factor is going to be a subjective ratio due to experience and background...

Since when has this place become the elite only forum? I've been on this forum since 05 or 06 I believe(under different name).

Excuse my ignorance all mighty tech god. I hope if you ever do stumble upon a question that needs answering that the people who respond try and help you properly, unlike many here...
A simple search would easily reveal that the "WU8" code on the RPO sticker is all you need, assuming the VIN on the sticker matches the VIN on the car. The reason why several people here get uptight about this type of question is because we've all answered it often enough to KNOW for a FACT that this answer can be found both in the FAQ sticky and by a simple site search.

Leather was only an option on SS, not standard. Either way, you should not use optional content to determine what is or is not a real SS (or even badging for that matter). The RPO and VIN is all you need.