General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Help! just found out I bought a lemon, what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help! just found out I bought a lemon, what can I do?

well sadly as the title says I just bought my 99 ws6 2 weeks ago. it was clean, low mileage and cheap. it had a few little problems but for the price I couldn't pass it up. I bought it from a fair sized dealership, and no where in the transaction or paperwork was I told about it being a buy back, and didn't know until I got the title in the mail yesterday and under the box that says primary brand it says manufacturer buy back. which after a google search turned up that it means it was a lemon and was bought back by GM. my questions are, do I have any legal recourse as to not being informed about this when buying the car? how much will it affect the value? how can I find out what the issue was that it was lemoned for? so far I have had no real issues with the car. oil pressure seems a little low at idle at temperature. and the temperature creeps up about the width of the needle above normal only when cruising on the highway or WOT bursts. stays normal around town and in traffic. could this be the issue it was lemoned for? help!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it too much since it is 12 YO I bet all the lemons have been worked out by now. I would give that dealer a piece of my mind for that shady **** though....
Old 02-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was most likely bought back while still under GM factory warranty. A buyback also needs to have the complaint fixed before it can be resold/auctioned. Chances are the car was bought back, fixed, and resold 10 years ago. I wouldn't stress about it, however it should have been disclosed.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

And a FYI the gauges on 99+ were dummy gauges so there really accurate. And I would call the dealer and if it bothers you that much try and get them to take it back. Because although its probable nothing if it bothers you that much you will probable never be happy with the car
Old 02-27-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if you like the car and think you got a fair deal then just keep it.

if youre not comfortable with it see if youre legally able to give it back.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by starz t/a 17
and a fyi the temp gauges on 99+ were dummy gauges so there really inaccurate. And i would call the dealer and if it bothers you that much try and get them to take it back. Because although its probable nothing if it bothers you that much you will probable never be happy with the car
fify.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

ok. I was wondering about how a car titled like that could get back into circulation. I mean so far I love the car, and have been fixing some little issues here and there. but when I saw that I about **** a brick. good to know it's not as big of a deal though. and btw on the cooling issue I beleive I found the source of that today. someone mixed green and red antifreeze, and the radiator fins were packed with grass and leaves and various garbage. I did a basic coolant flush and pulled the radiator away from the condensor and sprayed it out. anyways... because of the title status is there any affect on value of the car? I paid $5500 for it which was below book value, but was about right for the physical condition of the car. also is there a way I can look up why the car was bougth back? that is what I am most interested in
Old 02-27-2011, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by badhombre
ok. I was wondering about how a car titled like that could get back into circulation. I mean so far I love the car, and have been fixing some little issues here and there. but when I saw that I about **** a brick. good to know it's not as big of a deal though. and btw on the cooling issue I beleive I found the source of that today. someone mixed green and red antifreeze, and the radiator fins were packed with grass and leaves and various garbage. I did a basic coolant flush and pulled the radiator away from the condensor and sprayed it out. anyways... because of the title status is there any affect on value of the car? I paid $5500 for it which was below book value, but was about right for the physical condition of the car. also is there a way I can look up why the car was bougth back? that is what I am most interested in
IMO, it hurts the value of the car. I wouldn't view it as a rebuilt title, but I am sure if you try to sell it the next buyer will view that as a detail they can/will use to get the price down. How many miles are on the car, condition of paint, interior, etc.

Lets see some pictures.

I would personally bring it back and tell them you no longer want to the car because they didn't disclose the correct status of the title. I think they will try to give you some money to compensate if you will keep the car. I know for a fact they have to disclose if it is rebuilt, not sure about "lemon"

Still at $5500 for a "low mileage" 99 WS6 you can go wrong, unless it is completely ragged out.

Last edited by 1998flamedCamaro; 02-27-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i wouldnt really worry about the value of a car that old. my concern would be that its mechanically sound and safe to drive.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These cars are getting old buddy. Lemon or not 12 years ago, the car will need work today. If you like it, keep it.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

If you're that worried I would probably buy it from you for what you paid
That is a sweet deal!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you do a Carfax or Autocheck before you bought it ?

If you have the VIN, I can do an Autocheck.

Last edited by bearcatt; 02-27-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

The main problem is being able to enjoy the car. Can you?? I would be so mad and upset at the dealer that I could never enjoy my ride. Every time I would take the wheel it would bother me to no end that I was taken as a sucker. I would pursuit every legal avenue available to make the dealership take it back, including legal fees and all fees associated with the sale. It is just plain wrong what they did. If you feel you can get over the deception and enjoy the car, then keep it. $5,500 certainly isn't overpaying, even though it will be a tough re-sell some day down the road with a lemon title.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what a carfax would tell you. Was there a sticker on the drivers door jamb or door that had "manufacture buyback" on it, my friends 2003 cobra had that, but he knew it was a buy back before he got it, it did hurt him when he went to sell it but that was selling a newer car when it was worth a lot more.

Ryan
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Teching In

truth be known, you get what u pay for, i mean really 12 years old , 5500, wheter it was a buy back or not, if you liked it enough to buy it in the first place would you really not bought if if they did tell ya, really anything you buy used it could have issues, sounds like you enjoy it , so go out and enjoy
Old 02-28-2011, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC01TA
The main problem is being able to enjoy the car. Can you?? I would be so mad and upset at the dealer that I could never enjoy my ride. Every time I would take the wheel it would bother me to no end that I was taken as a sucker. I would pursuit every legal avenue available to make the dealership take it back, including legal fees and all fees associated with the sale. It is just plain wrong what they did. If you feel you can get over the deception and enjoy the car, then keep it. $5,500 certainly isn't overpaying, even though it will be a tough re-sell some day down the road with a lemon title.

^^^^This post is right on point. I had a similar situation with my LT1 - bought from an out of state dealer so I couldn't do a thorough check myself. I did all the checks I could do, CarFax, and hiring a "professional" inspector to check out the car. I later found out the car was in a wreck and the engine may not have been the stock motor. The dealer had to have known because they said they knew the previous owner - maybe that's why it didn't show up on Carfax. Between the optispark issues and the fact that little spots of red began to show through the silver paint on the wrecked replaced parts, it killed my feelings toward the car. When I traded it for my LS1, I was upfront about the issues, even though I knew I'd take a hit - I just guess my morals are a little too high.

My experience is that if you feel strongly about it now, the feeling probably isn't going to go away.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for all the input guys. I have always wanted a black ws6 since they came out and was so happy to finally be able to get one. I still love the car, so far it has been good to me. I mean, it had typical issues I would expect for a car it's age, minor stuff really. but overall the car is really clean. I can tell it has had front end work, the hood has been repainted because the clear is faded and shipping, and I can see where the ram air stickers were painted over. I can also see where the core support was straightened on the passenger side. everything lines up good, and the car drives straight, so the repair was done well. minus the paint quality used on the hood. here are a couple of pics

as you can see not bad for the price. engine bay is clean and unmolested. only mod is a magnaflow muffler. I never thought to look for a sticker, but I will do that.

bearcatt, I would greatly appreciate it if you could do that for me. I'll pm you the vin
Old 02-28-2011, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badhombre
thanks for all the input guys. I have always wanted a black ws6 since they came out and was so happy to finally be able to get one. I still love the car, so far it has been good to me. I mean, it had typical issues I would expect for a car it's age, minor stuff really. but overall the car is really clean. I can tell it has had front end work, the hood has been repainted because the clear is faded and shipping, and I can see where the ram air stickers were painted over. I can also see where the core support was straightened on the passenger side. everything lines up good, and the car drives straight, so the repair was done well. minus the paint quality used on the hood. here are a couple of pics

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...transam001.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...transam003.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...transam006.jpg

as you can see not bad for the price. engine bay is clean and unmolested. only mod is a magnaflow muffler. I never thought to look for a sticker, but I will do that.

bearcatt, I would greatly appreciate it if you could do that for me. I'll pm you the vin

badhombre pm replied,

The cars looks pretty clean overall, chances are they got all the bugs and problems worked out. You would've paid at least another 3K+ if it wasn't a GM buyback, especially from a dealer.

When you say the oil pressure seems a little low at idle at temperature, and the temperature creeps up about the width of the needle above normal only when cruising on the highway or WOT bursts. stays normal around town and in traffic.

How low and high do your at temp oil pressure go ?

The above is pretty normal as long as the temps aren't to low or to high.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

got it. thanks for running it for me. although it still doesn't say why it was bought back. unless I missed it somewhere in there? but still I do feel more comfortable with it. if it has been around this long now with that status then chances are whatever it was has been fixed.

as far as the oil pressure, at temperature after being run hard or after about an hour of driving it will drop down to just above 20 at idle, but when it comes up off idle it goes up to around 40. cold it idles around 40 and hangs around 60 when cruising. does this sound normal?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some reports provide more information than others. Sometimes Carfax can provide information that Autocheck doesn't provide. ( rarely ) What I found strange about your report was the redundancy of the same entries being repeated two and three times.

Your oil pressure seems about 20psi low on cold idle . At operating temp your idle and cruising speed seems about 20psi low.