General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Confirmed: GM Says Gen-V Small Block V-8 Will Have Direct-Injection Read more: http:

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 01:05 PM
LTX
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Confirmed: GM Says Gen-V Small Block V-8 Will Have Direct-Injection Read more: http:

At the same time the final fasteners were being torque down on the 100 millionth small-block Chevy V-8 – a 638-hp supercharged LS9 engine for the Corvette ZR1 – at the Performance Build Center in Wixom, Michigan, the automaker also announced a few details of the upcoming fifth-generation small-block engine.
The new engine will retain the original small-block’s 4.4-inch bore centers (first seen on the 265 cubic inch V-8 of 1955), but will gain direct-injection. GM says that direct-injection will work with a higher compression ratio and other technologies to “build on the architectural and technology legacy of previous generations with greater efficiency, performance and refinement.”
GM promises more power and less fuel consumption than comparably sized versions of the current Gen-IV engine family.
“The Gen-V small block is an all-new, state-of-the-art engine family that will offer more efficiency and refinement than any other small block in its more than half-century of production,” said Jordan Lee, chief engineer, in a press release. “For customers, that will mean cars and trucks that deliver more while using less gas to do it.”
There has been much speculation about what the new engines might bring to the table. Historically, new engine technologies debut in Chevrolet’s flagship Corvette and the next-generation ‘Vette and small-block engine are both expected to arrive before the end of 2012 as 2013 models. Some sources indicate that the current 5.3-liter and 6.2-liter displacements will remain. Others say the base engine in the all-new C7 Corvette will shrink to 5.5 liters, with horsepower climbing to 440 and a bump in fuel economy. Some have speculated a version of the new engine could be as small as 4.0-liters – if true, it would make it the smallest iteration of the small-block to date.
Share with us your thoughts and desires for displacements and configurations for the next-generation small-block Chevy V-8. What displacements would you like to see? How about horsepower and torque ratings? What compression ratios and rpms do you think are possible with direct-injection? Do you think GM will stick with pushrods and two-valves per cylinders? Or, to the horror of the small-block purists, are overhead camshafts and/or multiple valves possible? What kind of fuel economy do you think the new engine family will deliver?

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/confirmed-...#ixzz1jeKuXGjs
Old 01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More power and less gas? Sure hope so-who wouldn't want that?

I can't wait to see the C7!

I hope pushrods stick around, because I love how everyone hates them but GM makes awesome motors still using them. I am always a fan of sticking it to GM haters
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by V68Sweep
More power and less gas? Sure hope so-who wouldn't want that?

I can't wait to see the C7!

I hope pushrods stick around, because I love how everyone hates them but GM makes awesome motors still using them. I am always a fan of sticking it to GM haters

whats there to hate pushrods? hahaha i would hate to buy 4 camshafts everytime i wanted to cam my engine.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LTX
whats there to hate pushrods? hahaha i would hate to buy 4 camshafts everytime i wanted to cam my engine.
No kidding, a friend of mine is building a 4.6 DOHC for his 96 Mustang GT, $1000 - $1200 for cams....... I'll pass thanks.

Although, I'm wondering why GM would choose to re-use the Gen V name? It would be a first ever for their V8s (that I can think of) (Gen I - SBC, Gen II - LT1/4, Gen III - LS 24x, Gen IV - LS 58x, Mark IV, Gen V, VI, and VII - BBC). But then again, they've reused just about every RPO for the LS engines anyway.

Although, I'm curious as to how much power can be had from a DI version of a 6.2 with LS3 style heads and VVT....
Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is great news for power.

if they go OHC tho I'm not sure how I'm gonna read it.

GM has been tried n true with their OHV engines, that's what I love about GM.. small changes on existing models to constantly improve, rather than radically jumping around like a hyper-active child like some other brands tend to do.

if they DONT go OHC, maybe in a few years people will be doing gen V direct injection swaps in 4th gens.. could be interesting.

if they DO go OHC. I can't imagnie it'll fit in our cars will it?
Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
if they DO go OHC. I can't imagnie it'll fit in our cars will it?
Looking at the 4.6 PI SOHC in my 03 Crown Vic (wider than a 460 BBF), I couldn't imagine trying to squeeze one in a 4th gen. On the SN95 Mustangs, you cant see headers from the engine bay, and they didn't stuff half of the motor under the dash, lol.

Honestly, I'd like to see GM do a Big Block version of the LS (Gen VIII BBC?) (4.84 bore spacing, 9.8+ deck height, 60 mm+ cam bore, 320-360 cc symmetrical port heads, gerotor oil pump, .904 lifters, DI, and VVT).... But of course it's a dream that probably would never come to life.

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 01-16-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 AM
LTX
Launching!

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Looking at the 4.6 PI SOHC in my 03 Crown Vic (wider than a 460 BBF), I couldn't imagine trying to squeeze one in a 4th gen. On the SN95 Mustangs, you cant see headers from the engine bay, and they didn't stuff half of the motor under the dash, lol.

Honestly, I'd like to see GM do a Big Block version of the LS (Gen VIII BBC?) (4.84 bore spacing, 9.8+ deck height, 60 mm+ cam bore, 320-360 cc symmetrical port heads, gerotor oil pump, .904 lifters, DI, and VVT).... But of course it's a dream that probably would never come to life.
I guess you can say the LSX is both small block and big block able to pump up the CI to 500~ max.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep the PUSHRODS!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

+1 for rods
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

coming sooner than i had imagined...should be interesting...as long as it rapes the coyote with 3 less cams, I'll be happy.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Teching In

Bring back the 5.7!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Interesting...I agree with keeping it to one camshaft
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's going to be smaller bore, and they believe they are keeping it to 1 Cam/Direct Injected.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Heard they were playing with VVT with a OHV configuration like dodge did to the viper V10. Compression could be as high as 12:1. Seen it in other engines with DI.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Why is everyone so down on overhead cams? When ford came out with the coyote motors everyone on here gave them props, yet people here still say they want pushrods and old tech. IMO it's kind of disappointing that ford is able to match the power of an LS3 with a 5.0, the same can be said with the ls9 vs new gt500 motors.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

I thought this engine was to get the pushrod twin cam in block design. One above the other. Like the FORD Caliope engine back in the 60s. The 4.4 bore center is dismal. We have heads that can feed a 4.560 bore space block with a 4.300 bore and were staying with 60 year old design criteria. Hey GM, add the 1/2 inch to the block and let us have some fun. You did kill BB production so how about a comppromise.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
Why is everyone so down on overhead cams? When ford came out with the coyote motors everyone on here gave them props, yet people here still say they want pushrods and old tech. IMO it's kind of disappointing that ford is able to match the power of an LS3 with a 5.0, the same can be said with the ls9 vs new gt500 motors.
Are you kidding or being serious?
People were giving props for the Coyote engine because it was Fords first time they made a quick N/A production mustang (and arguably the first time in long time they made a competitive Mustang [not just in a strait line]).
Whats disappointing is someone that owns a Z06 trying to compare hp/l...
What else is disappointing is that fact that Fords Coyote is heavier, physically way bigger, more expensive, and makes less power than the LS3.
This is why GM has stuck with the pushrod engine for so long:

nissans VQ V6...

This is a 4L 1UZ V8, ha...

In both of these examples the physically smaller pushrod engine has more displacement than the OHC engine...
Our LSx's are physically the size and weight of many V6's on the market, yet make great power, get great gas mileage, and dirt cheap and we can build them in our own garage. Im waiting to see some real world downsides here...
Old 02-14-2012, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JD AMG hit the nail on the head. I agree 100% amen bro
Old 02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also pushrod isn't any "older" technology than overhead cams. Even if it was, newer isn't always better!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OHV 2v GM LSx motors are and have done very well with pushrods. There is no need for OHC setups. Ford had to design and create a motor with multiple intake and exhaust valves per cylinder to equal or surpass the gm lsx. If gm designed an induction of similar design. It would make for even more potent motors at the current displacements.
But there is no need, the complexity and design of the motor is not needed for production vehicles.
It only makes sense that a motor with heads bigger than a big block chevrolet, would warrant an excellent potent n/a engine. Ford finally got it right with this coyote motor.
All the ancestral mod motors of the coyote motor are seriously lacking in power even with multiple intake valves per cylinder in a naturally aspirated configuration.

Plus it just sucks to work on mod motors.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: GM Says Gen-V Small Block V-8 Will Have Direct-Injection Read more: http: