General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Bad cam bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad cam bearings

I recently acquired a 2004 suburban with a 6 liter ls engine. I fortunately made it home from purchasing it before it spun a cam bearing. To my delight it did not hurt the cam bearing bore. I measured it and it is still in spec. The engine has 144,000 miles on it and everything looks great in it from the bores to the rest of the bearings. All of the cam bearings were shot with copper showing. Has anyone else seen one of these engines chew up cam bearings with no other signs that would lead you to believe that it had suffered from loss of oil. Another thing that is worth noting is the engine had all gm bearings in it and does not appear to have been removed in the recent past and the oil holes in the cam bearings that are still in the engine are correctly aligned. The cam was also stock, but wont be long.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

When I did heads and cam in my 98 ls1, 160k cam bearings were toast rest looked good
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

I bought an 04 6.0 with supposedly 64k miles on it. It had a spun cam bearing on the 3rd bearing bore. Had a reputable local machinist mic the bores and everything was in spec. The rest of the engine looked fine other than the rod and main bearing were showing the copper due to lack of oil after the cam bearing spun. He replaced the cam bearings along with a new crank kit and rings and the motor has been running for a year now. So far so good!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM

I have noticed a lot of the spun cam bearings are #3. I would sure like to find the root cause. Has anyone had trouble when using aftermarket bearings. I purchased the durabond coated bearings. Maybe the stock bearings are junk.

Quick Reply: Bad cam bearings