General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Throttle body question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle body question

I just bought a 2000 T/A two weeks ago. I've been doing some basic maintenance to it, but when I came to clean the MAF and TB, I noticed that the TB plate had two "mysterious" looking screws:

I've shearched for stock TB images and none of them have these screws. They only have a small hole in the lower portion of the plate, I removed the lower screw on mine and this is how it looks like:

I tried running it without the lower screw but it idles too high. So I had to put it back on.

Anyone know what's up with that? The car runs and idles just fine with the screws on, but they don't seem to belong there.

thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

They dont belong there the lower hole is in the stock location but appears to be enlarged the upper screw is completely wrong some past owner was probably trying to change idle speed look on ebay or a junk yard for a used one
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Teching In

ok thanks, that's what I thought so. I guess someone got "creative" with that thing. I'll order a ported TB off ebay then.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone messed with that throttle body and drilled an extra hole, as well as enlarged the bottom one. Though I do not know much about this a quick search showed that people do this to help lower idle speeds for large cams? Does/did this car have a cam in it at one point?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:35 PM
Teching In

I'm almost sure it never had a cam. It looks 100% stock end to end. It only had one owner until now. The only "mods" I've seen are the speakers, it looks like it used to have an aftermarket amp wired to it and the car also came with 20" wheels. But the engine has stock everything.... well except for those holes in the TB.

My guess is that they messed with it as proposed above in an attempt to change the idle speed, but my theory is because they couldn't find a vacuum leak. one of the lines was sealed with electrical tape and the rear PCV line was completelly cut. I bet it wasn't idling right because something like that and they decided to mess with the TB blade lol.