General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

is a 98 exhaust manifold compatible w/ an 02 manifold/exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is a 98 exhaust manifold compatible w/ an 02 manifold/exhaust system?

I have a 2002 Camaro that I purchased some turbo plumbing for. The passenger side of the plumbing connects to "a factory LS1 fbody exhaust manifold". I no longer have my factory manifolds and will have to buy one for the passenger side. Before I do, I wanted to know if the overall geometry of the manifold changed over the years because if so, it might affect what I need for this plumbing. I've seen pictures of the 2 manifolds side by side, and there are slight shape differences, but I couldn't tell if the flange would be in a different spot between the two types. Would you be able to pop a 98 manifold in place of a 2002 and connect it to the same factory Y pipe with no fitment issues?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

00-02 Y will not bolt up to 98-99 manifolds from what I understand. I believe the passenger side 98-99 manifold exit is in a different location than the 00-02, and there might be one or two other differences that I can't think of, but it is said that it will definitely not work. However, 00-02 would be interchangeable and 98-99 would be interchangeable. I just recently found out about this from a thread I read on the topic a while back.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I purchased some turbo plumbing that uses a factory exhaust manifold on the passenger side. I have been unable to get an answer from the seller regarding what year manifold it was fabricated with. I need to purchase a manifold since I no longer have mine, and obviously want to make sure the one I buy fits.