General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

stock exhaust on my 98 z removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock exhaust on my 98 z removal

Well I just ordered my slp lm1 on friday cant wait to get it. anyway I was looking under the car and was thinking i will have to cut the pipe that goes over the rear end to get it out. or if I jack it up and let the suspension drop can I maneuver the exhaust out without cutting. I would like to keep the stock exhaust just in case I put it back to original. car only has 20,000 miles on it.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just pulled my stock exhaust last week to install a Magnaflow.

It took WAY longer to get the old one out than the new one in. I needed an angle grinder and a sawzall to do it.

The band clamp where the I pipe connects to the Y - You'll need to cut that. Mine as corroded beyond recognition, so I knew there'd be no unbolting it. On further inspection though, it looks like it was actually welded closed anyway. I started with the sawzall, then realized that would take way too long. So I got the angle grinder and just ground a line through the band clamp then pried it away from the pipe to loosen it.

As far as getting the rest out intact, it looks like you'd have to remove a lot of other parts. I think you'd have to pull the (edit: meant PASSENGER's side) wheel, shock, coil spring, and unbolt the panhard bar o nthat side, then remove the brace. Then you *might* be able to slide it out the side.

I was thinkign the same as you - trying to minimize cuts as to possibly save it. Well I cut it where it bends over the axle as high up as I could while making a straight cut, but with the car jacked up as high as I could safely get it and the rear axle hanging, there was no way I was getting the muffler, tailpipes and over axle pipe out as 1. I just couldn't tilt the whole thing down far enough to rotate the cut pipe over the axle. So, figuring I was planning on doing it anyway, I cut the Formula exhaust tips off thinking that would give me enough room. SO close! But not quite. So I got sick of messing with it and cut the pipe where it goes into the muffler. That did the trick, but now the exhaust is in 3 pieces.

In retrospect I think I should have cut the I pipe up farther, or maybe even on the BACK side of the axle.

Now if you're doing it on a lift, or have super tall jackstands, you won't have a probelm with just the 1 cut in the I Pipe before it bends over the axle.

(My reason for making the straight cut was that I was thinking I could reinstall it with a wide band clamp holding the two pieces together)

Last edited by StuntmanMike; 05-16-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just cut the stock crap off and if you sell the car then F it, sell it with the upgraded exhaust. My car had 19k miles on it last year and I sawed off that stock exhaust because it's not worth the effort in keeping it intact.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

hopefully I only have to make one cut we will see what happens
Old 05-15-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i only made one cut. i wouldnt worry about saving the stock exhaust.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

One cut here as well, just behind the axle. +1 for scrapping stock exhaust.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
One cut here as well, just behind the axle. +1 for scrapping stock exhaust.
well got it off and new on! I had to make to cuts cuz i had to use a grinder couldnt get hold of a saw. Only took me an hour to get old out and new on. Sounds hell of a lot better now
Old 05-15-2012, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

need to do a y pipe next What would a good one be that goes to the stock manifolds
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i dont make a single cut to remove the stock exhaust or install new ones.
just lower the suspension,remove the tire and raise the car. can manuever the exhaust out without cutting. its worth more if its intact.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

now the pipe over the axle is slightly rubbing on the panhard bar. Its got a slight rattle should i move the whole thing back from the y pipe

Quick Reply: stock exhaust on my 98 z removal