LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General LSX Automobile Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion-118/)
-   -   Improving milage? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/1646591-improving-milage.html)

Chaise95 05-12-2013 07:21 PM

Improving milage?

I got a 2002 camaro ss and I just did my first
Mpg check and I got 16.7. Is there any way
To get that up or am I stuck with it haha?

sawblade99Z 05-12-2013 07:57 PM

Welcome to the forum! Bolt-ons generally increase mileage when driven conservatively. Internals, stalls, etc....not so much lol. My 99 Z28 A4/2.73 is just a high mile lid/catback car. It gets 30-32 mpg on the hwy and averages 26-27 mpg once my city mileage/beating on it is factored in. That's even a little on the high end from what I've seen on here. If you're stock or near stock like me, lightening your right foot will be the best thing you can do. But to answer your question better you need to give a little more info. Mods, gear, where you drive most, and the like.

Chaise95 05-12-2013 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z (Post 17394383)
Welcome to the forum! Bolt-ons generally increase mileage when driven conservatively. Internals, stalls, etc....not so much lol. My 99 Z28 A4/2.73 is just a high mile lid/catback car. It gets 30-32 mpg on the hwy and averages 26-27 mpg once my city mileage/beating on it is factored in. That's even a little on the high end from what I've seen on here. If you're stock or near stock like me, lightening your right foot will be the best thing you can do. But to answer your question better you need to give a little more info. Mods, gear, where you drive most, and the like.

I just bought the car. I think it's mostly stock
Just the slp exhaust. It's got 83000 miles

Blackpanther99 05-12-2013 08:05 PM

Is it bonestock? Shifting at low RPMS, tire pressure, clean air filter, clean oil and many others are big factors. I keep my tire pressure at 28-30psi.

Just seen its bonestock.

sawblade99Z 05-12-2013 08:19 PM

I remember checking the mileage on my first tank of gas after buying the car LOL talk about disheartening. Don't worry too much. After the new wears off you'll be a little easier on it and the mileage should go up quite a bit. 6-speeds get a couple mpgs better than the autos if driven right...I'm sure you know this. Since you have an SS, you'll either have a 3.42 gear if its a manual, or 3.23 if its an auto. I drive 90% hwy/10% city, so that has a lot to do with my mpg. I think you should expect 13-17 city and 25-30 hwy, depending on the transmission and how hard you are on it. Anyway, drive it for a week or two, try to keep your foot out of it, then report back on what you're getting. In the meantime, do a tuneup. Oil, air filter, clean the MAF, replace the fuel filter, and at least check your plugs. I promise it has everything to do with your driving habits though. Good luck.

Edit: And yeah, like blackpanther99 said, tire pressure is a big one too. I normally keep mine around 32 psi.

black_phoenix 05-12-2013 08:58 PM

Stay stock and perform maintenance on the car. Also, drive conservatively

Blackpanther99 05-12-2013 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z (Post 17394445)
I remember checking the mileage on my first tank of gas after buying the car LOL talk about disheartening. Don't worry too much. After the new wears off you'll be a little easier on it and the mileage should go up quite a bit. 6-speeds get a couple mpgs better than the autos if driven right...I'm sure you know this. Since you have an SS, you'll either have a 3.42 gear if its a manual, or 3.23 if its an auto. I drive 90% hwy/10% city, so that has a lot to do with my mpg. I think you should expect 13-17 city and 25-30 hwy, depending on the transmission and how hard you are on it. Anyway, drive it for a week or two, try to keep your foot out of it, then report back on what you're getting. In the meantime, do a tuneup. Oil, air filter, clean the MAF, replace the fuel filter, and at least check your plugs. I promise it has everything to do with your driving habits though. Good luck.

Edit: And yeah, like blackpanther99 said, tire pressure is a big one too. I normally keep mine around 32 psi.

Took the words out of my mouth LOL! Agreed with you.

OP: if you have a M6 I would keep my shift points under 2k RPM. Thats a good thing about a M6 :) If you have a A4 then a professional tuner can also help you gain better MPG.

Chief762x39 05-13-2013 12:51 AM

What's the best place to get a tune to improve gas mileage if you have a mostly stock A4? Will a tune alone improve it that much?

Sierra Speed Shop 05-13-2013 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chief762x39 (Post 17395097)
What's the best place to get a tune to improve gas mileage if you have a mostly stock A4? Will a tune alone improve it that much?

As other stated before, driving like a civic owner makes a huge difference... but like most people, that's hard to do in these cars. :)

As far as the tune goes, it really depends on location. Luckily, there are regional sections at the bottom of the forum here where you can find preferred vendors who are here to tune your car.

The best advice I have with selecting a tuner, is make sure you talk to all of the tuners in your area, and go with the one that you are most comfortable with. Obviously I highly suggest a sponsor of this forum, as sponsors like myself take the time to offer as much as possible for LSX powered vehicles.

Getting a good tune will improve your average MPG, under the same driving conditions of course!

Thanks,
Kyle
Sierra Speed Shop

Blackpanther99 05-13-2013 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra Speed Shop (Post 17395398)
As other stated before, driving like a civic owner makes a huge difference... but like most people, that's hard to do in these cars. :)

As far as the tune goes, it really depends on location. Luckily, there are regional sections at the bottom of the forum here where you can find preferred vendors who are here to tune your car.

The best advice I have with selecting a tuner, is make sure you talk to all of the tuners in your area, and go with the one that you are most comfortable with. Obviously I highly suggest a sponsor of this forum, as sponsors like myself take the time to offer as much as possible for LSX powered vehicles.

Getting a good tune will improve your average MPG, under the same driving conditions of course!

Thanks,
Kyle
Sierra Speed Shop

Agreed with Kyle. Check in with your local tuners, LS1 Tech sponsors or you can get a mail order tune also from Frost Tune.

RPM WS6 05-14-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chaise95 (Post 17394290)
I got a 2002 camaro ss and I just did my first
Mpg check and I got 16.7. Is there any way
To get that up or am I stuck with it haha?

That sounds about right for an A4 SS (3.23) car with city usage, typical driving style, and E10 fuel. You could do all the MPG improving tricks in the book and only gain marginal amounts of MPG in most cases - unless the car is in a poor state of maintenance to begin with. If that was highway MPG though, then you could stand to gain quite a bit by addressing the various things that might be causing lower numbers.

USMC5811 05-14-2013 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by black_phoenix (Post 17394550)
Stay stock and perform maintenance on the car. Also, drive conservatively

wheres the fun in that?! :-D

ULTIMATEORANGESS 05-14-2013 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by USMC5811 (Post 17399934)
wheres the fun in that?! :-D

exactly. yes of course maintain and take care of your car but also drive it like it should be driven.

eteller 05-21-2013 01:44 PM

I came out of living with a Scion XB for five years (divorce) when I got my 2000 T/A A4 with 54k mi. I was shocked that I only get about 15mpg. I tried to drive like a hypermiler Prius earth biscuit for a tank to see if there was an improvement. I made it through about half the tank and said f@ck it I didn't by this thing to save gas. It seems no matter what I do I get a constant 15 mpg so I drive it like I want too.

bmwman528e 06-06-2013 11:14 PM

My 2000 BMW 540i with a stock LS1/T56 combo only got 20mpg on the freeway but it did have an awful 2.82 gear.

BobDoLe 06-07-2013 05:47 PM

go to ecomodder.com and maybe those guys in the forum can help you out.

a few years ago i tried to get better gas mileage and i got 21.43mpg out of a 99 SS auto (with just lid, catback and a tune i think).
when i got the stall i lost about 4mpg.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/fe-graphs/sig632a.png
http://ecomodder.com/forum/fe-graphs/graph632.gif