General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Need help for the perfect exhaust note

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help for the perfect exhaust note

So i just paid off my 02 gs430. And a lot of memebers on the lex forum have been doing ls1 swaps for there gs and is's. since my car is paid off and running up quite close to 200k i was concidering buying a newer and faster car for a reliable daily driver. After some research iv decided that i would be saving money if i were to do the swap with a new or slightly used ls engine. So im sure im going to go this route in a couple of months. The question is i heard a pontic g8 with the best sounding exhaust iv ever heard in my life and im dying to get my car to sound like that. and i found a exhaust video that sounds really similair if not exactly how it sounded and was wondering if u guys have any clue what type of exhaust it is. The video says kooks headers and corsa but i dont know what engine its on or what type or corsa exhaust it is or what type of kooks headers it is.

Also what usually last longer the engine or transmission? Just so i know what i should concider buying used if the right deal comes up
Old 12-13-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That gto will sound different than what your car with an ls swap would sound like because the way the exhausts are. Here's a good example, the ls1 fbody has the same motor as the ls1 c5 vette (non z06) and the exhaust note is not the same due to how the exhaust is routed.

All LS motors sound very good but some better than others on different cars. I personally love the sound the GTO due to the true dual exhaust design.

To answer your question, the motors will last longer than the transmissions.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Aghh not what i wanted to hear lol yeah i was also thinkin that. Thanks for the confirmation. Someone also told me headers might not even fit under there in that area. Im sure i could get a similar sound tho if i add y,x pipes and try fit headers under there. I just really wanna know what gives some cars with these ls engine more of a scream then a growl. I have a 13k budget lol. I know the sound will never be the same but could i get something similar?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsxgs430
Aghh not what i wanted to hear lol yeah i was also thinkin that. Thanks for the confirmation. Someone also told me headers might not even fit under there in that area. Im sure i could get a similar sound tho if i add y,x pipes and try fit headers under there. I just really wanna know what gives some cars with these ls engine more of a scream then a growl. I have a 13k budget lol. I know the sound will never be the same but could i get something similar?
You can get a similar sound, may be expensive though.
Its the typical sound that LT headers(any brand really), no cats, and Corsa exhaust (most of their mufflers for LSx's sound very similar, for every make) makes on LSx engines, its higher pitched, exotic like, and can be raspy.
Youtube search "Corsa exhaust LS1".

One with cats for comparison:

A cheap alternative may be a bullet muffler or no muffler at all, but it will be raspy and unrefined.
http://www.streetfire.net/video/trans-am-ws6-with-pacesetter-longtubes-tsp-ory-a_31669.htm
There are lot of options out there, get on youtube and search for the favorite sound and try and go with a similar setup, if you don't understand the setup ask here.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:09 PM

^^^ okay i did exactly what u said, i looked up videos. Exotic was the word i was looking for! This corvette is exactly the sound i want, its real high pitched. The setup says headers and cutouts but doesnt state where the cutouts were placed or if the headers are long tubes.. Do they sound like long tubes? Iv been doing searching and im starting to doubt my budget will be enough. What im looking for is a reliable 400rwhp car. What would be best to acheive that? Only mods i plan on doing is a full exhaust, intake, fine tune and possibly a mild cam. Iv been looking at some ls3's but it seems like they are hard to find under 6k even used. I will be selling my engine and tranny out of my gs430 and i think i should at least get 4k for both since its a newer 3uz engine and not the older 1uzfe. So i need your guys's input.

Btw this forum is awsome, you guys are nice and very very helpfull. To much clashing in the lexus forums
Old 12-14-2013, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lsxgs430
^^^ okay i did exactly what u said, i looked up videos. Exotic was the word i was looking for! This corvette is exactly the sound i want, its real high pitched. The setup says headers and cutouts but doesnt state where the cutouts were placed or if the headers are long tubes.. Do they sound like long tubes?
Yeah the description is really vague. I'd assume they are LT headers because very few people do shorty headers (minor power gain for the pain in the *** install vs huge power gain with LT headers).
As for the cutouts Id assume its the stock exhaust flap mod. C6 Z06s have buterfly exhaust flaps that open up when you go WOT, bypassing the muffler. Theres a mod you can buy that allows you to basically turn it into an adjustable cutout, pretty popular mod.
This car also has quite the choppy cam as well which will certainly contribute to how quickly it revs up and the higher pitched sound.

Iv been doing searching and im starting to doubt my budget will be enough. What im looking for is a reliable 400rwhp car. What would be best to acheive that? Only mods i plan on doing is a full exhaust, intake, fine tune and possibly a mild cam.
reliable 400rwhp is cake. The setup you are planning sounds right. You can buy an LS1 for cheap, and get a little more aggressive of a cam (like an MS3 cam) and hit 400RWHP. For the exotic sound I would use an x-pipe and try and route the exhaust as strait and even as possible (like a vette). Out the back with bullet mufflers, and you may just have to experiment with trail and error unfortunately to get the right muffler setup to get exactly what you want.

Btw this forum is awsome, you guys are nice and very very helpfull. To much clashing in the lexus forums
Sounds like the typical import site, bunch of kids with big heads who know very little about cars... Welcome to the truly fast side of things.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hey have you taken a look at other lexus LSx swaps?
I searched youtube and found some great sounding ones:
http://au.lexusownersclub.com/forums...1-lexus-is200/
Old 12-15-2013, 05:22 PM

Ahh lol im loving these videos. That green IS sounds really nice! And i saw that silver ones build thread lol. Now im thinking of getting an ls1, i read somewhere that u can build one cheap yourself if u get the block from a junk yard or something. Not sure how it works im not to experienced with building engines but it sounds like it would be alot more easy on my pocket. Still leanin towards the ls3 tho cause i feel it would be able to achive 400rwhp without to much work.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:28 PM

I like this one!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:20 PM

So guess the real question is what should i pay for a used or lightly used ls3? Whats trans should i mate it with? And what should i pay for that. Im thinking NEW transmission.
Old 12-20-2013, 01:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havean 06 GTO with PRC 2.5, kooks, comp cams v3 with borla XR-1 3" exhaust. It sounds great and runs pretty good with those bolt on's.
I get good comments on how it sounds most places I go.

Quick Reply: Need help for the perfect exhaust note