General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LS1 Gone, Hole in the side of the Block

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 Gone, Hole in the side of the Block

2002 Trans am WS6 M6 167,XXX miles. Mods listed in Sig.

Well, after figuring out I have a bad throw-out bearing and not something internal of the transmission. I wasn't scare to be a little more aggressive driving. Other then doing just a few pulls thur 1st and 2nd, always shifting in the yellow on the rpm gauge. I usually baby the car. I have owned the car for about 2 months now. I have put about 4,000 miles on it. Since I havn't spin the tires yet on the car. I get on a country road yesterday. Rev to about 1000ish, floor it, and barely spins. Drive a little further, rev to about 1500ish and gets pretty sideways. Each time letting off before shifting into 2nd gear and drive off. Somehow my wife in her truck gets behind me driving home. So before turning onto our road. I stop, rev to about 2500ish, floor it, and almost instant white smoke and vibrations and engine dies. Wife tows me home. I have a hole in the side of the block and took part of the Oil pan out between Cylinder #5 and #7.

Before towing the car home. I walked the oil trail on the road. And at the spot I stopped to show out in front of my wife. I had an ant trail of oil following me as far has I keep see. So something happen between the 2nd and last tire spin. Leaking some oil.

Im really speechless on why. Other then the previous owner a tune on it. And Im leaning to something bad with the tune. I know around 2500 rpm the engine changes tone and feels like it gains 50hp. IDK.... But now, I'm having to fix my beater car. And wait then I figure out whats next. Really debating on going with a 6.0. But I do have a deal on a LS1 for $1800 with 6 months of warranty.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It had 167k miles and you're wondering why it broke?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
It had 167k miles and you're wondering why it broke?
Mine had over 200K and saw pretty regular spirited driving. Hell, I took the v/c's off the other week and it was pretty damn clean for over 200k.

My guess is someone really beat the hell out of it, and probably poor maintance and sold it when they knew it was on the last leg. And of course, once you got comfortable knowing the TOB was bad you beat on it and **** blew.
Old 01-19-2014, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

You may look into tms they have engines with warranty http://www.thompsonmotorsports.net/i...kddcrqujmqmsb6
Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend and I crawl under the WS6, a connecting rod is broke in half. Gonna wait till my tax refund too get a LS1...I got a 455 for my cutlass today. A lot cheaper to get going vs the WS6.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Launching!

Get an LS1 for $1800 with a warranty..save for a build if you want and acquire all the parts. Yank and sell the LS1 when you have it all, then swap in the new build in a few weekends.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
11 Second Club

I had mine for a year.. From bone stock to bolt ons to cammed up, it lasted until one day it just threw two rods. I decided to get a LS3 crate engine, and once you go cammed you don't go back, with a hot cam in it that comes from GM. If I had to do it all over again id do a 5.3 turbo build

Quick Reply: LS1 Gone, Hole in the side of the Block