General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Does anyone have their car wrapped or Plasti Dipped?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 07:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Does anyone have their car wrapped or Plasti Dipped?

When the time and money comes, I was thinking of wrapping or Plasti Dipping my 01 WS6 Vert. I will be opting for the Murdered Out look, and I think one of these options would be better than painting it, since your can't really wash or detail Flat Black paint. If a bird ***** on it or something gets on it, you're... or at least the paint, is screwed.

Has anyone done this?
What do you think of it?
Any pics?
How is it holding up?
Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RONIN LSX
When the time and money comes, I was thinking of wrapping or Plasti Dipping my 01 WS6 Vert. I will be opting for the Murdered Out look, and I think one of these options would be better than painting it, since your can't really wash or detail Flat Black paint. If a bird ***** on it or something gets on it, you're... or at least the paint, is screwed.

Has anyone done this?
What do you think of it?
Any pics?
How is it holding up?
I would go with a flat or satin black vinyl. By the time you get everything you need to do a whole car in plastidip, you're a good chunk away towards having the wrap done. Not to mention the vinyl will last at least 3-4 years and you might get one very easy going year out of the dip.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by justin455
I would go with a flat or satin black vinyl. By the time you get everything you need to do a whole car in plastidip, you're a good chunk away towards having the wrap done. Not to mention the vinyl will last at least 3-4 years and you might get one very easy going year out of the dip.
I've got to disagree. I've seen several videos on youtube of cars 2-3 years after they've been dipped and they're holding up good. There are also a lot of videos of people going to drive threw car washes, hand washing, and pressure washing there cars. A 4 gallon kit with sprayer and respirator is $415 and then could respray it for much less anytime after that. My quick google search says it would probably be $2k or more to wrap a car.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ask in the https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work-128/ section, Ive seen a few wrapped cars and a few plastidipped cars on here.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fry_
My quick google search says it would probably be $2k or more to wrap a car.
I recently did some google searching for a guy at work that bought a 50 ford truck in ratty looking gray primer and searched diy vinyl wrap and one of the threads in an audi forum the guy had bought a roll of satin 3m wrap for $500 and it did his whole car
Old 04-06-2014, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I am swaying in on the DIP side! LIke FRY said, the initial investment is a bit high, but when you go to reshoot it, you just pay for the DIP paint. Plus you can use a Wagner Paint Gun and I found a few DAMN CHEAP!

With the VINYL, you have to have the edges sealed, and care is more difficult that the DIP. With the DIP, if you get a rip, or your car gets key, it's an easy process to fix, but with the VINYL, you need to recover that entire panel.

Once that DIP is laid, NOTHING is going to take it off, unless you WANT IT OFF. I keep reading that VINYL lifts and bubbles if the edges are not sealed well.

Plus the DIP is a HELL of a lot easier to apply!

Yeah, I think I prefer my women in VINYL and my cars in DIP
Old 04-06-2014, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Watching the vids, you really need to be a PRO at wrapping around corners and hiding lines. That's where the $2K comes in. I can't imagine wrapping out front bumper or HELL... even our door mirrors. **** THAT! I just rather spray
Old 04-06-2014, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would wrap it. Plastidip just seems cheap to me and what ricers do. If you wrap the car yourself, it wouldn't cost a whole lot. I've heard it is time consuming, but can be done with some patience.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

RICER.... Seriously?! So wrapping your car with VINYL is Okay, but painting your car with rubber, is RICE!? It's the SAME difference! This "RICE" B.S. is getting out of hand!

They are DIPPING $100K cars as well!

DIP is easier to put on, just as durable, if not more, easier to work with, in the even of a rip, and lasts for years. Yeah, I'll be there having a BIG BOWL of RICE
Old 04-06-2014, 06:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Painting your car with something that looks like rubber and feels like it is ricer to me. Wraps can be made to look like high gloss paint. There are many more high end cars being wrapped than Plastidip'd and here is a reason why. But, to each his own. OP wanted opinions and I gave him mine.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I would wrap it. Plastidip just seems cheap to me and what ricers do. If you wrap the car yourself, it wouldn't cost a whole lot. I've heard it is time consuming, but can be done with some patience.
Lol right? It is cheap, I looked into both options myself and I am about to order plastidip supplies. 3M automotive grade vinyl (might as well do it right) And it would cost me 475$ for everything to dip my car, For ONLY Vinyl wrap from 3M (250sq/ft) its going to cost me 950$ alone for wrap and that is not making any mistakes.

Cost alone is enough of a permanent decision to a temporary finish on my car. Not to mention removing the wrap may damage the undercoat or leave residue that could be more time consuming and a pain.

I intend to paint my car soon but not quite yet as I have other things I could spend my money on. Im a DIY guy and would paint the car myself and when paint supplies alone would cost me 800-1200 alone it makes sense to cut the corner, save the money, time and ability to remove.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had priced out some wrap about six months ago and found some for cheaper than that, but if you are going to laint your car down the road, then I can see why you are going the dipping route.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as it looks good, in the end, that's all that matters. I don't think the everyday DIY'er will be efficient enough to lay VINYL, but the DIPP is a no brainer.

And yes, I respect your opinion, but like I said, "RICE" is being a bit over used!
Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my roommate has some parts dipped on his car, not the whole thing, just wheels, grills, emblems and a few trim parts. It does not last. He spent a pretty fair amount doing it last year, and a year later its peeling, I could have gotten a more durable finish out of good rattle cans..
Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ehhh... you're going to hear good and bad about everything and with the DIP, I've heard more good than bad and have seen more good vids than bad. Will it turn out a wreck, I'll let you know
Old 04-06-2014, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that plasti dip does not last. My 65 Cadillac has plasti dipped parts while my Ferrari was completely wrapped and my formula boat is also wrapped. It's even wrapped below the water line and it stays in over the summer at my slip with very little peeling after pulling out of water past two years.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK now tell me what about this looks like rice.

I know its a Range Rover I was just to lazy to look for a cooler car.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fry_
OK now tell me what about this looks like rice.

I know its a Range Rover I was just to lazy to look for a cooler car.
HA!

A Rover, but none the less, a great example on how good DIP can look!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Again, can look nice when done right, but I dont think applying this stuff is idiot proof. I'm sure there is a learning curve.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Again, can look nice when done right, but I dont think applying this stuff is idiot proof. I'm sure there is a learning curve.
I agree... with anything new, there is. But I've also no doubt that it's HELL'A easier than a noob wrapping their car and less costly when making noob mistakes.... and less forgiving.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have their car wrapped or Plasti Dipped?