General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Mail order (PCM) tune vs dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mail order (PCM) tune vs dyno tune?

Hi,

Which tune would you recommend? I'd think the dyno, since the tuner is actually working with the car itself and not just the pcm, but I could be wrong.. I 'd think you get more gains from a dyno tune as well for the fact of being able to test the car over and over on it?

-Adam
Old 12-15-2014, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It all depends on what kind of mods you have or are planning on getting. A bolt on car can easily be done mail order, but when you start digging into the motor, then a dyno is the best way to go.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

For the same reason that two identical, stock cars won't perform exactly the same even with the same driver on the same day at the same track, you can't expect a mail order tune to ever be quite as good as a full dyno tune that is specific to your exact car/setup.

Having said that, for a basic or common setup, most experienced tuners can do a really good job with a mail order tune. So if there is nothing extreme or unique about your application, then mail order might be a more cost effective option while only leaving marginal amounts (if even that) of power on the table. If you need driveability tuning for a more aggressive setup though, IMO there is no substitute for a live, in person street and dyno tune.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Teching In

I have a mail order tune at the moment with a cam/bolt on car, and I have no complaints. However even being still somewhat new to the LSx family, I know from past experience not much can beat a good dyno tune..actually, nothing can. Since my initial tune for the cam I have added a 102/102 setup and a couple other minor things, the car still runs great, but is rich as most MOT's will be for safety, cause as stated not all cars are the same. I will be sending it out again soon to get the tune updated, but once I get the chance to toss my new heads on, dyno only time from there on. I have the MOT only so I can continue to drive the car, but it is lacking some of the untapped potential from a dyno.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

dyno tune is the only way id go.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, guys. I mean, I have a mail order tune on my trailblazer and it's great, but was thinking on going dyno with the camaro, but it is 2x as much for the dyno compared to a mail order tune. As you have confirmed it seems as though you will get the most out of a tune in person, on a dyno.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

But, I am only going to have bolt-ons on the car, which it sounds like mail order is just fine for that.. hmmmmmmmm ..
Old 12-16-2014, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Swens651
But, I am only going to have bolt-ons on the car, which it sounds like mail order is just fine for that.. hmmmmmmmm ..
If it's just basic bolt-ons, you'll be fine with a mail order tune. I doubt the extra couple hundred dollars would really justify the minimal gains you might make with doing one in person on a dyno. My mail order tune from Frost has been great and I have had no issues with it.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TechCam97
If it's just basic bolt-ons, you'll be fine with a mail order tune. I doubt the extra couple hundred dollars would really justify the minimal gains you might make with doing one in person on a dyno. My mail order tune from Frost has been great and I have had no issues with it.
Yeah, I've heard about that Frost tune a few times on here. pretty highly recommended, right?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, I've heard about that Frost tune a few times on here. pretty highly recommended, right?
Yea, Steve knows his stuff! I've used him and a lot of my friends have as well and he's taken care of us.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a mail order tune from frost after I did my cam swap so I could get it to the dyno. Imo a mail order would be fine for bolt on car but anything more than that should be dyno tuned.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Is it good to break the new parts in on factory tune before putting a more aggressive tune on it? I only am going to get LT'S, lid, and full exhaust.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Is it good to break the new parts in on factory tune before putting a more aggressive tune on it? I only am going to get LT'S, lid, and full exhaust.
There is no "break in" period for exhaust/induction pieces such as this, and no advantage to using the factory tune if the modifications have caused a less-than-ideal A/F ratio (typical with LT headers on a stock tune).
Old 12-17-2014, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
There is no "break in" period for exhaust/induction pieces such as this, and no advantage to using the factory tune if the modifications have caused a less-than-ideal A/F ratio (typical with LT headers on a stock tune).
Thanks!
Old 12-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

When I had the cam installed, dyno was the only way to go.

Quick Reply: Mail order (PCM) tune vs dyno tune?