General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

SS vs Z28

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
This is our disconnect then, it's honestly been the opposite for me. When I bought my first Z28 new, the SS was ~$3k more to start (as you mentioned) just for the base package that didn't perform any better than a Z28. I didn't really care about the hood or spoiler either way, so it just didn't make sense to pay for the SS (I did like the wheels better, but those alone were much cheaper than the cost of the SS package.)

In the years since, every time I've been shopping for another 4th gen on the used market, the SS cars are *always* more expensive, all else (mileage/condition) being equal. If they were the same price, sure, I agree, it wouldn't matter to me either way, but this has never been the case in my experience. I just hate to pay more for a hood, spoiler and badges that I feel indifferent towards....
My experience as well. The SS almost always brings a premium to a similar condition Z28....except in those situations where a seller is clueless as to what an SS is or can't navigate the price guides. The price guides add an approx 10% premium to the price so clearly they think that's the case. If it weren't, those boxes to check for "SS" option would be deleted. On a $10K car the premium is around $1,000. On a $15K car, it might be around $1,500. And this makes perfect sense as the $3700 "SS" option on my '99 SS was about 13% of MSRP. Most of that premium is maintained on a % basis as these cars depreciate.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-10-2016 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stockA4
It all comes back to your goals for the car. If you only care about racing and you love to humiliate people with deeper pockets than yours get a Z28 and put your money in a well thought out driveline combination.

If you want to impress the kids at sonic with your big hood scoop get the SS.

In my world, the way a car functions is exponentially more important to me than how it looks. I really liked the 96-97 SS "two out the left" exhaust because it confused idiots and actually improved the accelerative performance of the car. (I've seen stock Lt1 SS cars run low 13's). I also loved the single out exhaust on the 98' SS cars for the same reason, it actually flowed better than the stock Z28 muffler.

I think I'm just at ranting at this point but you guys get the idea. If I had an SS it would have to be a completely original 96-98 model with one of the aforementioned SLP exhaust systems. I'd take it to sonic and spend the whole night trying to explain to ricers how its possible for a V8 car to have exhaust that only comes out on one side.

Thats not the world I live in though. I drag race on a shoestring budget. I weigh every dime I throw at my car because if it doesn't make it faster it's not really worth my time and effort.

I like my Z28's because up front they have belt buckle scratches and greasy hand prints on their fenders. Out back they've got tire rubber all over their wheel wells and soot stains on the bumper above the tailpipes from running rich.

I know that there are plenty of SS cars out there that get beat on and raced like mine do. I just never needed any of the extra stuff that they came with...

Maybe I'll try something different and autocross my 2.73 car. Anybody got a nice set of chrome ZR1's?
Ive been in the game a while. Ive modded my car quite extensively and still do. Id still likely buy the ss. While my bilstien suspension is now hanging on the wall in the shop the other items that made it an ss I still have, just recently semi retired the 10 spokes (still use 2 as a drag pack, sold two, and have 4 with street tires), and I paid extra to replace the logo mats. Hood, spoiler, and wheels will be staying with me regardless. See there is this other thing, you're just having trouble finding it or even being aware it exist.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Suth0325
I'm not going to pretend to know more than I do.. I used to own an automatic 2002 Camaro Z28.. I'm planning on buying another one.. Or at least they body style.. Is it worth the difference in cost to buy the SS instead of the Z28??
Visually yes, performance wise no.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 317 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
Visually yes, performance wise no.
I had to bring this back, hey Op you never told us what you ended up going with!? Z28 or SS?
Old 07-05-2017, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The opinion force is strong with stockA4.

For what it's worth, we aren't talking about high-dollar collector cars here. Which one do you like better? Simple as that.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 317 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
The opinion force is strong with stockA4.

For what it's worth, we aren't talking about high-dollar collector cars here. Which one do you like better? Simple as that.
You could be right and for what it's worth I would still take a cheaper countach over the more expensive F40.
please read my previous posts, At least where I live, low mile good condition Z28's are way cheaper to get into and go fast in on a budget. They are still the best speed bargain in the universe.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both.... SS hands down for me. Ive had 6 Z28's and two SS's and the SS's have always fealt better to me while driving and also look better to me.......BUT i have seen some Z28's that look just downright aggresive without the extra add ons.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Docrocket1967
Ive had 6 Z28's and two SS's and the SS's have always fealt better to me while driving and also look better to me
Looks are subjective so no point in debating that, but they drive exactly the same once you put 17x9 wheels/275-40 tires on the Z28 to match, unless of course you have one of the SLP upgrade suspension packages on the SS - then things would be noticeably different between the two. Zero acceleration difference though, again unless you have SLP options like the 345hp package (Blackwing & dual/dual) to bump power a bit, then you just have to add a lid and catback to the Z28 and again they are equal.

The Z28s actually have a smoother ride stock for stock, due to the 245/50 tires. When I switched to the SS wheels/tires on my Z28, this was immediately noticeable. After the switch, my Z28 drove exactly like my WS6 (which came with the same wheel/tire size as an SS.)

Now that these cars are all used, and even the low mileage ones are 15+ years old, any differences in how they drive today has much to do with how they've been treated over that period.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

SS is a waste of money (for what people ask for them over a Z28) unless you like the looks.

Quick Reply: SS vs Z28