General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

convertible vs ttop car...

Old 04-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible vs ttop car...

Which car do you prefer and why ?

I am considering getting a vert TA. I have 2 ls1 TA ttop cars.

Only concern is in the event of a rollover in a vert car.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a cage
Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer neither, I'm in the 1% of F-body owners that only likes hardtops.

Most will tell you if you're doing aggressive enough driving where a rollover is a likely risk you should have a rollcage regardless of it's a convertible or not. Being a 2+2 you can do a half cage and not effect the comfort or safety of the driver and front passenger, but the rear seat will become useless for people to ride back there safely. I mean there's always Murphy to ruin your day, but I'd think you'd have to do something incredibly stupid to roll a fourth gen F-body otherwise while on the street. This kind of question came up on the Miata forum at least once a week, if you drive sensibly and responsibly short of a freak event you have nothing to worry about. It's just part of the risk associated with a convertible, but it's very minor compared to something like a motorcycle.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Boxxx
I prefer neither, I'm in the 1% of F-body owners that only likes hardtops.
I guess I'm a 1%er too, on my second 4th gen hardtop and 3rd Camaro hardtop. If I want wind in my hair I'll ride my Harley.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Hardtops are the best choice if you're serious about performance from a chassis rigidity standpoint. Second is the t-top cars and lastly the verts. Also consider the weight penalty of a convertible as opposed to a t-top if you can't live without the open roof.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:40 PM
Launching!

As much as I love my hardtop there's really not much more there in terms of chassis rigidity over a T-top car with fourth gens. All fourth gens were cutout for T-tops from the factory, it's just that hardtop cars have a brace welded into place on each side between the window frame and sail panel then the composite roof panel is sealed into place over everything. If there is increased chassis rigidity it's probably negligible, though I will say my car is rattle free unlike my father's T-top Z28. Second and third gens hardtop cars are much stiffer though since they started as hardtops and then were cut out by Fisher(or Hurst in second gens) for T-tops.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:25 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,458 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I really prefer T-top or hardtop, either is fine to me. Not a fan of the convertible 4th gens though, just don't care much for what that top does to the roof line and profile of the car.

I also agree with Boxxx above, he's correct about the marginal difference in chassis strength between T-top vs. hardtop models in the 4th gen years. The hardtops do weigh a bit less (12lbs I think), though again this is a marginal difference.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 AM
Launching!

Going off what the T-tops weigh by hand it can't be more than a 10-20 pound difference for fourth gens, second gens are a whole other story though. I just like the hardtop for aesthetic reasons, that and the fact I'd never remove the T-tops they'd only be a source of annoyance for me. The only time I'd say yes go get a convertible is if you're wanting an open air family cruiser for your spouse and kids, otherwise get a T-top or hardtop car.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

different strokes for different folks. i've always wanted a convertible so when i hit my mid life crisis i found one with muscle. for me it was the best of both worlds. cheers! im jealous the new cars have so much power. when my times up i hope people remember me driving a hundo with my hair on fire!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 436 Likes on 315 Posts

If you want an 'open air' car, get a convertible. I have two convertibles in my garage and enjoy them both, and have for many, many years. My C4 removeable top has not come off since I bought it except to detail and clean the rubber. It's a pain to remove and takes up space. I also am not a 'pedal to the metal' driver. I have fun in the 'twisties' and certainly open it up at times but not a lot. I believe you would enjoy a convertible unless performance is the entire reason you own the car. For many convertible owners, cruising with the top down with your wife/ girlfriend along a beach or in the mountains can't be beat. If you need the power, it's there. If I lived in a big city, there wouldn't be a convertible in my garage. Lots of factors and certainly an individual choice.
Good luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
s2000442 (10-28-2020)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Had a 99 Z-28 T top car for the most part they were a PITA, I think I took them off once or twice in all the years i owned it, leaks and wind noise were mostly why I looked for several months to find my 2011 2SS with out the Moon roof etc.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:23 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by cookseyb
Had a 99 Z-28 T top car for the most part they were a PITA, I think I took them off once or twice in all the years i owned it, leaks and wind noise were mostly why I looked for several months to find my 2011 2SS with out the Moon roof etc.
I never had an issue with leaks from 4th gen t-tops, at least not due to rain or normal hand washing. I've seen a few drops leak in when using a touchless auto car wash/pressure washer when high pressure water is sprayed directly at the weather strip seams, but otherwise mine never had an issue (no concerns with excessive wind noise either, sounded the same inside as the hardtops I owned/drove/road in.)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I never had an issue with leaks from 4th gen t-tops, at least not due to rain or normal hand washing. I've seen a few drops leak in when using a touchless auto car wash/pressure washer when high pressure water is sprayed directly at the weather strip seams, but otherwise mine never had an issue (no concerns with excessive wind noise either, sounded the same inside as the hardtops I owned/drove/road in.)
agreed. Have had a ttop camaro since 1999. Never an issue with leaks. And no wind noise to speak of. Kind of the best of both worlds really. And agree with RPM about the looks too. Kills the appearance imo.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Another one here with zero leak issues with my t-top car.
I pull my tops on and off constantly.

Also not a fan of 4th gen convertibles, ESPECIALLY with the top down
Old 04-26-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Everyone sure is entitled to opinions but I certainly love my car. Many others do too. The positive comments/ compliments at car shows and just cruising through the mountains here are numerous. I appreciate all 4th generation F-bodies. In my eye they are designed beautifully and don't show their age.
convertible vs ttop car...-dsc01211.jpg

convertible vs ttop car...-dsc01930.jpg

convertible vs ttop car...-waynesville-4-.jpg
Old 04-26-2017, 06:58 PM
Launching!

I really don't see anything wrong aesthetically with the convertible version, I guess it visually elongates the back of the car and that's what people don't like. I don't like how T-tops look if it makes you convertible owners feel better.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:02 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Everyone sure is entitled to opinions but I certainly love my car. Many others do too. The positive comments/ compliments at car shows and just cruising through the mountains here are numerous. I appreciate all 4th generation F-bodies. In my eye they are designed beautifully and don't show their age.
If I didn't know better, I'd assume your Trans Am had under 15k miles on it. As always, to call it impressive would be an understatement. Convertible 4th gens may not be my personal preference for ownership (I just prefer the fastback styling of the rear glass on a T/Hardtop version), but there is no denying the effort you've put into keeping yours absolutely beautiful.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Have two t-tops and two hardtops cars. By far the hardtops are my favorite!
Attached Thumbnails convertible vs ttop car...-dscn2743.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

100% T-Tops. I really dislike convertibles. Our cars just do not look right in vert form as others have said. Though to be fair, I wouldn't own a vert version of any car, much less this one so maybe I am just biased.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JOHNNY59
Have two t-tops and two hardtops cars. By far the hardtops are my favorite!
What a family! Hope there aren't too many birds in that tree though

RPM WS6 Thank you!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: convertible vs ttop car...