General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

questions and answers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default questions and answers...

being a born again LS1 F body owner, as i have been in the fox body world for the last several years, just wondering the questions below

what was the best mod(s) or something you purchased for your f body?

worst mod(s) you did or purchase?

and if you could do all over again what you have done differently?

this is something i think about with every car i build and then sell. just looking for feedback.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Totally depends on what you want to do with the car and how you want it to be setup. For example a guy who strictly wants to drag race and has an auto could tell you that a stall converter and slicks/skinnies are the best mods. While a guy who just uses the car for a daily driver might tell you all season tires or something. And a guy who sets the car up for handling could tell you that 315 square tires, good shocks/springs/swaybars are the best mods.
So what exactly do you want out of the car?

I have my car setup to handle well and all around drive well on the street. So for me the best mod was Koni sport shocks, by far, I wouldn't own another one of these cars without them or at least something equivalent or better (like the strano/umi custom coilovers or penske's or something). Unreal the difference they made.
Other mods I would definitely do again regardless of build would probably be MGW shifter, sound deadening, and LT headers/full exhaust.
If you are building more of a great handling car (but still drives great on the street) then strano springs, strano swaybars and a watts link.
Rear LCAs, torque arm and relocation brackets did very little for me and SFCs made no noticeable difference at all.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Is the car stock? M6 or A4? Daily or weekend toy? Drag or road car?
Old 05-26-2017, 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Easy...skip all the bs bolt ons and throw a turbo on it from the start. Start with low boost until i can beef up the car around it. Wost mod is SFCs.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If making power is your goal then exactly what BrntWS6 said. I've see a lot of people on here say if the could do things all over again they would have gone straight to FI
Old 05-27-2017, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i guess i worded this post wrong, im just asking in general what was your worst mod you spent money on or best? with my several of my build over the years with lsx and lt1 cars i have owned and didn't know any better i wasted money on maf when it wasn't needed. drag suspension for street use only and so on. just looking to see what other have done.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok. Gotcha.

This last f body I bought was a completely stock A4. The first thing I did was a sold air intake with Kooks long tubes and duals. After the tune it really woke it up. Probably thevworst mod for tgis car was buying drag radials when I still had the stock torque converter and stock 2.73s. At the track the car bogged and ran slower... until I got a 4k stall and 4.10s... the took over a second off the quarter.

I once bought a 99 Z28 M6 brand new. I put a borla cat back, mti lid, and granatelli maf and noticed no difference in power. It did sound better, but that was it.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There's stickies for this stuff, at this point w/ the LS these questions have been beaten to death. Biggest thing I learned is don't cut corners or go cheap on certain parts (ie. Converters,heads,intakes) some you can get away w/ it(ie. exhaust parts, quality used parts).
Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well...people are still buying 1 3/4" headers. cam profiles improve, new intakes, new procharger unit, better turbo kits etc. So not all that irrelevant i feel. Parts have definately gotten better.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Worst mod is EASY for me! First time I lowered the car, I took the cheap way out an bought and Eibach Pro-Kit and paired it with new Gabriel shocks from Advance. It was the cheapest way to lower the car, but the ride was simply HORRIBLE. Got to the point I didn't even want to take it out... I had to save for a bit, but then went with Strano springs and Koni 4/3 shocks and got my ride back AND the improved handling I was originally looking for. BUT, hard lesson to learn because I actually spent the money to lower my car TWICE! Lesson learned! Spend the money and do it right the first time!
Old 06-03-2017, 11:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Worst mod is SFCs.
Agree. Although my RR quarter panel wrinkle (from launching) did not reappear after installing them, they hugely increased the transmission of NVH into the cabin - so that I feel every pebble on the road. Since daily driving is 99.9% of what I do with my car, this was a FAIL mod.

Quick Reply: questions and answers...