General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New Weatherstripping

Old 05-29-2017, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Weatherstripping

I realized today that my car is now 20 years old. I am looking for a new hood seal and hood blanket to replace on my car. So far, I searched this site for any post where someone has ran into the same problem. I also searched GM parts Online vendors but the parts have been discontinued.

I looked on Classic industries site and Ricks Camaro site but it seems that the hood seal is the only weatherstripping that is not made on the aftermarket.

Does anyone know where I can get a new hood blanket and hood seal for my Z28? I was going to try Fred Beans parts, I thought they used to be a sponsor here.

Thanks,
Old 05-29-2017, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Rick's Camaro.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

I think the hood insulators have been discontinued for a while now, or at least I remember reading that some time ago. The factory stopped issuing them on F-bodies starting with the 2000 model year (and they were never issued on the WS6/SS/Firehawk hoods), so they've been out of production for a couple years longer than these cars themselves. I don't think anyone reproduces them. I don't have any information on the hood seal, though you might be able to find a good used one.

Both the hood insulator and hood seal last for a very long time if the car is nicely kept/low mileage. Both of these parts still look like brand new on my garage queen '98, so finding a nice used one would certainly be possible if you could find a low mileage car being parted out.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this thread brought out the old guys. Thanks for the ideas.

RPM, your garage queen sounds alot like my 1998 Camaro; she only has 49,000 on her and mostly sits in the garage. The weatherstripping is still good and soft, but she puked up ATF some time ago and it rippled the base of the rubber a bit. I was just hoping to pick up some new old stock to replace the part while there was some available. I may try and see what is available on the parts exchange and also call Fred Beans parts.

I am still trying to track down some other problems on her to get her back on the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Weatherstripping