Looking at a gen5 camaro need advice - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Looking at a gen5 camaro need advice

Old 06-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #1

Default Looking at a gen5 camaro need advice

Hi, lifetime GM fan here. Mostly have owned trucks but recently decided to get a Camaro.
I didn't see any "general" info forums so thought I would post some questions here. Hope that's okay.

I'm going to look at a 2010 Camaro SS this weekend. Just wondering if any of you might have some advice for me, like stuff I should check out, stuff I should avoid?

The car is an SS 6.2, with manual trans. From my understanding the engine is the LS3. No AFM, and a slight bit more HP than the automatic trans option.
Trying to stay away from AFM. That's why I'm looking at the Manual trans models.

Curious, is the slave cylinder on this model internal and part of the TOB?
The previous owner listed that he replaced the clutch but all I can find listed as parts is a slave cylinder/clutch actuator.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, and nice to meat you all
Gasoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #2

So after doing more research I found that the slave cylinder is indeed internal.
I wondered because the owner said the clutch was replaced but the receipt only shows the slave cylinder. Kind of odd that someone would go to the trouble of R&Ring the trans and not installing a new clutch. But who knows.

Anyway I was sure hoping one of you guys who knows a lot about the gen5s had some advice as to things I should be sure to look at before I pull the trigger on this. But I understand this is probably a dumb question that gets asked a lot.

Thanks anyway. And still nice to meet you all
Old 06-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
TECH Enthusiast

Hope you enjoy your new Camaro....I would absolutely try and get some seat time in one before purchasing though. I love my 1LE SS but it wasn't everything I hope it was going to be but the small things that disappoint me didn't outweigh the idea of purchasing. I would do it all over again. But for the price of a 2010 you could step into a 2013 for about the same price or not much more too so keep your eye out.
Docrocket1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Thanks Doc, do you think the 2013s ride better? I've driven a couple 14s but no 2010s yet. We found this one on line through auto trader. It looks well taken care of, but pictures aren't always accurate.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM   #5
TECH Enthusiast

2013's offered more i think. The MYlink was available and it was the last year for those tailights and its still not very old. If you think about it most 2010 Camaro's are 8 years old now because they came out in 2009 alot of them. You can get a 2013 for about the same price and it's newer.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #6

Well I bought it. It was just too nice. Couldn't pass it up.
I tried to upload a pic but didn't go through or ended up some place else.
Anyway I'll try to get a pic uploaded later. Shes really sweet
2010 2SS Manual LS3 with GM perf true duals high flow cats and long tube headers. Dyno tuned 460 RWHP
Been stored. Smells musty. Even came with a custom fit bag that zips up tight around the entire car so rodents can't get in.
Hasn't been driven a lot. And most of all hasn't been raced.
Shifts strong. Firm clutch pedal.
Needs some stuff cleaned up underneath. Collector bolts and header bolts are pretty rusty.
Gotta go for now though. Poker game tonight
Old 06-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
TECH Regular

Tip.. You really need to be aware of your surroundings, the rear visibility is bad, the blind spots too, for some reason IDIOTS like to ride where you can't see them in your mirrors. I'm going to invest in a rear camera I think. Other than that I love my 2011 2SS. Does it have the Hurst shifter up grade? If not it is SOOO much better than stock.. Enjoy
cookseyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #8

No Hurst shifter yet. and yes visability is tight. Lots of stuff I'm thinking about doing to her. New shifter definitely high on the list.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #9
TECH Enthusiast

What color did you end up with?