General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Question about flat towing a 2000 Z28 with 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about flat towing a 2000 Z28 with 6 speed

I have a question and was hoping somebody on here knows the correct answer.

The car is being set up to be flat towed. In case you don't know what that is, imagine a car being towed behind an RV with all four wheels rolling on the ground.

My question is if it is safe and acceptable to tow the car with the drive shaft in place and simply put the transmission in neutral? It is a 6 speed manual transmission.
Some cars are safe to tow this way and others are not.

My understanding is that even though the transmission is in neutral some transmissions still rotate some of the gears and heat can build up and the transmission is not properly lubricated due to the input shaft not rotating.

Any insight is appreciated.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

I towed for a living for many years. Not once did I ever have an issue towing a manual with the drive tires on the ground. If it was an auto we obviously kept the car running during the tow if possible and short distances only. For a manual it will not lubricate the transmission properly while towing it but it does still lubricate while rotating. How far are you going? Might just be better to unhook the driveshaft and strap it to the bottom of the car but not really necessary if you arent going too far.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply.

The story behind the question is this.
Since the car is 17 years old and being converted into more of a weekend hotrod/race car rather than a daily driver, I decided to weld two steel plates to stick out the front of the car that can be used to bolt a front towing hitch onto the car so my SUV can tow it in case it breaks down on me. As part of that, I also added light connections into a little black box that lets the trailer connector tie into the rear lights of the car so the towed car will have good towing lights.
In theory, if it breaks down at the track I should be able to use my other vehicle to tow it home rather than having to call a tow truck.

If it is not necessary I would rather not disconnect the drive shaft because the car has been lowered, which makes it tough to get to the drive shaft bolts unless I raise up the car with a jack.

Quick Reply: Question about flat towing a 2000 Z28 with 6 speed