Just bought my moms camaro - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Just bought my moms camaro

Old 07-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
Teching In

Default Just bought my moms camaro

Hey Guys, I'm pretty excited because I just bought my moms 99 SS Camaro. She has taken great care of this car and I am stoked. She ordered this car in early 99 and she did it right I think, 6 speed 99 SS camaro t-top. Only has 56k miles and I couldn't find a flaw on it. I drooled over this thing as a teenager. I was a freshman in high school when she got it and I can't believe I can now call it mine. Just wanted to tell my little story of how I got my first camaro and look forward to being an active member of this forum.
99ssDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
TECH Apprentice

Not sure if this is the right forum subcategory, but congratulations! I remember getting my first V6 Firebird... and then LT1 V8 Camaro... and then FINALLY my WS6 LS1 that I've been dreaming about. Are you gonna be doing any work to it, headers etc? Or are you just keeping her in the shape your mom kept it?
SouthernRex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:46 PM   #3
Teching In

Oops I realize I did post in the wrong section. I just saw new LS1 owners and went there. Yeah I do plan to do some upgrades but It will be over time. To be honest I would love to keep it stock and just enjoy the car but I'm pretty sure that will fade fast. This car stock is not as fast as I thought it was in high school . I just don't want to jeopardize the longevity of the car but will be looking for some pretty basic bolt on mods down the road but nothing crazy.
99ssDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
TECH Fanatic

It fades fast lol.....I promise.

It does not help that everything is fast these days. Not that stock ls1's are not, they just are not stock Kings like they were in the 90's and 2000's. Jeeze that's a long time ago lol. Good thing about them is they take very well to mods and a nice heads/cam setup will get you deep into the 11's

I was in highschool also when these cars were introduced and they were the ****. (And still are imo)
98CayenneT/A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
TECH Addict

Decent rear shocks and rear Lower Control Arm Relocation brackets(bolt-on). Because of the 6 speed,these will help save the rear end internals from catastrophe due to wheel hop.
FirstYrLS1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
TECH Enthusiast

Congratulations on the 99 Camaro SS M6. I got mine 5 yrs ago. It has all the power in stock form that I could possibly use. With everyone being a "policeman" these days, there just aren't as many opportunities to be "fast" as there were in 1999. Sure, I'd love 400-425 hp that today's cars have....but I don't want to pay the extra $10K-$20K it costs to get there or buy one of those cars. $10K or so for a budget minded 4th gen with 325-350 hp is just fine.

Since it's your mom's car and all original I'd try to keep it that way. That by itself makes it pretty special. So few of those left with 55K miles...most are beat up by that time. Hopping it up will only empty your wallet, and literally devalue the car's desirability. It could even make it worth less after being modded. if you really wanted a modded car, you can buy those with lid/wheels/shifter/suspension/headers already all done and pay almost no premium to get them. For every 50 modded cars out there...there's only 1 like yours.

Last edited by Firebrian; 08-13-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Firebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:12 AM   #7
Teching In

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A View Post
It fades fast lol.....I promise.

It does not help that everything is fast these days. Not that stock ls1's are not, they just are not stock Kings like they were in the 90's and 2000's. Jeeze that's a long time ago lol. Good thing about them is they take very well to mods and a nice heads/cam setup will get you deep into the 11's

I was in highschool also when these cars were introduced and they were the ****. (And still are imo)
I too just got my WS6 not all that long ago. I wanted one since I was 15 after riding in a 2001 SS. He's right, I had an evo 10 reel me in pretty easily today. Congrats, they are great cars.
TPIZ92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
TECH Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPIZ92 View Post
I too just got my WS6 not all that long ago. I wanted one since I was 15 after riding in a 2001 SS. He's right, I had an evo 10 reel me in pretty easily today. Congrats, they are great cars.
Those cars have fairly comparable 1/4 mile times and to some extent 0-60 times. Whether 100% stock, driver's skill set, and how much of a speeding ticket one is willing to risk all factors into it. Unless you're absolutely ready for it with a 6 speed the time it takes to shift around 2nd-3rd in the T56 can really kill you. In that situation, I'd take an A4 any day with just a simple mashing of the pedal. I've had both and I consider myself "road kill" trying to shift my T56 for time.
Firebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #9
Staging Lane

Congrats!
sparky1_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote