General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What Would You Do ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Comp is still grinding many of the cams being sold underw other shops names, The shops spec the cam and have comp grind it for them. It wasn't comps fault that the wrong springs were used in this case.
I know many still use comp, just noticed some vendors are using other cam companies recently
Old 10-16-2017, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Probably not much you can after 2 years though.
The hot rod community isn’t all that large in Tempe, AZ . Word gets around .. I’ll be spreading it since he was negligent and offering nothing but a new set of the wrong springs lol ... He won’t even bother to research if I’m right or not .. I’m filing smal claims , worse judge can say is no , and maybe he won’t show up . The shop who put it together right gave me all the information to prove my case in court .. cam has serial number and I have the old springs ..

My new setup put down 438 hp / 400lbs of torque on the dyno in warm air ... old set up put down 375hp
Old 10-19-2017, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaskar
The hot rod community isn’t all that large in Tempe, AZ . Word gets around .. I’ll be spreading it since he was negligent and offering nothing but a new set of the wrong springs lol ... He won’t even bother to research if I’m right or not .. I’m filing smal claims , worse judge can say is no , and maybe he won’t show up . The shop who put it together right gave me all the information to prove my case in court .. cam has serial number and I have the old springs ..

My new setup put down 438 hp / 400lbs of torque on the dyno in warm air ... old set up put down 375hp
Damn that picked up a lot of power, it may have had valve float with the single spring accounting for some of the power loss. The valve float would also potentially cause the spring to break.

Does it pull the same in mid rpm but much harder in higher rpm?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Valve Spring Design Quality = NOT Comp

Hi Zaskar, as you see NO ONE has answered your request.

I would go after Comp Cams.

My experience with their (Comp) "beehives" = THEY Break ALWAYS with many reports from other users/shops to me.
I use PSI1511ML single spring "beehives" as do many in the GN-West race engine world. (no broken spring reports)
I have tested at Westec with FREE Comp valve train items provided and found the SAME broken Valve Spring within minutes of new, a Low Lift Turbo cam.
I have been FORCED to fit their Roller Lifters into RHS blocks with that item breaking in the most simple fashion. (the button bolt)

Send me a spring, it can be examined for poor quality.
This is the ONLY type of data that could stand in a court room.
You ARE one of MANY who report the same problem AND Comp sells this spring today = negligence, a "class" suit.

YOU could have NO LUCK with action against the shop as this is a "race" engine.

Find the "deep pocket" and you could succeed with a case with many others involved.

Lance
Old 10-20-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI

I would go after Comp Cams.

My experience with their (Comp) "beehives" = THEY Break ALWAYS with many reports from other users/shops to me.
I use PSI1511ML single spring "beehives" as do many in the GN-West race engine world. (no broken spring reports)
I have tested at Westec with FREE Comp valve train items provided and found the SAME broken Valve Spring within minutes of new, a Low Lift Turbo cam.
I have been FORCED to fit their Roller Lifters into RHS blocks with that item breaking in the most simple fashion. (the button bolt)

Send me a spring, it can be examined for poor quality.
This is the ONLY type of data that could stand in a court room.
You ARE one of MANY who report the same problem AND Comp sells this spring today = negligence, a "class" suit.

YOU could have NO LUCK with action against the shop as this is a "race" engine.

Find the "deep pocket" and you could succeed with a case with many others involved.

Lance

Yeah go after comp for the wrong springs getting used and see how far you get lol. They'll immediately say it was an installer error and leave you hanging. Pretty simple.

"NO ONE" has answered his request??
Old 10-21-2017, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems obvious the shop is negligent. It's like saying 87 octane gas says it works in cars so that's what we used in your car, totally ignoring the fact that "your" car says "93 octane or higher" right on the gas cap.

Hard to believe they'd be that dumb. Sounds like they were doing a job they aren't properly trained for.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Yeah go after comp for the wrong springs getting used and see how far you get lol. They'll immediately say it was an installer error and leave you hanging. Pretty simple.

"NO ONE" has answered his request??
This. Spot on.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I missed that the cam card spells out what valves springs are required for the cam. This should be on the shop for sure if they ignored what the required spring is and purposely installed a lesser spring.

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
By the way, the OP's request was for people's OPINIONS on what they would be do in his situation. And people posting before you did just that, they gave their opinions. Just because others' opinions isn't the same as yours doesn't mean they weren't answering. Also, your opinion regarding the OP going after Comp due to a shop installing a lesser spring than what is specifically required via the Comp cam card doesn't make much sense.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 10-23-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Spink
Seems obvious the shop is negligent. It's like saying 87 octane gas says it works in cars so that's what we used in your car, totally ignoring the fact that "your" car says "93 octane or higher" right on the gas cap.

Very good analogy

Hard to believe they'd be that dumb. Sounds like they were doing a job they aren't properly trained for.
Originally Posted by Number Tew
This. Spot on.

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
I missed that the cam card spells out what valves springs are required for the cam. This should be on the shop for sure if they ignored what the required spring is and purposely installed a lesser spring.

By the way, the OP's request was for people's OPINIONS on what they would be do in his situation. And people posting before you did just that, they gave their opinions. Just because others' opinions isn't the same as yours doesn't mean they weren't answering. Also, your opinion regarding the OP going after Comp due to a shop installing a lesser spring than what is specifically required via the Comp cam card doesn't make much sense.
He responds to a lot of posts like that, no clue what's going on with that dude.

Quick Reply: What Would You Do ?