General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

C6 Corvette vs 4th Gen TA

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

^ All I can see above is an SPID sticker, but the data on it tells me that we're talking about a black (41U) 1999 (X in the VIN) Trans Am (Y82) with an automatic transmission (MX0/M30), performance 3.23 axle ratio (GU5), T-tops (CC1, standard for all 1998+ Trans Ams) and articulating (AQ9) dark gray leather (142) bucket seats. Other optional content originally included the Monsoon CD player (W55) and 245/50/16 Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires (QLC). Most other items appear to be standard for a Trans Am. This car did not come with traction control (NW9 - missing).
Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 08-08-2018, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
^ All I can see above is an SPID sticker, but the data on it tells me that we're talking about a black (41U) 1999 (X in the VIN) Trans Am (Y82) with an automatic transmission (MX0/M30), performance 3.23 axle ratio (GU5), T-tops (CC1, standard for all 1998+ Trans Ams) and articulating (AQ9) dark gray leather (142) bucket seats. Other optional content originally included the Monsoon CD player (W55) and 245/50/16 Goodyear Eagle GS-C tires (QLC). Most other items appear to be standard for a Trans Am. This car did not come with traction control (NW9 - missing).
From when I broke down the codes it's missing traction control, the top level stereo, and the top level suspension. It's the 16" wheels but they're the chrome 5 spoke which look identical to the ws6 wheels except for the center caps that say abs. To this day all the people who comment say either "too bad it's an auto" or "why did you get rid of the snorkel hood" lol
Old 08-08-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol my buddy who works at dealer auctions just passed on a 90k mile 02 WS6 for $8k because even at that point there wasn't much profit to be made in a flip. It was a clean female owned/1 owner car bone stock. He sent me the pics and paint was good, interior had some sun damage typical of an older FL car. Just needed some cleaning and a basic tune-up. We both agreed it wasn't worth it for a flip, but would have been a good starting point for a build.

They are dirt cheap down here, so not sure where the crazy high priced examples are coming from but I guess if you're in the market for a cheap fbomb come to FL .

If you want a driver, the C6 is a miles better car. For a project, the f-body is a hard platform to beat.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the C6 and really all Corvettes for that matter. My dad had an '07 Z51 with full exhaust/cam and I thought it was a great car in every way. But to me, there is no car like a nice 4th gen T/A or Camaro, they are my all time favorites. With that said, you can't go wrong either way, in terms of a build, with the aftermarket for these cars you can do whatever you want and do it well. Road race, auto X, straight line, the options are unlimited with both.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
From when I broke down the codes it's missing traction control, the top level stereo, and the top level suspension. It's the 16" wheels but they're the chrome 5 spoke which look identical to the ws6 wheels except for the center caps that say abs. To this day all the people who comment say either "too bad it's an auto" or "why did you get rid of the snorkel hood" lol
I'm not sure what stereo would be considered "top level" beyond the W55 CD player that this car originally came with. The other option was a Monsoon cassette player (W54), but that was a cost reduction option from what I recall, and definitely not higher level. Perhaps you're referring to the 12-disc CD changer in the trunk? That would have been RPO U1S (which is obviously missing from your SPID).

I'm one of the few who actually prefers an auto, so you won't hear me complaining about that.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm not sure what stereo would be considered "top level" beyond the W55 CD player that this car originally came with. The other option was a Monsoon cassette player (W54), but that was a cost reduction option from what I recall, and definitely not higher level. Perhaps you're referring to the 12-disc CD changer in the trunk? That would have been RPO U1S (which is obviously missing from your SPID).

I'm one of the few who actually prefers an auto, so you won't hear me complaining about that.
The cd changer was what I was thinking of as the top level stereo. It's an option I'd never use so I don't miss it. With my health issues I can't drive a manual so the t56 is something I can only enjoy as a passenger. Luckily for me this car was optioned exactly how I would have ordered it if I bought it new but I saved 30k by letting others play with it first
Old 08-09-2018, 06:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The cassette Monsoon was roughly a $400 credit. I remember this, because when I was pricing up a stripper Formula for $24K as a fresh college grad I was trying to save money, lol. Of course by 2001 good luck finding a dealer that had a Formula at all on the lot. Ended up going with the NHRA T/A for $29.1k ($26,xxx after GM employee discount) because it was the only non-WS6 or Firehawk on the lot and I didn't want to pay another 3K+ for the hood and wheels.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I still have so much love in my heart for a SOM Formula Firehawk...last one I saw sell was from Hawk's last year for $16k. It was a pretty good deal as it was low miles M6, had their 8.8 rear, and heads/cam IIRC. My daughter was only 4 months old and we were starting to look at houses though. I hate the WS6 hood and T/A wing, Formula's are my favorite Fbombs. As Puck pointed out, they are cheap in FL!!! As I stated before I bought a $4k M6 Trans Am from Tampa and then went a little north for my Formula for $3k. 2 cars, one day, $7k, and then sold the T/A a month later for $6k. Did minor cleaning, tune up, oil change, new belts/tensioners, and swapped some wheels and tires around with some of my other cars.

If I could find a M6 Formula for a DD/Toy, I might be able to talk my self into that over a C5Z, but it would have to be a $5k Formula. And with the price of rollers lately...it'd be hard to even build one for 5k. Fbombs are the next foxbody coupe.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28tek

Your sig pic makes me laugh because of where it was taken. Guess where mine was taken? A home depot parking lot. Hard not to keep looking back at when I walk into a store, and often times the cell phone photographer in me comes out, lol.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Your sig pic makes me laugh because of where it was taken. Guess where mine was taken? A home depot parking lot. Hard not to keep looking back at when I walk into a store, and often times the cell phone photographer in me comes out, lol.
That's awesome!
I do the same thing when I take my car somewhere.
I had just got the car out that week, it had been sitting for a few years so when I got it out of hibernation I had a local shop (I am friends with some of the mechanics and owner) look it over, replaced the serpentine belt and water pump gasket as they looked old as ****. I had just picked it up from there and needed some things at Lowe's so I took some photos as I had just cleaned the car.
This is BEFORE I waxed the car later that week.

For my car personally, I know now its not worth a buttload of money and after @RPMWS6 owned my **** on here like 3 times, I know its not as rare as I once thought... my LS1 is nothing special.
That being said I can't get gas without a compliment from a stranger and at a recent car show I got an offer near 17K, but only after the guy looked over my car and realized how well its been taken care of, and when I showed him all the paperwork and true mileage.
Im the 3rd owner, no winters, no rain, always stored, all documentation + window sticker, underneath look like new besides some road debris from normal driving, ext, took me awhile to find a triple black (well, seats are dark pewter) 6 speed WS6 that hasn't been modded to the hills or beat on a little bit.

Here's a few more pics from that day, and maybe a few from another

Last edited by Z28tek; 08-15-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I get a lot of comments too. Even got a a jogger to wave at me a couple of times, lol. I know my car is nothign special but a lot of people like them. My dad's car was down for a week a few years ago and he needed to borrow one. I tried REALLY hard to have him take our new at the time Golf R (Turbo, AWD, faster than a GTI) but he subtly guilt-ed me into letting him borrow a car for a daily driver that I hadn't driven 200 miles in myself. He said it was crazy that someone walked up to him every time he stopped. I get a lot of waves from other car owners, especially vettes. Not as much at gas stations and stuff. I don't look very approachable, lol. But at car shows and cars n coffee it gets a lot of attention. People are amazed at how nice the factory paint looks even though i know every single blemish on the car. It really is remarkable how much attention they garner.

My mother - who my father used to drive to pick up fro the train station every day - couldn't wait to get rid of the stupid batmobile. I think she was pissed because she couldn't smoke in it too.