General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

ls1 vs ls3

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

Default ls1 vs ls3

My 71 Camaro in my sig, the plan was always ls3 six speed, but those combos arent cheap so Ive always put it off. I like the idea of a crate motor with a warranty. The crux.......my father in law has this 02 camaro that needs a clutch and the body is rough. LS1 t56 with 80k stock un touched.......he is asking 3700 for the car. Its not my plan, but it would really help me make some headway on the car so am I stupid for not picking this thing up?

LS1 vs LS3 besides the obvious more cubes, HP, and stronger starting platform.....and the ego of of ls3. For a car that is just gonna be a resto-mod driver what would you do. Its not an OMG ill never afford an ls3, just have a kid and house so excess funds tend to go into other things these days. Ive been setting on this car for 7-8 years now, I have my suspension in order but the body needs some love. But aside from paint and interior the powertrain is the largest expense.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I see no reason not to save the money and go with the LS1 for a restomod. You can probably recoup a large chunk of money selling off what you don't need and then dumping the roller.

Only thing you're really giving up is a half liter of displacement and the bump in torque that comes with it. Power wise an '01/'02 LS1 could put down 310-320 at the wheels, an LS3 depending on application around 350ish. If the deficit bothered ya that much it's easy enough to make up by putting some of the savings into heads/cam work and then making more power than the LS3 anyway
Old 05-21-2018, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting a crate motor with a warranty is real nice, no doubt, but that's gonna cost a lot!
It all depends on what your endgame goal is.

If you just want a 430BHP motor your not going to touch and maybe a add a few bolt ons, the LS3 is a there already.
If you want to save money and dig into a motor, you can get a low mile LS1 drivetrain + wiring from a wrecked car for cheap, and as we all know an LS1 can be built up to make 430BHP pretty easily.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 536 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm happy with my LS2. It performs well.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

If I went ls3 I was leaning towards the hotcam 480Hp, if I picked up this ls1 it wouldnt be stock Id like to get up to around 420HP. I figure I can pull the motor trans and harness and either part out the car or sell it as. I got room for it either way. Part of the reason ive been so hesitant on the ls3 is because of far off the car is from being driveable anyway. So the warranty would probably go out before I was finished since im doing all the work.

The problem with this is the convenience of it. and I know what he paid for it vs what he is asking so it maybe much cheaper than the price he told me cause at the time I was gonna help him sell it. than it hit me "am I stupid for not buying this?"

Thanks for the input guys looks like she is getting a LS1
Old 05-24-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Considering your circumstance you explained, I would for sure go with that LS1 for now. Its much cheaper and that extra coin you'd spend on the LS3 can go towards getting the car on the road. The LS1 can always be sold down the line to put towards an LS3 if/when you get to that point.