General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

$6,000 Budget Build - Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:52 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Getting an LS physically mounted into a C10 is ridiculously easy.

$35 ICT Billet adapter plates, bolt your old stock SBC mounts back up to the adapter plates, and drop it in. The Muncie will work with a big block bell housing, the small block bell housing won't clear the larger LS style flexplate unless you hack off the bottom like an auto trans.
The stock truck intake manifold, accessories, mechanical fan, oil pan, will fit. The LS power steering pump and lines should adapt to your steering box no problem, other than you MIGHT need the $18 feed line adapter.
Use 99-07 truck radiator hoses (just get them with the engine).

For fuel, you'll have to remove all of your old fuel lines. Get a Walbro 255 inline pump. Either pull fuel straight out of the stock pickup line on your OEM tank, or get one of those $60 drill and bolt-on sump kits they sell for the diesel guys. Drill a hole in the tank, sending unit, filler neck, wherever for a fuel return. Run new fuel lines that can handle the high pressure.

Buy a wiring harness, get a PCM with the VATS removed.

I've had stock pull-out 5.3s dropped into old SBC equipped cars/trucks, wired and fired on a $1,000 budget. From there, you have to decide what you want to improve or change, rebuild or upgrade.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just decided against swapping an LS into my 68 C10, actually had a similar thread. I even owned the potential donor vehicle in my driveway. I have a 350/TH350, upper end mild cam, Dual plane Holley intake, 650 Holley Carb, HEI, Long tube headers and a 2200 stall Torque converter setup in the C10. I drive mine occasionally so it made sense to leave the set up as is. I'm probably going to drop the cash to go EFI (probably not FiTech, only find mixed reviews) eventually. Mine won't exactly get up and go like my WS6 but then again it is a 50 year old truck with 3:08 gears. It will still easily melt down the tires and move fast enough to question why you are going that fast.

Before you drop the $6K I'd swap the TC and rear gears. I picked up a full 3:73 rear for $200. Haven't installed it because I cruise mostly.
There is so much you can do to a SBC/C10 for $6k. I don't have that in my SBC swap, custom Spintech exhaust, 4 wheel power disc brakes, and the huge stack of parts yet to be installed.

I totally get the convenience of having an LS engine in the C10 but I think I'd rather not be another LS swapped C10.

Quick Reply: $6,000 Budget Build - Need Advice