2000 WS6 Build Thread - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

2000 WS6 Build Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 2000 WS6 Build Thread

Hope this is the best spot to put this! Long time F-Body owner, first time WS6 owner. Couldn't be happier in the car!! It's a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (obviously). M6/10 Bolt car. The purchase went pretty well and it's a clean car (out of state import to MN) so I'm really happy overall with it.

So far the modifications it had when I purchased it are:

Engine:
-Brian Tooley Racing Stage 4 Cam/Supporting Mods
-Lightweight flywheel/aftermarket clutch (No idea what brands. I know....)
-Underdrive Crank Pulley
-SLP Lid
-Catch Can
-EGR Deleted
-Speed Engineering Longtubes/Y-Pipe
-Borla Catback

Suspension/Drivetrain
-MGW Short Throw Shifter
-Lowering Springs
-Bilstein Shocks
-UMI Adjustable LCA's
-UMI Adjustable PHB

Here's a clip and some photos in the immediate couple of days following the purchase.

Stopped at a local car show

When I bought the car, the PO had "deleted" the read seats. Luckily all of the hardware was present and I reinstalled it ASAP lol. Too boy-racerish for me.

Changed the differential fluid and oil/filter. I found out it does need a water pump (what are the odds of it going bad 5 days after buying it and NOT beating on the thing.

I used Lucas Oils Synthetic 75W90 in the Differential/Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30 in the engine.

Coated the differential with some rubberized undercoating to keep it clean

Last edited by bjohn; 06-30-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Car looks good. You gonna swap out the 10 bolt or keep it while and see how it does?
Old 06-28-2018, 07:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Car looks good. You gonna swap out the 10 bolt or keep it while and see how it does?
Well, I'll keep it as long as possible but I feel it's had a hard life already haha. The pinion leaks a little bit while driving. So we will see what the best plan is when the time comes.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bjohn View Post
Well, I'll keep it as long as possible but I feel it's had a hard life already haha. The pinion leaks a little bit while driving. So we will see what the best plan is when the time comes.
Yep I hear ya man. I'm still rocking the stock 10 bolt as well, and at around 600 rwhp with a M6 and 4.10's I can't believe it's still alive lol
Old 06-28-2018, 08:36 PM
TECH Resident

Yep I hear ya man. I'm still rocking the stock 10 bolt as well, and at around 600 rwhp with a M6 and 4.10's I can't believe it's still alive lol

Old 06-28-2018, 08:43 PM
Launching!

What size tires are on that beast looks wide
Old 06-29-2018, 12:52 AM
10 Second Club

Look forward to seeing your build dude!
Old 06-29-2018, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha no way. That sounds like borrowed time to me!! What kind of tires are you running?

Originally Posted by one sweet ws6 View Post
What size tires are on that beast looks wide
They are 315 Mickey Thompsons
Originally Posted by WS6 #3392 View Post
Look forward to seeing your build dude!
Thanks man, I hope I can keep it interesting enough to follow haha!
Old 06-29-2018, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Haha no way. That sounds like borrowed time to me!! What kind of tires are you running?

They are 315 Mickey Thompsons

Thanks man, I hope I can keep it interesting enough to follow haha!
I'm running 315 NTO5R's. Don't ask me how I've made it this long lol
Old 06-29-2018, 06:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm running 315 NTO5R's. Don't ask me how I've made it this long lol
Yeah that's a good question haha. I've got a similar Mickey Thompson on mine in the 315 size. The last car I had I ran 295 NT05R's and went a 1.65 60' with a stock motor/auto/4000 Yank Stall at a track through the stock 10 bolt haha. They are surprisingly tough for how "weak" everyone says they are. Idk, I've never broke one yet.......
Old 06-29-2018, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah that's a good question haha. I've got a similar Mickey Thompson on mine in the 315 size. The last car I had I ran 295 NT05R's and went a 1.65 60' with a stock motor/auto/4000 Yank Stall at a track through the stock 10 bolt haha. They are surprisingly tough for how "weak" everyone says they are. Idk, I've never broke one yet.......
I know it's crazy lol. Being an auto helps you no doubt, but then again those 60 ft's that you have are pretty strong. Im sure its just a matter of time for both of us lol
Old 06-30-2018, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know it's crazy lol. Being an auto helps you no doubt, but then again those 60 ft's that you have are pretty strong. Im sure its just a matter of time for both of us lol
You're telling me!! haha. I guess we will have to see how well they hold up

Today I dove into the "non-working" AC in the car. The previous owner told me that the AC had been drained and never refilled after the cam installation which was partially true. I found there to be no belt (I saw this before purchase), and that there was minimal R134 in the AC system upon further inspection. I bought the OEM size belt which turned out to be too large with the underdrive crank pulley. A second stop to the parts store rendered two other four rib belts in the 39.96" (Duralast 400K4) and 38.98" (Duralast 390K4) lengths. The factory one is right around 41" if I recall.... The shorter of the two I brought home was perfect (390K4).

Unfortunately, I need to get an AC recharge kit to make it fully functional. Yes I know, old man!!! haha. The cost/benefit of having AC is a no brainer to me. Why would you rather have swamp *** in exchange for 1HP gained.....

Belt installed:

I also installed two LED reverse lights. They aren't HID's, but really update the look of the car overall. LED lighting verses halogen bulbs goes a long ways on older cars in my opinion. They are standard parts store Sylvania 4057 direct replacement bulbs....

Here's the 50/50 shot

Both replaced

Old 07-01-2018, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

I'm with you on the AC. I worked around my first WS6 to keep it, and I will work around this one as well. I like the LED lights also.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6 #3392 View Post
I'm with you on the AC. I worked around my first WS6 to keep it, and I will work around this one as well. I like the LED lights also.
Thank you! These aren't "big" updates, but every little things adds up to a nice car

So! I got the A/C fixed today. Everything looking nice and frosty under the hood, and the air is blowing frigidly cold.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Ya im with u on the ac id rather have ac than swamp ***. I like the leds. I put leds on my entire car makes a big differance plus the burn so much cooler no more melted sockets from the daytime running lights
Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

How are you liking that BTR stage 4 cam? I actually went with that cam as well for my 370 im finishing up this week. Crossing my fingers i get it started on the 5th lol! Car looks sweet.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Teching In

I love the videos and documenting what you're doing during the process. You'll give this car a great home from what I can see. Do you have any plans to change out the rest of the bulbs in the rear?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by one sweet ws6 View Post
Ya im with u on the ac id rather have ac than swamp ***. I like the leds. I put leds on my entire car makes a big differance plus the burn so much cooler no more melted sockets from the daytime running lights
Hopefully next time I drive it, there will still be a full charge and it works perfect haha! Now that you mention it, I'd consider doing it to the whole car. I really like the idea of keeping things cooler. God knows we fight with burnt sockets enough on GM stuff as it is. The offset cost of the LED bulbs might be worth the cost of replacing sockets occasionally.

Originally Posted by lsx4thewin View Post
How are you liking that BTR stage 4 cam? I actually went with that cam as well for my 370 im finishing up this week. Crossing my fingers i get it started on the 5th lol! Car looks sweet.
The cam is great in the car. I bought it this way, and all I can say is that it runs good and pulls hard on the top end. The tuner (allegedly CJ tunes/Lancer Automotive in the Minneapolis area) did a fantastic job. Thanks for checking the thread out too! It might not be as flashy as a lot of other build stuff on here but it's what I've got and I won't go broke fixing this thing up and making it a realistic street car!

Originally Posted by 441bertre View Post
I love the videos and documenting what you're doing during the process. You'll give this car a great home from what I can see. Do you have any plans to change out the rest of the bulbs in the rear?
Thank you so much! It's always really encouraging hearing good feedback on the YouTube side of things. It takes a bit of time and thought to put the videos together but I love doing it. lsx4thewin and you must have had parallel thinking with changing out the rest of the lighting. I'll look into it...
Old 07-03-2018, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't seen many people running the stage 4 cam so I thought id ask how you like it!
I like the build! Subscribed to you on youtube as well. Looking forward to more videos!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lsx4thewin View Post
I haven't seen many people running the stage 4 cam so I thought id ask how you like it!
I like the build! Subscribed to you on youtube as well. Looking forward to more videos!
Yeah man, it's a great cam. Makes good power and sounds gnarly in person!! haha. Also, thank you so much for subbing!! All the new support is really motivational to keep grinding away at producing good content. Hopefully it's all halfway entertaining to watch! lol

In other news, I found out some more about the car from who owned it "two people ago", and the dyno tuner confirmed some things about it. Should be making around 400-410WHP.
-Chromemoly 7.400" Pushrods/BTR Valvetrain
-He thinks it has "Ported heads"
-The Longtubes are Speed Engineering 1-7/8" size into an offroad Y-Pipe
-Bilstein shocks are "b6pro" models that he sent out for custom valving
-Tick Master Cylinder
-Ram Slave Cylinder
-Gripforce Stage 2 Clutch (510HP/498TQ capable per the MFG website)
-The T56 is "built" out of another 2000 Trans AM

Here's a few pics I snagged from the PO's Facebook account. Super nice guy, and was extremely open about everything he did to the car. He said he sold it to who I bought it from for $200 more than I bought it for. They were both equally pained to sell it, and I don't blame them. It's a solid car at a good price!!

Cam/supporting mods being installed here

Trans being pulled after 4th gear went out here....

SO! Back to what's new with the car as of yesterday. I was in a local parade with a car group and it was really fun! A ton of people showed up for it and lots of people loved it. Was a really fun time!

In the next video, I'll be installing the replacement water pump, finishing the rear LED lighting, and doing the free ram air "FRA" mod to the lower air box. I may or may not do the transmission fluid too, as it's allegedly a pretty recently rebuilt/built unit and I'm not entirely sure it's worth it as of now haha. In the meantime I'll be uploading a video of the Vette tonight! Lot's done on that in preparation for a track day and dyno tuning session I've scheduled! I also find out if there's any smoke left in the tires hahaha!

Last edited by bjohn; 07-04-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 WS6 Build Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: