General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

New GM Block price rant

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GM Block price rant

Sorry for the rant but...…..the new prices on GM LS engine blocks is just ridiculous. Were now at just under $2000 for an LS3 block. There are many engine building business' that buy blocks by the dozens and just pass the price on to the end user. GM knows this and thus, there is the cost driver. Volume buyers are driving these prices. Those that just want one block have to pay "that" price. Recently I was at McDonalds. French Fries were $3.50. What does one potato cost? A nickel. So the total cost may be a dime for that bag of fries. I'll never buy that again. Ever. I'm making a point. Corporate America just got the biggest tax cut in History. Some passed some of their savings on to you and me and some are boning us worse than ever. Spend your cash wisely. I retired from GM. I'm ashamed that 10 billion in profit in one year is not enough. Price increases are just an accounting rounding figure now. Chevrolet prospered on the fact you couldn't go faster cheaper. Regretfully, that may be coming to an end. Richard
Old 06-28-2018, 10:14 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,084 Posts

I won’t build another GM block. I bought a used ls2 block, sent it out to Steve at RED and had it sleeved. Put a set of billet main caps in it, and could have almost went RHS for the money I have in it. Lesson learned.
I haven’t seen the $3.50 fries yet however...yikes.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

That's the plan for myself too. No more GM blocks. The aftermarket is pricing their products and saying we want your business. In the tooling industry we have lived and died by the simple law that says the highest quality, lowest cost producer gets all the work. Everyone else gets eaten alive by their own short comings. Either get it right or go home. Shops buying by the pallet load are driving retail costs. Were done.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Always gonna be guys that demand factory GM parts, And pay for them.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Scogging Dickey has new GM LS3 Block listed for $1902 with free shipping.

Scoggin Dickey has new LT1/LT4 Block listed for $1695 with free shipping

Seems like GM's way of saying they LT1/LT4 are the immediate future.

I would probably use my NOS LS6 block before paying $2000 for a factory LS3 Block.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:19 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Are there still sleeve alignment issues with the new LS3 blocks? Regardless of price, these are my favorite OEM block, followed with the L33

As for the LT blocks cheaper? Current production is always much cheaper than service supply is. When LS7 clutches were first out in mass production they were 230 bucks for the whole she bang from the dealer. Remember 243 heads brand new pr for 250? Ahhh yes the good ol days, get em while they're hot!!!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Some one at Mcds don't like you cause I was there today and the fries were a dollar.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LSX user
Sorry for the rant but...…..the new prices on GM LS engine blocks is just ridiculous. Were now at just under $2000 for an LS3 block. There are many engine building business' that buy blocks by the dozens and just pass the price on to the end user. GM knows this and thus, there is the cost driver. Volume buyers are driving these prices. Those that just want one block have to pay "that" price. Recently I was at McDonalds. French Fries were $3.50. What does one potato cost? A nickel. So the total cost may be a dime for that bag of fries. I'll never buy that again. Ever. I'm making a point. Corporate America just got the biggest tax cut in History. Some passed some of their savings on to you and me and some are boning us worse than ever. Spend your cash wisely. I retired from GM. I'm ashamed that 10 billion in profit in one year is not enough. Price increases are just an accounting rounding figure now. Chevrolet prospered on the fact you couldn't go faster cheaper. Regretfully, that may be coming to an end. Richard
This is generally outside the scope of this forum and starts to touch on a banned topic of which I don't wish to get into, but as you note a tax cut being one side of the coin, be aware that there are raw materials tariffs, notably (for an LS block) aluminum now in place that will drive up the manufacturing cost.

An LT block logically would be cheaper since GM is still casting 100s of thousands each year driven by the trucks (as well as the Vette/Camaro at lower volumes), whereas the LS3 block is no longer being made for production, so it's purely aftermarket volumes driving it which is a fraction of new volumes.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Some one at Mcds don't like you cause I was there today and the fries were a dollar.
lolz.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

I've never bought a block new from GM, unless you count the ones that came assembled in a vehicle.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

After some surfing on the www I came up with a fully machined ready to assemble DART SHP block for about $3000. An LSX block would be another $1000+ and then the specific covers etc. Aluminum blocks are about $5000 ready to build. So an LS3 @ $2000 might seem cheap to some. The 6.0 iron block is about $1200. The fact that the corporates got that tax cut from 35% to 21% makes these price increases questionable. Today, drug company's said they are freezing prices. Hmmm Maybe some get it !
Aluminum supply is not effected by trade restrictions. A couple years ago, Goldman Sachs was buying all available aluminum and storing it in empty buildings in Detroit. Then the FEDs came in. It was about this time I bought a ton of Alcoa stock at $7. I think it's around $45 today. I have no idea if GM or another supplier is casting their blocks. I know of one in Wisconsin and Michigan. Mexico does a lot. No EPA there. Most of our blocks were cast in the Defiance Ohio plant near Lima. Many race blocks were cast at Caterpillar. Edelbrock does a lot of OEM too. With today's machining centers and automation these blocks have to be out the door for less than $100. I guess a runner from LKQ for $2000 looks pretty good. Have fun. Richard

Quick Reply: New GM Block price rant