General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Chassis/Engine Selection for Highway Racing **in Japan**

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis/Engine Selection for Highway Racing **in Japan**

Hey guys, new user but long-time SBC fan (haven't owned one yet).

This is a post to work through my ideas for my next potential car project after I finish my Supra. I live in Japan and am fascinated by the Tokyo Wangan racing scene, which is basically an oval highway around Central Tokyo. Most racers there are running 800+hp Supras, GT-Rs, or exotics. I've thought for a while it would be neat to combine the power/packaging of an LS engine with the reliability, low weight, and ubiquitous availability of Toyota RWD sedans for a sleeper highway racer. I'm looking at two chassis in particular:

2009+ Mark X: ~3300lbs, 112in wheelbase
2008-2012 Crown: ~3,900lbs, same 112in wheelbase

Both are in the $8k$-15k price range used. The Crown is closer in size to a Pontiac G8/Chevy SS. Would there be any expected stability advantages to the larger car running an 800-1500hp LS on the highway? I'm thinking not as the wheelbases are the same. I'm not worried about electronics as I'd probably do an ECUMaster PMU setup. I'm building my Supra with an InfinityBox power distribution module kit but I'm not that happy with their customer support. Wish I had gone ECUMaster from Day 1 on it too....

Secondly, any guidance for selecting an engine package, given that I pretty much need to import EVERYTHING from the States? I was thinking a twin-turbo configuration instead of a supercharger. I'm trying to find the right intersection of affordability, reliability, and simplicity, but the US aftermarket is so gigantic that your options are paralyzing. Buy a stock block LS3 ERod or just go straight to someone like Steve Morris or NRE? I know there's a guy in Florida that swapped an LS1 into a Lexus IS250 which runs the same V6s as these two cars so I'm not TOO worried about space constraints.

Obviously anything can be built if you throw enough money at a project but this doesn't sound too outlandish, does it? The alternative would be to scrap the LSX idea and go with a BMW B58 at "only" ~600hp. That's the engine in the new 5th-gen Supra anyway so kinda keeping it in the family, consistent with Toyota's history of I6 sport sedans, almost certainly lighter than a TT LSX, and cheaper in the long run to own (Japan has displacement-based annual taxes, engines over 6.0L are $1,000 per year). Thanks for any guidance.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:52 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I would go with the largest wheelbase and lowest weight I could.

Importing is going to be your biggest problem. The E-Rod setup isn't optimal for huge power. Morris and NRE will be able to build you what you want and shouldn't have any issues exporting to Japan, but you will pay BIG.
I would contact some of the site sponsors here. Many of them can supply you with what you need, cheaper than Morris or NRE, and should be able to export as well.

And a tip for how we do things so cheap, we Import a considerable amount of parts from China.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Wait a year and start hitting the salvage auctions for an s58. You'll have everything you need to make it run and can part out the rest of the vehicle to make some money back. All in you'll spend about the same as importing a LS type engine that makes similar power.

Remember that importing an American v8 is going to be tricky since it's never passed safety or emissions checks over there. We have the same issue trying to import early evo's and supras into the US. It can be done but it's generally not worth the hassle.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Wouldn't it be more likely that a Holden would be more "importable" ?? Just curious..
Old 09-20-2018, 01:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I would expect that import restrictions would apply more to vehicles rather than parts, even engines. Even emissions issues are probably minimal if it's being used for racing and not registered for street use.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

If you're running the Shuto Expressway then it should probably be registered. At least that way you can claim you weren't actually racing if you get caught. A full blown race car would be hard to defend in court. If you're running one of the actual tracks and can find a way to trailer it around then don't hold back. Without knowing your exact plan it's harder to give specific suggestions.