General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

LSX 454R GM Crate Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lsx454R

I have a question on this lsx454R crate engine from GM ! Whats the deal i cant find any feed back on this engine if its reliable or if it performs any news or feed back on this crate engine would be of great help .. THANK you .
Old 09-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Question LSX 454R GM Crate Engine

I have a question...has anyone out here purchased a LSX 454R? If so I am looking on some feedback on reliability and performance. If you personally own one are you happy with it? I am looking to buy one, but can not find any feedback on reliability or performance. Since I have been looking I myself think there is a problem with this motor when you can not find any answers or feedback. It seems like they are trying to get rid of what stock is out there and not continue the program of this crate motor, unlike the ZZ502 which has been out since 1996 and its still available and being manufactured. I do not want to buy something that is going to be an issue. I just find it odd that I can't find any information...performance, reliability, anything, and they have discounted the price tremendously. Any information that you can give me is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

I don't own one and I don't have experience with the LSX 454R engine. I can think of three reasons the price is reduced.
1) Turbo 5.3's are dirt cheap and make more power.
MSRP $21,347, now $16,348per Chevy website and some special sales of ~$13,500 looks like the pricing and that buys this much power at the flywheel:

776 HP @7000 RPM
649 LB-FT @5100 RPM

For less what this motor costs, even at $13,500 one can do a very nasty junk yard 5.3 with a turbo and make 1000+ wheel horsepower. I think the 454R is victim to the junk yard LS turbo success. It's also possible to make the same power NA with a heads & cam LS7 that's carefully built for less money.

2) Old Fart's that love carbs are an endangered species.
I'm fifty-three years old and greatly dislike carburetors. I have a half dozen friends that are into cars that are around my age. All of them have fuel injected LS powered cars. One of them has a carb'd 70's Trans Am that he fools with. I have a 72 Vette with a carb. None of us have any real love of the carburetor. There are exceptions but overall carbs appear less popular now than even five years ago. The only carbs the younger generation really likes involves French fries.

3) The new direct injection LT1/LT4 is GM's hot new engine. The times are change. Soon the new GM DOHC will be on its way to being the latest technology. Also twenty years ago when the Gen 2 small block LT1 / LT4 ended production for new cars, they were phased out of the GM Performance Parts offerings over the years. That could happen with the 454R LSX eventually or the price go up for the small production numbers.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

It's basically a race only engine and it's old tech too. That really limits the number of people who are interested. You can go with a high power LS7 or LS9 or a turned up LSA and have something streetable with similar power. Or go aftermarket and get a turbo build for less money.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your truly interested in getting a lsx454r, I'd suggest deciding quickly as they are discontinued.
Old 10-24-2018, 07:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NovaNut21
If your truly interested in getting a lsx454r, I'd suggest deciding quickly as they are discontinued.
Guess that’s best to do