General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Impala ss or Trailblazer ss

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impala ss or Trailblazer ss

Hello

I have been debating or not if I should do an trade. I currently have an 07 impala ss but I came across a trailblazer ss that I have my eye on, I was wondering if I should go for it, (here is the vehicle.) https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/t-Used...ting=221574199

tell me what you guys think I am well aware of the problems these trucks have, I plan on using it to replace my DD which is currently my 07 ISS.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Teching In

How many miles on the tbss? They had BIG problems with the oil pickup in the pan. Thats why you dont see many ss trailblazers past 70k miles without a new or rebuilt engine. They put the oil pickup in the front of the oil pan. So when you pull hard, no oil is getting picked up at the front bcz the oil is in the back. Pcmofnc has the updated oil pickup tho. And the transmissions in the tbss are prone to failure as well. Tranny cooler is a must. I would drive the **** outve the tbss before i bought it.
-Sk
Old 11-02-2018, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I really liked the idea of grabbing one for a winter beater, but browse the TBSS forums, there are some good informational posts in there for noobie buyers. There's the well known oil pickup issues mentioned and the trans being undersized, lol like most 4L's behind an LS. Alot of front diff and transfer case failures. Front axle shafts always seem to leak. Lots of front suspension wear, balljoints, etc. They can be decent if lucky the problem is you never know the history. A lot of the owners say they love their trucks but would only buy new. 100K mile ones that look clean can be found for around 10K give or take so again it was intriguing but I decided it just wasn't worth the headache. A 2WD version would rule out some of the trouble spots probably.

I think I might be more inclined to suggest trying to find a used G8 GT if you can stretch the budget a hair more. Or a clean GTO as they're getting down there in price, either would make a nice DD in anything except a snowstorm.
Old 11-02-2018, 02:17 PM

Has about 144k the seller said the transmission was rebuilt a month ago also the last owner converted it from AWD to 2WD as mentioned in the description
Old 11-02-2018, 02:19 PM

Was also gonna have a trusted mechanic take a look at it before I consider buying , but I am gonna drive the sh*t out of it lol
Old 11-04-2018, 08:44 AM
Teching In

They probably used a 4wd transfer case locked in 2wd for the swap. Ppl have mixed feelings on the swap but ive considered doing it to mine when the t case blows. Those t cases are supposed to be able to hold a reasonable amount of power.
-sk
Old 11-18-2018, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lamarc Thompson
Was also gonna have a trusted mechanic take a look at it before I consider buying , but I am gonna drive the sh*t out of it lol
Like the other poster said above, either get an g8 gt or gto. If you get the trailblazer ss get ready to put in allot of money to even get it reliable since it has issues with the oil pan pickup.