General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

3 grand...

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3 grand...

what to do, i know you guys hate threads like this but i need help setting up a gameplan...
i want to go heads/cam.....i have 130k miles so alot of stuff may need redoing, this is where most of my help needs to be. i have an a4 that may be going out sometime soon, acting funny lately. ive always wanted a t56 swap so i definately want to try and do that. any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

with that many miles, i'd start building the car up to handle power. I'd get a built rear with some different gears. Then if you want a t-56, get a stronger than stock one witha good clutch. Then you'll be able to bring slicks or drag radials to the track and have some fun. I'ma boring king of guy though, trying to fix problems before they pop up.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cmon keep the A4 or go with a TH350 or 400 or even a 4L80E and get a big torque converter. But i would do a H/C package and then you will still be left with a grand to play with. Texas speed has the LS6 stage 1 heads and cam package for under 2gs. then get some susp. work done.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
with that many miles, i'd start building the car up to handle power. I'd get a built rear with some different gears. Then if you want a t-56, get a stronger than stock one witha good clutch. Then you'll be able to bring slicks or drag radials to the track and have some fun. I'ma boring king of guy though, trying to fix problems before they pop up.
I agree I would build that rear up and tranny first then miss with h/c later. I just think that car is gonna make too much power with h/c to use it to its full potential with a old 10 bolt and A4. Plus do you have headers/y-pipe yet? You might also want to think about those because H/C will suck with out your exhaust working to its max. just my .02
Old 11-16-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

i agree with keeping the a4.. because with that many miles the resale of your car isnt going to be very much and adding performance parts wont raise it much.. Unless you plan on getting a new block or forged motor etc, i just have your a4 tranny built and get a cam/nitrous package with torque converter and gears.. If you get an M6 its going to be 2500+ for a built one plus install and then you WILL NEED a new rear..
Old 11-16-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carado1984
i agree with keeping the a4.. because with that many miles the resale of your car isnt going to be very much and adding performance parts wont raise it much.. Unless you plan on getting a new block or forged motor etc, i just have your a4 tranny built and get a cam/nitrous package with torque converter and gears.. If you get an M6 its going to be 2500+ for a built one plus install and then you WILL NEED a new rear..
who si trying to increase the value by swapping a m6 into it? Also, mods kill resale, not increase it. You saw WILL NEED a new rear because of getting a m6, but he won't need one if he sticks with a auto and does a high compression package? either or will kill a rear with that many miles.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

itd be a bitch to make everything fit just perfect putting a manual tranny into it. i wouldnt worry about it. also youd have to get your ecu reprogrammed and what not, its just a hassle, plus auto's are quicker. just stick with the auto, fix whats broke, and upgrade what would need to be upgraded on your driveline to handle the h/c.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

I also would build up your suspention,trans. and then put a new motor in when it goes
Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Regular

i say go for the m6 swap, personally i think driving an auto is boring... it takes more skill to be good at driving stick.. unless you run at the track enough to need a 10 second car, id say the swap is a good idea if that is what you want to do.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say H/C package and use the rest to build the car up