General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

K&N vs. SLP I need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default K&N vs. SLP I need advice

My car is stock right now and i want it to breath a little better so should i go with the Cold-Air "FlowPac" from SLP or should i go with the K&N or mososso setup. Any advice helps K&N claims 15 horsepower while SLP claims up to 20 horsepower. I also need it to be C.A.R.B. certafied because i am from California i dont know if the SLP kit is CARB certafied.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say neither and just buy a new lid..
Old 07-01-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kyle91z28
I say neither and just buy a new lid..
Don't waste your money on "flowpacs" and expensive reusable intake bs. Just get yourself a 50 dollar lid and call it a day. Use the $150 you saved for something worthwhile like saving for future mods, bills, gas, or beer.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

I agree with the others, just get a lid. There's nothing wrong with the re-useable gauze type filters though, I personally run a Holley Powershot and like it.
Old 07-01-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I agree with the others, just get a lid. There's nothing wrong with the re-useable gauze type filters though, I personally run a Holley Powershot and like it.
There's nothing wrong with them, other than inferior filtration when compared to a paper filter, and their inflated cost. They also arguably have the potential to foul your maf readings a bit if some of the oil they require to filter anything but the largest of particles happens to get stuck on your maf wires. Not worth it if you ask me, but if you already have one then cool. You will also not gain any power by using one, which is why a majority of people purchase them to begin with.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
There's nothing wrong with them, other than inferior filtration when compared to a paper filter, and their inflated cost. They also arguably have the potential to foul your maf readings a bit if some of the oil they require to filter anything but the largest of particles happens to get stuck on your maf wires. Not worth it if you ask me, but if you already have one then cool. You will also not gain any power by using one, which is why a majority of people purchase them to begin with.
Wow, you sure are a hater of gauze type filters

In my experience using them, I haven't had a single problem. The people that do, are over oiling them, that's not the filters fault. If maintained properly, the filtering is sufficient enough. My intake tract is always free of dust and debris.

To each his own
Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Wow, you sure are a hater of gauze type filters

In my experience using them, I haven't had a single problem. The people that do, are over oiling them, that's not the filters fault. If maintained properly, the filtering is sufficient enough. My intake tract is always free of dust and debris.

To each his own
Meh, just not worth the hassle to me for 0 gain. I still have the K&N that came with my car when I bought it around here some place. I keep meaning to sell it but I'm lazy.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

whisper lids are cool
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i will 2nd what everyone else said.. buy a LID ... any lid. slp, whisper, MTI, there all the same. keep your paper filter from the factory, if you wanna go futher get the SSRA or FTRA (super sucker ram air, Fast toys ram air) they pull cool air up from below the car, and work great with a lid.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Paper filters rule! Simple and trouble free.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Buy a decent lid and do the FRA mod...