General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

will a bump in compression help with drivability

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will a bump in compression help with drivability

Say you have a daily driver cam only car with a good deal of overlap and some bucking and whatnot. Will bumping up the compression with milled heads help with the drivability? Assuming the car has been retuned when the heads are added.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Personally id say tuning is the culprit for the poor driving manners

compression could lend a hand, but so much depends on your exact camshaft, might help if you posted it.

sometimes compression will help ease the driveability of a larger cam, but it all depends on how the camshaft timing events work out with the motor build... i.e., how your dynamic compression for one calculates out.

if the tuning is dead-nuts-on-absolutely-perfect then the issue has more to do with intake charge reversion, and exhaust contamination, which can be helped on the exhaust side with a set of long tube headers, and the intake side with a stupidly expensive ITB intake like the Harrop.

might be best to get a cam guru in here like patrick or predatorZ.

Id also talk to a mod about getting this moved into the genIII internal engine forum, youll have more bites there.

Last edited by nine-eight; 04-03-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

What drivability issues are you having? Also a mod list would help with cam size. This could all be tunning related. Where was the car tuned?
Old 03-22-2008, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Well I'll be honost with you, I was looking for a black and white answer (which is why I posted in here). Apparantly it's not that simple. But anyways, I'm rocking a 228/232 110 with 10* of overlap. The car simply has some bucking issues at lower rpms, nothing too serious. It's an m6 car iwth 4.10s. I was planning on putting heads on the car in the next few months and was just curious. Thanks for the help. I do plan on having a different shop install the heads and retune the car, so we'll see what happens.