LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   General LSX Automobile Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion-118/)
-   -   Clunking noise comming from under the center console & shifter...what is it??? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/950484-clunking-noise-comming-under-center-console-shifter-what.html)

01 Trans-Am WS6 07-08-2008 12:15 AM

Clunking noise comming from under the center console & shifter...what is it???

Yesterday me and my girlfriend were in my car (01 Trans-Am WS6), we were crusing on the highway heading home from a day out, when all of a sudden we hear this loud clunking noise comming from under the center console/shifter. It felt like something was hitting the bottom of the console, and you could feel the bump if your arm was leaning on it. I pulled over and looked under the car, I was on the side of the highway so I coulden't get a good look, just saw that nothing was dangling or leaking. I also noticed it did this noise when I hit the brakes, not slamming on them, just regularly hitting them to slow. Sounds like something is loose under the car. So I continued the drive on home, then driving it today to work it was doing the same thing, sometimes when I let off the gas and get back on it clunks, other times when I hit the brakes and let off it clunks, and also I was NOT beating on the car AT ALL when I first started hearing the sounds, I was honestly crusing at 70MPH in 6th gear on the highway...one of the rare times I can honestly say that lol. It does not feel like a transmission or clutch problem, every gear still worked fine with no grinds or popping out, also clutch felt fine and shifting was fine. Today when I got home from work I called a friend over to take a look under the car...at first I thought the driveshaft may be loose somehow, then we thought a transmission mount, and also possibly a U-Joint. We got under the car and looked, mind you this is just jacked up in my driveway so we didn't get a real good look at it, but from what we saw the driveshaft is fine, the transmount looks fine, and the U-Joint also looks alright and is not leaking or anything. Tomm I plan on bringing it to a shop with a lift, but I figured I'd post it on here to see if its a common problem and maybe someone can help me out prior to it. Thanks and if you need more info just ask.

candlelit 07-08-2008 12:18 AM

I had similar symptoms before on my last TA. found a loose bolt in a lower control arm.

01 Trans-Am WS6 07-08-2008 02:18 AM

Anyone else?

CranMaro99 07-08-2008 10:57 AM

I would also check your tranny mount because it seems like it may be broken. Check your LCAs like someone else said as well.

slayerized6 07-08-2008 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by CranMaro99 (Post 9697855)
I would also check your tranny mount because it seems like it may be broken. Check your LCAs like someone else said as well.

i had the same problem. tranny was hitting the trans tunnel. fixed it with a $20 autozone mount.

PewterScreaminMach 07-08-2008 11:44 AM

It was the tranny mount on my 88 Formula when I had that noise.

01 Trans-Am WS6 07-08-2008 12:15 PM

Alright so it seems like either a tranny mount or something with the LCA. Thanks alot guys for the help!

SS#2906 07-08-2008 01:35 PM

I'd bet it's the TA mount. I had the bolt come off once and it made the exact same noise under braking/accelaration. It sounds like if someone was hitting the center console with a bat from the bottom.

01 Trans-Am WS6 07-08-2008 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by SS#2906 (Post 9698777)
I'd bet it's the TA mount. I had the bolt come off once and it made the exact same noise under braking/accelaration. It sounds like if someone was hitting the center console with a bat from the bottom.

EXACTLY what im talking about...I actually freaked my girlfriend out telling her there was a hand in the center console trying to break out haha

01 Trans-Am WS6 07-08-2008 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by SS#2906 (Post 9698777)

You were exactly right....the bolt popped out of the torque arm mount...its all better now though!

Thanks everyone for the help!

2000_SS 07-08-2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6 (Post 9699692)
You were exactly right....the bolt popped out of the torque arm mount...its all better now though!

Thanks everyone for the help!

beat me to it....same thing happened to me one time....i was gonna suggest checking the TA....glad you fixed it.

01ssreda4 07-09-2008 06:49 PM

mine backed out too. all of the sudden one day, was prolly loose for a while.

01 Trans-Am WS6 07-10-2008 12:46 AM

Shit is on there TIGHT now so hopefully it will be good from now on...but if not I know what the problem is

01CamaroZ28 07-10-2008 06:48 AM

hope it works out. I cant come up with anything else but the TA mount or the trans mount

Kevin Banner 03-09-2019 02:59 PM

[QUOTE=01 Trans-Am WS6;9699692]You were exactly right....the bolt popped out of the torque arm mount...its all better now though!

Thanks everyone for the help![/QUOTE

Did u have to replace the mount are the bolt ?

DaddySS 03-10-2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by 01 Trans-Am WS6 (Post 9696084)
Yesterday me and my girlfriend were in my car (01 Trans-Am WS6), we were crusing on the highway heading home from a day out, when all of a sudden we hear this loud clunking noise comming from under the center console/shifter. It felt like something was hitting the bottom of the console, and you could feel the bump if your arm was leaning on it. I pulled over and looked under the car, I was on the side of the highway so I coulden't get a good look, just saw that nothing was dangling or leaking. I also noticed it did this noise when I hit the brakes, not slamming on them, just regularly hitting them to slow. Sounds like something is loose under the car. So I continued the drive on home, then driving it today to work it was doing the same thing, sometimes when I let off the gas and get back on it clunks, other times when I hit the brakes and let off it clunks, and also I was NOT beating on the car AT ALL when I first started hearing the sounds, I was honestly crusing at 70MPH in 6th gear on the highway...one of the rare times I can honestly say that lol. It does not feel like a transmission or clutch problem, every gear still worked fine with no grinds or popping out, also clutch felt fine and shifting was fine. Today when I got home from work I called a friend over to take a look under the car...at first I thought the driveshaft may be loose somehow, then we thought a transmission mount, and also possibly a U-Joint. We got under the car and looked, mind you this is just jacked up in my driveway so we didn't get a real good look at it, but from what we saw the driveshaft is fine, the transmount looks fine, and the U-Joint also looks alright and is not leaking or anything. Tomm I plan on bringing it to a shop with a lift, but I figured I'd post it on here to see if its a common problem and maybe someone can help me out prior to it. Thanks and if you need more info just ask.

Universal joint, trans mount or torgue arm bushing.

qweedqwag 03-19-2019 10:31 PM

Another reason to shit can the stock torque arm.

silester 04-07-2019 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by qweedqwag (Post 20066475)
Another reason to shit can the stock torque arm.

I have this same issue and i have the adjustable UMI torque arm thats has its own mount. My car was an auto car we put a T56 in it, I replaced the tranny mount which was torn, but its still sounds like something is hitting the car from the bottom. What am I missing?