General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Emissions equipment -how long is it covered?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions equipment -how long is it covered?

Thinking I have the old clogged cats crap on a 69k mile WS6.

I was getting codes for the front 02s, then I changed plugs wires, and front 02s, and still getting front o2 codes. Ill check the vacuum later to make sure.

Anyway, how long are the cats covered under warranty? Is mileage dependent only?

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

Recently it was posted that there was extended coverage on these cars up to 100k for the original cats. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out with specific info. You could always call a few Pontiac dealers too. If you have an honest one (and up to date) in your area they will let you know.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

They are covered under warranty. I had to have one of mine replaced six months after I purchased my car. I don't know the bulletin number as I received the information through the mail but as soon as I find it I'll post it.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

What makes you think you have clogged up cats in the first place?
Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's because they sound like utter ****, I think mine might be too.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vicinity
If it's because they sound like utter ****, I think mine might be too.
mine sound like **** as well, i thought it was my catback till i got a cutout, and i can still hear them (tho the sound of the exhaust covers it up a good bit, you can still hear them)
Old 07-14-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 406malibu
mine sound like **** as well, i thought it was my catback till i got a cutout, and i can still hear them (tho the sound of the exhaust covers it up a good bit, you can still hear them)
When you say you can hear the cats, does it sound like rocks rattling around inside a can?

That's what mine sounded like for a couple months before the engine light and codes started. The warranty was extended to 100,000 but there may have also been a time limit, but I don't recall. The letter came a few years ago for my '01 which got traded for the car I have now.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ghardester
When you say you can hear the cats, does it sound like rocks rattling around inside a can?

That's what mine sounded like for a couple months before the engine light and codes started. The warranty was extended to 100,000 but there may have also been a time limit, but I don't recall. The letter came a few years ago for my '01 which got traded for the car I have now.
Yeah, actually mine sounds like that. Cept my body is over 100k miles.

I think it comes from the Y pipe (or whatever the stock piece is called). I originally thought it was the stock catback, but the sound doesn't sound like it came from that... I think I'm going to buy LT's and a Y, then just buy a catback to finish it off to get rid of that gay *** sound. It's actually sort of embarrassing for the sound to come up when I rev by people.

Sorry for the minirant