General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Blew a tire, sporting a doughnut, now I have 3 lights on???

Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Blew a tire, sporting a doughnut, now I have 3 lights on???

Ok so make this a long story short, i blew a tire the other day and im rocking out my doughnut right now cause I decided im just going to store it early, so no need to buy a tire right now. I was driving into class this morning, and the car was viberating a little bit, after 5 min of driving my abs inop, tcs off, break light came on all at once, now what could of caused that? Is there some sensor that might have gotten wacked? Or is it cause I have a different size tire on it? Doughnut is on the drivers front fwiw. Then when I come to a slow stop it feels like one of the tires has a golf ball size buldge on it, it would rock back and forth. I didn't have time to look at all of the tires.

Any suggestions? And yes, I feel like a total tool driving it around with a doughnut......ugh
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 AM
11 Second Club

You are right...different tire sizes. About the feeling of the tires...I have no idea.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you check tire pressure or see if the lugs were tight enough. it should have about 60psi in the donut
Old 10-17-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

is the donut on the front or the back? You really don't want to drive with a donut on the back..
Old 10-17-2008, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by chavez885
is the donut on the front or the back? You really don't want to drive with a donut on the back..

I had too. It ******* sucked...I was going about 35 mph all the way on my 60 mile trip lol.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcalus
Ok so make this a long story short, i blew a tire the other day and im rocking out my doughnut right now cause I decided im just going to store it early, so no need to buy a tire right now. I was driving into class this morning, and the car was viberating a little bit, after 5 min of driving my abs inop, tcs off, break light came on all at once, now what could of caused that? Is there some sensor that might have gotten wacked? Or is it cause I have a different size tire on it? Doughnut is on the drivers front fwiw. Then when I come to a slow stop it feels like one of the tires has a golf ball size buldge on it, it would rock back and forth. I didn't have time to look at all of the tires.

Any suggestions? And yes, I feel like a total tool driving it around with a doughnut......ugh
Originally Posted by chavez885

Old 10-17-2008, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

The doughnut is probably throwing off your ABS system... You have a WSS (wheel speed sensor) up there, and changing the tire size will effect that... Tires that are smaller in diameter up front will cause ABS to operate improperly... Having One tire smaller than the other will cause the whole system to malfunction, and act funny.

You might have broken a suspension component to cause the car to feel like it has a bulge in the tire... The doughnuts are designed to get you to the nearest tire shop, they aren't intended to drive around on, especially over 45 mph. You are putting more of a load on the right front tire due to the size difference, have you hit any bumps? railroad tracks? How long have you been driving around on the doughnut?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know that it isn't meant to be driven on for long peiords of times, or even short ones at that, the tire blew last Sunday. I have only been driving it around town, no highway use. The fastest I have gone is 50 at the MAX. I go over railroads everyday, and I live on a dirt road. I wont be driving it after this weekend. The abs/asr/break light go off and dont come back on when I shut it off and restart it. I has only came on twice in the last week.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

Well the reason that it is coming on is the difference in tire rotation. I believe we have 4 channel ABS which means that we have two WSS's in the back... one WSS is measuring a different level of voltage than the other. If you were to slam your brakes, the ABS light would come on, and would not work.
The ABS light comes on when your ABS senses a problem, and it shuts the ABS back off.. But until the WSS senses that one of your tires isn't rotating (skidding), the system remains off, that's why the light isn't always on.

There's nothing wrong with the sensor, it's functioning like it should... once you put the OEM size wheel back on, you shouldn't see any lights.

Hope this makes sense.. Good luck with the rocking back and forth... hope it's nothing serious.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, haha umm...... I blew the donut too.....

Whatever, the car is on jackstands currently until I can get 4 donuts and its going in the garage for winter after a good detail.

Here is the pics

The original tire.

What started it all, well this is where it was first split.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:54 PM
12 Second Club

damn dude your blow out on the original tire was because that tie like dry rotted. lol.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Banned

those tires are worn and old, dont expect them to make the car drive perfect, see if some new tires would fix ur issue.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ae13291
those tires are worn and old, dont expect them to make the car drive perfect, see if some new tires would fix ur issue.
And if it doesn't then there goes another set of tires, it hasn't had an alignment since its been lowered, im 99.9% positive thats the reason.....
Old 10-18-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

there is nothing to align on the back unless the rear tire is rubbing.. which u need a panhard rod then... adj one..
Old 10-18-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gun5
there is nothing to align on the back unless the rear tire is rubbing.. which u need a panhard rod then... adj one..
Its the front.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blew a tire, sporting a doughnut, now I have 3 lights on???